Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

BA The Second Time Around. Any Suggestions On What to Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our second trip to BA, Jan/Feb 2012. We are going to renti an apartment for 4-6 weeks. Previously, we rented an apt for a month in 2010.

We are looking for ideas on what we may have missed in the city & where to go outside of the city.

Last time, we went to most of the museums in the various guide books, the parks & gardens, to the ecological reserve (twice), tango shows, & the Sunday markets, We shopped throughout Palermo, ate at many wonderful restaurants all over the city, picnicked on our balcony, went to a wine & food evening at a closed door restaurant, drank endless Malbec, ate gallons of helado, went to 2 GTGs, went to Tigre (twice), & went to the magnificent Iguazu Falls for 3 days. We. walked for miles in & around Recoleta, Palermo, San Telmo. La Bocca, etc.

This time, we will go to the Teatro Colon if, it finally opened. We plan to go back to the Tigre Delta & stay in a B & B on one of the little islands for a night. Also, to go to Colonia or perhaps, Montevideo. We would like to go to a wine area such as Salta or
Mendoza. Salta would be our first choice. But, I have read it can be very rainy at that time of year. As we are from the Pacific North West & feel we get quite enough rain at home. LOL!

Any information on local BA adventures, new restaurants, out of BA experiences, etc. would all be appreciated.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Hi, Condu!

It could be too warm for Salta, at that time of the year.

Shouldn´t you at least consider a few days in our wonderful South?

Otherwise, you may or may not find some novel ideas in this collection of trip reports, started by yours truly:

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...ed-reading.cfm

No matter what you choose to do, you know you'll have a great time in our country.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

avrooster: I would love to go & see the penguins in Argentina's wonderful south. But, I am a fair weather traveler. I prefer to
go places that I don't have to wear a jacket. I wear one at home so many months each year. I will have to think about it.

I have been reading the posts on BA & Argentina ever since I left BA & I will continue to do so. All of the experts on Fodor's forums are so knowledgeable & helpful!
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Thank you, Condu.

You don´t have to wear a jacket in Bariloche, during our summer. Further South, sometimes.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 02:06 PM

Well, as a 'fair weather' traveler, who is in the unusual category of loving BsAs in January and February, we did not have any difficulty with the hot weather in the Northwest during those months. We DID have airconditioning where we slept and in our rental car, but I do not even know if we used it.

And then we did wear jeans and sweaters or jackets in the Bariloche area in the early mornings and in the evenings - during that same time of year.

I'm just saying.....

~Marnie
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 02:34 PM

We can agree to disagree, Marnie.

I said "it COULD be too warm for Salta" during our summer. Maybe you were lucky and got some cool days.

We can agree about the "sweaters or jackets" for Bariloche, but only for the early mornings and evenings, as you said.

Just saying.... LOL!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

I like it hot. But, I also, like to go back to my A/C apartment to cool off. <Huge grin.> I don't want to drag a heavy jacket around. I travel lightly. (Though my DH would disagree!) LOL! I don't mind taking along a light jacket for the plane trips, A/C at the airports, rainy days, etc.
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:43 AM

Avrooster is correct (no surprise there) as are you, Condu, that having that air-conditioning is important in January/February whether in the NOA or BsAs, for that matter.

But I think we have similar personal thermostats, and just that you should not rule out the NOA in February.

I am listening, too
~M
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

MarnieWDC: I am going to explore all the info you sent me on the NOA. I am pretty sure will be making this area part of our trip!
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM

The point I'm trying to make is that our summer is THE time to visit our South (unless you are into winter sports), whereas our NW is wonderful during our winter and not cold at all.

See my NW Argentina report, from way back in July 2006, at the time when I was one of the leading posters on TA, instead of a proscript! LOL!!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Argentina.html

Have a great time in our country.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM

PS still missed on TA.

~Marnie
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM

Yes, Bariloche would be a great option. Simply magnificent scenery.

