Avianca Airlines? Take the chance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2016, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the reviews I've read about Avianca airlines have been miserable. However, for a quick trip before DH starts his new job, we find the price almost a siren song. IAD > CTG We're well traveled, and only take one backpack each, so no luggage loss problems. We also have some flexibility as to having to stick around an extra day if the airline somehow screws things up. Any guidance on this? Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We just flew Avianca from IAD to Bogota and it was perfectly ok. After a stay in Bogota we were flying to Armenia and there was a problem due to lack of clarity on where to actually board the plane. To read the specifics check out our ongoing TR by clicking on my name. We leave tomorrow for Cartagena on Avianca and then several other flights over the next month or so. Hopefully they will all be ok. I think you will be fine on Avianca and they do have some nicely priced fares.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 11:54 PM

I have just started looking at Colombia flights and have found that the budget airline Viva Colombia have some very competitive fares and are part owned by the Irish operator Ryannair. I have always found that budget airlines tend towards more efficient service than some normal operators. Hopefully this will hold true in Colombia as their BOG-LIMA fare is a third of LAN's. May be worth a look as an alternative to Avianca.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

@Yestravel I have read your trip report and am looking forward to more!
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 05:57 AM

Good to know they fly to Lima!

Bogota airport is huge, and confusing. But not a bad place to kill time, esp. with a gelato from Crepes and Waffles.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 05:57 AM

Crellston-I know the budget airlines offer great fares within Colombia. I had a huge credit with Avianca from a cancelled trip last year, so I booked domestically with them. They also offer great fares from the US to Colombia.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:04 AM

Mlgb- not sure how confusing the Bogota airport is as we had no trouble finding our way around. For the missed flt we were in the old domestic terminal.
It was the way they boarded multiple flights thru the same portal at the same time without any indication of where to go for a specific flt. And at the time we didn't realize multiple flts were boarding. We transfer a couple times thru Bogota and will be careful.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 09:13 AM

Mutti- an hour late for an hour flight, btw they do offer seat back screens and some good movies and TV shows. I've been watching House of Cards and am into the second season!
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM

Tonight we were chatting with a British couple who were scheduled to fly Avianca from Cartagena to Pereira on Sunday. They were notified today that because their plane was coming from JFK it has been canx until at least Monday.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 11:54 PM

Looks like it is going to be necessary to build in some wiggle room into our planning!
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 09:53 PM

<and are part owned by the Irish operator Ryannair> Not really a recommendation, lol!

We took quite a number of flights on Avianca recently and found them to be a mixed bag.

Our first flight (Bogota -Nieva) was four hours late. We rolled to the end of the runway and were about to depart when everything stopped, apparently we had two flat tyre! Our second flight (Pasto to Bogota) was six hours late due to fog in Pasto - apparently this problem with the weather is quite common there, high altitude, mountains and fog are not a great combo for an airport!

Then we had a number of flights (Bogota-Medellin and Medellin-Cartagena) that were no problem, efficient, well run etc. We wanted to change our final Avianca tript from Cartegena to Bogota to an earlier flight and they suggested we just go standby at the airport. You used to be able to do this sort of thing for free in the US but now of course they charge you for EVERYTHING. Anyway, Avianca rescued itself in our eyes by changing our flight for free which was much appreciated.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 05:38 AM

Here's another Avianca quirk- flying today CTG thru BOG and connecting to a flt to BGA. Flt from CTG was scheduled to leave at 7:40. We boarded at 6:45, doors closed at 7:10 and took off at 7:20, twenty minutes before scheduled departure time. We landed early at NOG International terminal.

After our fiasco at BOG we were super careful with our connecting domestic flight. Signs pointed to the right for domestic connections, but we were directed straight ahead by Avianca staff. We were told to get on the dreaded shuttle and we were taken to another terminal, the domestic terminal. Of course this is all familiar territory to us. We did repeatedly stop and double check that there had been no changes and we were going correctly. We had to go thru security again and here we sit at the ill fated gate 10 from a week ago. But this time we know we need the position of the plane, not just the gate. Hopefully this flight leaves on time as we need to pick up a car and drove ~3 hours to our destination.

Avianca is generous with cancellations or changes. We had to cancel a multi leg trip with them in 2015. Only a $50 change fee and no charge with a doctors note. We had a year to book new flights and use the credit.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 06:23 AM

The buses in Colombia are becoming more attractive by the day!!
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

We're all booked and are throwing the dice with Avianca FLL>CTG. The way back is a little sketchier with two cx, but we have saved ourselves a long drive to the nearest home airport.

Super excited about our days in Cartagena! It will be a nice get away before DH starts his new job in a new city (with a far superior airport!) and I stay behind to sell the house and see my mother through some tough surgery.

Thanks to all and enjoy your trips!
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 04:39 AM

We just took two great Avianca flights in Guatemala: Guatemala City to Flores(Tikal) and return. Super new prop planes. On time each way. Food and drink for under one hour flight.....
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Mutti-I think you'll be fine. Do sign up with Avianca as they regularly send updates with changes. Almost every flight we have taken or will take has been changed, generally 15 or 30 minutes time change. Good luck with the move and your husband's new job.

Crellston-I always enjoy the generally no hassle bus as a way to travel. For any long distance I'd try to ensure you are on a regular sized bus which would be more comfortable. With all the traveling you do, it won't be anything you havent encountered before I'm sure. When do you leave?

Glover-we had a nightmare with a flight from Flores. Got stranded for hours at the airport, no food, water, electricity was turned off for some unknown reason, bathroom overflowing and babies and kids screaming everywhere. Still vividly remember the hours stuck afte a nice day at Tikal. Glad your experience was far more pleasant.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:33 AM

The reminiscences of Flores airport take me back. In 1989 I went to Guatemala backpacking as a student. I took the bus from Guatemala City to Tikal and it was a nightmare, it seemed to be an endless journey, the roads were bad and at regular intervals (if you fell asleep) they stopped to unload everyone at gunpoint for a "security" check. I had experienced this in Zimbabwe so I wasn't too worried but the whole thing was interminable. It was so bad that the entire way I said I was flying back, I didn't care what it cost. I remember it was $40 to fly Flores to Guatemala City and I was never so happy to see a plane in my life, I loved that flight!