Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

best Spanish phrases to learn before going to Buenos Aires?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to know some shortcuts in Spanish? I will travel alone- mid-50's and managed Barcelona and Florence last year. Renting an apartment in BA in November, in Recoleta from BAHabitat as this forum suggested along the way. Is it possible to share a car ride into BA?
Seems like a ton of things to do, places to see, even for a newbie to South America like me! I am looking forward to the adventure!
ALso, I have noticed someone said to bring along goodies to give beggars on the street ( not just kids, I presume) what might a good item be? LED flashlights? Coins? FOod items? I have no idea/
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM

Here is a link to the Fodors spanish language guide which is a good starting point:
http://www.fodors.com/language/spanish/

Most useful phrase - Otra cerveza por favor..

As for what to bring along for beggars, firstly I can't say I noticed any when we were there and, if I had done I really don't think handouts are the best thing to do. far better to donate to a local homeless charity where your cash will be used to much better effect.

Can't really help with sharing a car ride into the city as we arrived by ferry but I doubt this facility exists in any formal sense
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 01:58 AM

Second most useful phrase especially after the first...

Donde esta el quarto de bano?
(where is the bathroom?)

Bring along a pocket phrasebook from amazon.com cheap

Try to speak the local lingo it is considered respectful but

Lots of english speakers you will have no troubles...

rosttastone.com some great crash courses if interested

from $50 pp each for up to 4 folks...

Begging is an industry down there they your change

not interested in much else but I have used pencils jard candy

cheap calulators baseball caps in truly poverty areas

They have been most appreciated.

www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires.com good info

careful many scams taxis counterfeit

money changers apartments etc.

travel.state. for a heads up on entry crime safety

insuremytrip.com always wise....

Have Fun
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM

Most useful phrase: Cuánto cuesta? How much does it cost? LOL!!!

While it IS possible to share a car ride into BA, I would NOT advise doing it. It costs just about the equivalent of 50 dollars if you use http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp as I advise for first timers, so it's not really a big deal.

BA Habitat should be able to arrange transportation into town for you. The advantage of this arrangement should be that the driver can tell the person who is supposed to expect you at the apartment the exact time you will get there.

Avoid like the plague the conveniently located booth of the crooks from Global Exchange, if you wish to change money.

I would NOT give anything to the beggars in the street. Maybe a cookie or candy for the children, but NO money.

Any further questions welcome.

Have a great time in our town.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM

As a good conversation starter you might try:

'que ganó la Copa América?'
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Argentines are not very happy with the outcome of the Copa América, so I believe Carlos69 is joking.

So, Sallygator, I suggest you DON´T ask "quién ganó la Copa América?"
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 06:32 AM

"Necesito un....." and fill in with bank, store, doctor, restaurant, etc. along with "Por favor" and "Gracias" are all good phrases to know.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/en/index.htm Another good option for airport transportation that can be pre-booked. It will cost you US$ 37-50 depending on your apt. location.

www.123teachme.com is a website for learning basic Spanish with different levels.

I would not give out gifts or money to beggars on the street. My friends in Cordoba province took me to a children's shelter they support, we toured it and donated money to the organization after feeling comfortable it would be well spent.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:26 AM

avrooster: I ask Cuánto cuesta, por favor? Then, I get a rapid answer in Spanish that I can't follow. How would I say: write the price in Spanish?
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Me escribe el precio, por favor? LOL!!
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM

That is simple. Thank you!
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM

I appreciate your response to Quien gano la copa America:_? WHO WON the Copa America
2011, that is Soccer;:_?
Uruguay did, being uruguayan I appreciate it.
It is a mystery why Argentina could no do better having extraordinary good players like Messi.Si

Since Barcelona won the Europa c
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM

....I WISH TO ADD,..... it is a mistery to me, why Argentina did not do better in the America Cup
having extraordinary players like Messi, since Barcelona won the Europa Cup 2011 in part due to Messi. I was in Cataluña when they won it and Messi is loved and considered their best player and the Barcelona team has many other stars.
be
In Summary a better conversation phrase would be Messi es un gran jugador. good luck.

ould
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM

¿Dónde esta el baño? - where is the bathroom?
Cuanto? - how much?
Cuando? - when?
Agua sin gas - water without gas (plain water)
Agua con gas - with gas, sparkling water
Quiero bife de lomo - I want tenderloin steak
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you! I appreciate the replies and suggestions. I am getting excited about the trip. Last major city visited was Paris so this will be quite a change. I expect a decent bus system, will hope for the best with transportation to laPlata and just looking forward to basic COMPLELETLY NEW ADVENTURE in November! Gracias a los todos!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Hi we just got back..You can walk from the Recoletta to alot of places..you wont need a cab..but to San Telmo yes.. and to Palermo Soho yes..these were 35 pesos..so like 10 dollars with a tip..not very much at all..

Begging was an industry..you would see the same people over time...
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM

One important thing to note is that ll is pronounced differently in Argentina. If you buy a tape or read the phonetic pronunciations in most books you won't understand what people are saying. For example, Cual es su apellido? (What is your name?) is Qwal es sue apuhsheedo? Most books will tell you ll is pronounced like yuh but in BA you need more of a sh sound. Mostly this matters for calle (street) which sounds like cashay and the street name Callao cashow. You need to know that street name to go to El Sanjuanino for empanadas!
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Oh Teach2travel - would that you were there on our first BsAs visit. We stayed near Callao and mispronounced it (and like words) the entire time we were in Buenos Aires - until I queried the Concierge at our hotel - he laughed and explained. Now they just laugh at our pathetic attempts to speak Spanish - but with a great 'LL' 'y' and 'J'

~Marnie
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM

I had to ask about Callao the last time I was there! I spent a month and feel like I finally graped the ll of BA so I could understand what was being said.