Mendoza for the vineyards, wine and some good food in spots.

You may also want to spend a night or two in Montevideo. We found the city very interesting, attractive with a sea front with buildings and beaches a bit like Rio. Very friendly people. It is more interesting than Colonia. Easy to reach. And, if you want a few more days in Uruguay then take a drive up past Punta del Este and head to Jose Ignacio. Miles of beaches and a very tranquil relaxing area. January is high high season, and prices, with prices falling a bit by February.

PS
Make sure you do take the Teatro Colon tour; fascinating.
Have a good time.
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM

Marnie: I MAY be missed on TA by you and few more people, but, as you well know, some of those TA DEs do NOT miss me at all, perhaps because I'm inclined to "tell it like it is".
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM

We are only just home...10 days and I was trying to make some time to write about a few of our experiences.So quickly then, may I suggest a tour of the Palacio Barolo if you have not already been to this amazing building. If not, get in touch with Tomas Tharigen [email protected] and go at night. It is enLIGHTening and great fun.Good Luck seeing any operas. We thought we would manage one but the musicians are still on strike. As for the tour...terrific! One other item is Colonia..hmmm...we kept thinking we must have missed something. Took the Buquebus over very early and spent a day there in a few hours. We weren't scheduled to go back until later in the evening. Thankfully we went to the ferry terminal and were given an earlier trip home. Maybe Montevideo would have been a better choice. Hope this helps.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

tengohambre & minx: Montevideo sounds like it would be a lot more interesting than Colonia. My DH didn't think that Colonia sounded like somewhere he wanted to go the last time we were in BA.

Teatro Colon is on our list. It was closed when we were in BA, last time.

I will check out Palacio Barolo. I have read great reviews on it in the past.

If, I have to choose between Salta, Mendoza or Bariloche. Salta is my first choice. But, I have to run them all by my DH. After all, this is a marriage not a dictatorship! LOL!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

Condu....I like that: this is a marriage, NOT a dictatorship! If DH really wants to go to Bariloche, you will have an incredible time as well.
Just don't stay in Bariloche city.....stay out on the Llao Llao peninsula. Renting a car is really convenient. We even kayaked on Lake Guitterez one afternoon and definitely enjoyed hiking. With the car, you can stay in Villa Angostura 2 nights and San Martin de los Andes 2 nights.
Anyway, Great memories: we were there in December 2008.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:04 AM

Welcome to the Fodor´s Argentina forum, Ronnie (moreweird)!

Let's have your valuable input here as often as possible!

For whoever doesn´t also read TA, Ronnie (moreweird) and her DH have stayed in Argentina for several weeks during our last few summers and have often ventured beyond BA, to our South and to our NW, for instance.

In the Apr 15, 11 at 3:43pm post in my http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...m#last-comment thread you can read her recent report on their trip to our wonderful NW.

If this forum had "destination experts", she would be a great candidate for this distinction right away, as her posts will most certainly help you have a great time in our country.
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

morewierd: My DH hasn't expressed any preference of where he would like to go, so far. I know that he enjoys birding & hiking. I should start a post on where we should go in Argentina for good birding.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking about taking as bus to SAN ANTONIO DE ARECO. We will probably visit an estancia in the area. How many days/nights would do the area justice?
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Condu.....Like Marnie, we stayed at Paradores Draghi. We were there for 2 nights/2+ days.
The Draghi's had bicycles on the property and we used them for wonderful bike rides.
If you're NOT pressed for time, you CAN stay at Areco 3 nights.
Friendly people,good food,serenity and chirping birds.
Don't miss the chocolate factory: La Olla de Cobre! We ate at Almacen Ramos and La Costa Reyes,but La Esquina de Merti and El Ancla are on my list for the next time.The Las Lilas Museo with the works of F. Molino Campos is worth every moment of your time.
Took the Chevallier bus from Retiro there & back.
A delicious respite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -