Arrival Fee when entering Argentina.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm told US citizens must pay a fee of $160 when arriving by air from an international destination. 1) I will be going on a cruise the same day I arrive. Must I pay this fee ? 2) I went to Argentina and Chile in 2007 and for Chile I paid a fee and they stapled a paper in my passport that , I believe, was good for 10 years. I now have a new passport. Can I bring my old passport to show them? And, I don't have such a paper for Argentina in my ,passport but I have my entry /exit stamps. I'm not sure if I paid a fee when I entered or not . (perhaps I did not because I flew in from Iguassu on the Argentina side to Buenos Aires and avoided my entry being from an international destination). 3) if one must pay the $160 can it be done upon arrival at the Buenos Aires (EZE) airport ?..........Randy
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:28 AM

The Chilean reciprocity fee is good for the life of the passport, not a flat 10 years. So you would have to pay again.

You didn't pay a reciprocity fee for Argentina because you entered via a land border. However, the rules changed this past 7 January. Now a reciprocity fee for Argentina must be paid online before you board your flight. You print out the receipt (which has a bar code) and present it when you arrive. The Argentine fee is good for 10 years, even in an expired passport.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Adding: you pay the reciprocity fee for Argentina entering by land or air now if coming in from another country. Cruise passengers (arriving by cruise) are exempt for a couple of months still.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 09:58 AM

American Airlines is now checking that you have paid this fee before they allow you to check in for your flight to Argentina. Last month, we were not allowed to do on-line check-in and had to show the receipts before we could check-in at the Baltimore airport. We had to present the receipts again in Dallas before the flight to EZE. If you can't prove that you have paid the fee, you have to use a terminal at the airport to pay it before being allowed to board the flight.

I would assume that other air carriers now have similar policies.

Also Immigration checked that we had paid when leaving the country at EZE.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 06:35 AM

When you pay on-line for the Argentina fee, be sure to print-out immediately, or you may not be able to retrieve the receipt for printing later. Therefore, only pay if you can printout immediately. There have been people saying there are problems getting the receipts printed later, and they have had to pay again to get the receipts to be able to board the flights to Argentina. This warning from another poster on TT.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM

To make it clear, you are cruise passenger, but you are arriving in Argentina by air. You'll have to pay the $160 online before you fly. I've heard of the same problem mentioned above: You can't print the payment info later. Pay only if you are using a computer hooked up at that minute to a printer, and print the receipt out immediately.

You don't say how you're arriving in Chile. Will that be by ship on the same cruise? If so, you won't owe the fee there. It's only if you arrive by air in Santiago. New passport means a new fee.