ATM/Currency Exchange LIM Lima Peru Airport

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM/Currency Exchange LIM Lima Peru Airport

I will arrive around midnight in LIM Lima Peru. I have read that there are ATMs and money changers in the airport. I would like to hear from travelers if they found the ATMs and money changers available and working at that time of the night.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Sure did they are right there work fine at night

They have to that's when everybody arrives...
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
P_M

LIM is like every major airport in the world, the ATMs and change booths are open at all hours. A great many people come and go through LIM during the night so you will have no problems. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM

I don't know for certain, but I've always thought LIM seems busier during the overnight hours than it does during the day. Everything will be open.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to qwovadis, P_M and Jeff_Costa_Rica for your speedy and reassuring replies. I shall go forth with ATM card at the ready.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM

Actually, we had a different experience. For some reason, the main ATM in Lima and Cusco would not take our brand of ATM Visa card (take a look at the branding on the back of your card -- whatever ours is, it didn't work in their ATMS). We were fine when we got into Lima, but when we were heading back to the states we didn't quite have enough cash for the airport tax...the ATM wouldn't take our card, and the change window was closed for the night. Aaahh! Luckily, a very nice American man heard our plight and lent us the $$ until we got to Atlanta (so we didn't have to venture into Lima in the middle of the night looking for a different brand of ATM), where we promptly took out money from an ATM and gave it back to him. So, make sure you have enough for the airport tax on your way back to the states. Using USD when you first get there won't be a problem if you need to pay a taxi or shuttle.

Happy travels!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM

The main atm machine in Lima airport is GlobalNet. I never had a problem with their widespread ATMs, but it's always a good idea if you have more than one bank to bring an alternate card, you just never know.

http://www.globalnet.com.pe/who.htm

Also another warning to not expect ATMs in small towns to always accept your card, nor even to always have cash to dispense, especially on weekends. So carry some emergency $$ and try not to spend them all on souveniers.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
P_M

If you do bring cash to Peru for exchange, make sure the bills are very new, crisp and have no marks on them. A travel companion of mine had a $20 bill with a 1/4 inch tear on the bottom and nobody would exchange it. Also don't bring $100 bills.