Cap on tourists Galapagos Islands

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cap on tourists Galapagos Islands

Hi all, planning a land-based trip to Galapagos next summer. Have been hearing about people getting turned away (and there is a cap on the number of people allowed on the islands per day). Just wondering how do I ensure I can get there once I book? I don't want to pay all my money and go there only to get turned away. Can people help with this? Want to be prepared.

Thanks
Karen
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:28 PM

Why not contact one of the numerous Ecuador-based travel agencies which specialize in Galapagos. They will be up to date on how this is actually enforced, if in fact it is.
And they can assist in making any reservations.

I'm assuming you know that many islands cannot be visited on a "land based trip". Capacity controls are implemented through strict scheduling of the ship-based tours.
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 03:08 AM

There is no official cap on tourism in Galapagos

This misconception survives despite the absence of any real cap on tourism, nor any serious discussion about it by Ecuadorian government officials. The only limitation to going to the Galapagos is a physical/logistical one. There are 65 expedition ships in the islands and their total capacity is capped. They operate at about 85-90% capacity - so there is usually room for you if you want to go (you might have to book in advance a little). But only about 30% of people go on an expedition cruise. Land based visits are skyrocketing (from about zero 25 years ago to nearly 200,000 people per year in 2018) and there is no limit there. Land based is usually cheaper and offers, in my opinion, a lower quality visit (you are limited to seeing only nearby sites, and typically at mid-day when conditions are poorest).