Search

Buenos Aires Tours

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires Tours

I will be in BA in January and would appreciate any advice on good city tours, gaucho tours and tango tours. I have read that some tango tours offer lessons but I cannot find any- they all appear to be a dinner and show. Anyways which are the good Tango dinner and shows for that matter.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For city tours, look at Eternautas.www.eternautas.com run by historians, many choices and well done.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM

The Tango dinner with show can run the gamut of very pricey _ at the Faena Hotel , or reasonable.. Cafe Tortoni..
The big shows are very Las Vegas style and I am not sure if the food is great... you can just go to Cafe Tortoni and watch a great authentic Tango/Music show then go somewhere good for dinner.

The Cicerones are great, free and you tell them what you want to see and do ..
http://www.cicerones.org.ar/index_spa.php

There are tours on the Buenos Aires Bus which I see all the time in my neighborhood and with the good weather, they are always full..
http://www.buenosairesbus.com/servicio_eng.htm

Any good guide book will have all the Tango show venues with website or phone numbers so you can see what they offer, price etc..
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Scarlett - Do you know if the bus is any good?
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Check out Tangol.com. I used their services by just walking in and selecting my tours. I did an estancia tour with them which was quite, quite nice, and their prices were indeed reasonable. At this juncture I cannot state what I paid for my other tour.

This tour company is located off Florida Street. I took a taxi from my apartment and went there. Florida Street is all pedestrian. Ignore the many hawkers.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM

My husband and I just returned from B.A. and saw the show at Cafe Tortoni. It was more show than dance...had musicians and a singer...but had plenty of dance, too. It lasted about an hour, which was a good length we thought. We went to the Cafe about 1930 and grabbed dinner. Our waiter arraigned the tickets and he continued our drink service in the basement, where the show was held. It was quite popular. We thought it was fun to see in the historic cafe and unless you are REALLY into tango, this would probably be fine. PS- our dinner at the Cafe was good, too.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Christo,

check out my thread below for advice on Tango lessons.

'Buenos Airies accomodation recommendations? '

Also, check out my other thread: ' GTG in B A in January?'

You may be interested in joining us. I understand you live near Ottawa. So do we. Maybe you'd like to get together another day? We are there for a month, Jan. 8th to Feb 6th
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM

we did a tango lesson at Carlos Copello and it was great. Our instructor was Maxi: http://www.maxicopello.com/NadiaJohnson/Home.html
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM

We just returned as well. Just an update on the Buenos Aires Bus . . .
It was great. It was extremely inexpensive and gave us a nice overview of the city. We took the ride our first day in the city. We hopped off in a few places and took in more of the sites. Then later (our other days in BsAs) we knew where we wanted to go back and explore in more detail.
Our only problem was getting on the bus in La Boca - it was really crowded and we had to sit in a seat where there were no headphones to listen to the audio tour. I would still recommend it though.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM

just returned from Buenos Aires and did the buenosairesbus.com tour....firstly the bus seems to go off route due to road closings etc so couldnt find the bus stop. However we chased it down in a taxi and got on. during the week the traffic is bad so there is a lot of sitting in jams. It started to rain on the day we went and sitting upstairs everyone(including me) got soaked sitting on the outside edge seats. Plus because it was pouring nobody wanted to get off, so the bus was crowded and all the people waiting at various stops on the route ( you should be able to hop on and off all day) could not get back on, they were not too happy...so my advice would be to pick a sunny weekend to do this tour.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 03:12 PM

www.eternautas.com I did 4 tours with them....2 private and 2 small group ones. I was totally satisfied. This was in December 2008. Happy Travels!