Argentina reciprocity fee

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argentina reciprocity fee

I've read that Argentina charges American visitors a $140 reciprocity fee. Most of those articles say that it is only charged when you arrive at the Buenos Aires airport. LAN has a flight from San Francisco to Iguazu via Lima, Peru. Is is too much to hope that we won't have to pay the reciprocity fee if we bypass Buenos Aires and fly in and out of other cities?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM

I understand the "reciprocity fee" is only charged when you enter Argentina via the Buenos Aires international airport called EZE in travel agent lingo.

So, it would seem that if you enter via Iguazú you would be able to avoid it.

How do you plan to LEAVE Argentina?

Have a great time in our country.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

We are looking to fly out of Mendoza, which looks like it goes through Miami, not EZE.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Check if that involves connecting flights in Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aires. Unless it is a new route, I believe you will connect to another flight in one of those two cities and not fly direct Lima to Iguazú. If connecting in BA you will be liable for the fee. In Santiago you would have to stay in the transit lounge or pay the fee for entering Chile. That could make it a very long journey, between 8-13 hours.
You could try a LAN flight from another point, even the US, to Santiago and connect to Mendoza without leaving the transit lounge. Those flights are more frequent, so connecting time should be less.
The fee is not collected in either country on departure, so you can leave from wherever you want.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Just came back from BA, Mendoza, Santiago, and Iguazu. You will only pay the fee if you land at EZE and pass through immigration there. I flew in and out of Aeroparque several times and never had to pay the fee, also crossed the border by land from Santiago to Mendoza, and was not asked to pay the fee.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Once you pay the fee ( only at EZE ) , you have a stamp in your passport. It is good for 10 years.
So you can come back over and over .... :- )
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Actually, it looks like we'll be flying out of L.A. to Iguazu via Lima, Peru, and returning from Mendoza to L.A. via Santiago, Chile.