Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Change of plans. 5 nights NYC, 2week Car hire out of NYC. 4 Weeks West Coast Pick up & drop off, Hire car LAX. Routes, thoughts and suggestions gratefully wanted and needed. ;-)

Search

Change of plans. 5 nights NYC, 2week Car hire out of NYC. 4 Weeks West Coast Pick up & drop off, Hire car LAX. Routes, thoughts and suggestions gratefully wanted and needed. ;-)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had planned to spend up to 6 weeks driving the West Coast. But 'my' love of NYC and the hope of driving 'up' from NYC won out.

New plan is............. Depart Brisbane for LA 1 Oct. Fill in about 6 hours at LAX (not a big problem, flying b/class so will have use of lounge for showering etc.) Then arrive NYC at "1 am". Yep that’s a bit tough, but there’s only the two of us and we plan to spend 5 nights in the city. Then collect hire car and just drive. I would love to see some autumn colours, which if I'm correct should be the right time of year???

Would love your suggestions on which way to head and fav' Inns, B&B's etc? Hoping for quaint towns, 4* accommodation and great food. After our 5 nights in NYC we are not that interested in big cities. We have been to NYC twice before, but first time on our own so mostly just take it easy, see a show etc.

Then we head back to LA (15th Oct), where we will 'immediately' pick up a car and go. Points of interest and 'rough' plans are.......

Drive pacific coast to San Francisco (we've been before, so just a night or two) stopping in at Carmel and would like to go to a winery or two. Then head back down to Yosemite (missed it on the last trip as it was March and we attempted to cross the Tioga Pass!!!!!!!!!!) and would like to be in Vegas for Nov 3 (25 wedding anniversary) and hopefully see Bette Midler.

So what are your thoughts? Not too vague I hope? We plan to be very flexible and avoid cities and just see some beautiful scenery, eat great food and drink nice wine. Looking forward to all suggestion.
AD
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just time for one very quick comment right now . . .

You may run into Tioga Pass problems again. The average closing date is Nov 1 - but it can close any time from early Sept onwards.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Yep......sigh. We are planning on driving around AGAIN, but if we are lucky we may make it.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM

If you want to see the foliage and stay in B&B's, you should probably head up to New England. Or maybe fly to Boston instead of New York and then drive down to Manhattan or take a train? Or you planning to drive all the way from the east coast to LA?
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the reply. I foolishly didnt 'tag' this to any States...... So in the USA only tag it dropped off to the second page almost straight away.

No, I should have mentioned we have used points for flights from LA to NYC and return to LAX on the 15th Oct.

New England sounds like a great idea.

(ps. do you think I should repost and tag it better?)
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You have chosen a great time to see the peak foliage time in Vermont.
Look at Manchester, Middlebury,Shelllbourne, Burlington,Stowe, Waterbury, Weston, WaitsfieldNorwich, Woodstock, Grafton, etc. Book quickly as many repeat visitors book a year ahead.