Argentina trip - pls critique itinerary

Old May 6th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argentina trip - pls critique itinerary

Hello all - I am going to Argentina for my honeymoon in late Oct/early Nov. We were planning 5 days in Buenos Aires and 5 days in Mendoza. Do you think I would be doing myself a disservice by only visiting these two locations? We had also discussed doing either a day or 2 at the falls OR visiting the glacier.

Any thoughts/opinions? Just want to make sure I'm getting nice highlights of the country during my time in Argentina.

Thank you!
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:16 AM

I would better include the NW in my itinerary.
Four days are necessary to see as most as possible in the area; the salt Flats, Purmamarca, Tilcara and CAfayate are the MUST see.
If WINES is your reason to go to Mendoza, You can also viosit the NW and try our unique white, torrontés.
HAve you ever heard about it?
Many people have already adopted torrontes as their favorite.
If amazing landscapes is your best concern, just have a look to the thousand of pictures people left in the web at flicker, and remember that nost of those who took the pictures think they do not make justice to the place!
If the NW is your choice , you will never regret.
Flintstones
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Flintstones - I am really most interested in whether I should include the falls or the glaciers. I am leaning more towards the glaciers.

would 2 night be enough time there?
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM

You don't need that many days in Mendoza if you want to take a couple off there. You can see the falls with one or two nights, but the glaciers in Patagonia really need more time to see.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM

I would lessen my time in BA (that's just me) as I feel it is better to spend more time with the natural beauty of AR. That being said, I would stay 1 night BA, fly to Iguazu the next AM for 2 nights, then El Calafate for 3 nights and back to BA for the last 4 nights (or reverse the order and spend the first few days in BA).

Mendoza is very nice with the Andes and all, but unless you're really into wine tasting, I didn't think the area was as spectacular as the falls and the glaciers. Just my opinion.

You could save the NW and Mendoza for your next trip
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Hmm, tough decision. Maybe knock a day off in BA and 2 days off in Mendoza and add in the glaciers. Worth a visit if you're here. How often do you get to see glaciers?
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Well, in that case How often do you see colourful mountains or salt flats?
You need a second visit, for sure... and probably be surprised with the NW!
When I insist on the NW is because most of our visitors where 100% satisfied with the wonderful sceneries of the area!
Anyway... I expect you have a second chance to come to Argentina and you finally choose SALTA and the NW!
FLintstones
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM

owlwoman's idea would work. I tend to agree about Mendoza, lovely as it is, it is mainly about visiting vineyards (or climbing Mt. Aconcagua, but not on your honeymoon surely!).
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Several attractive destinations have been established for those visiting Argentina. It is a question of what you like best. Do you like cities, going out to restaurants, tango shows, etc?
Then Buenos Aires is for you . Do you prefer nature, like Calafate and Iguazu? etc etc I believe there is a lot of information in this forum and elsewhere and it is only up to you to make a selection.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM

I like BA and always suggest more time there than others might, but i gotta say that the most can't miss thing in argentina is the Iguazu falls. there really isn't anything else like it in the world. Also, the glaciers of el calafate and ushuaia are pretty amazing, so if you like nature try to head there.

Cheers!
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM

I would recommend the glaciers, El Calafate in particular. You could take a day off of Buenos Aires and a day or two off of Mendoza. You will need 2 to 3 nights in El Calafate, depending on your flight schedule, in order to get 2 full days of glacier trekking and sightseeing. Let us know if we can help with anything else.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I'm sure I'll be shot for this but personally I felt the NW was totally boring. Sure, the scenery is pretty, but other areas, like BA, Mendoza, even Iguazu had more to offer in terms of things to do, places to eat, etc. Driving 5 hours a day on average was not my idea of fun. I'm still dying to go to Bariloche, which I'm sure would be lovely at that time of the year.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:01 AM

You have just been shot!

Just kidding, but I obviously disagree. LOL!!!
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM

We can agree to disagree.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM

I absolutely loved the northwest and it was the highlight of our 2 months in Aregentina. Iguazu was spectacular and is definitel worth a couple of days to visit the falls (I preferred the Brazilian side.

Peninsualr Valdez was a fanatstic experience. Seeing the whales so close is something I will remember forever.

Personally, I was a bit underwhelmed by Mendoza. Unless food and wine are high up your list of priorities, I would give it a miss. Bariloche was nice enough but we visited at the wrong time (spring break and loads of drunken students!!)

My one regret is that we didn't visit the glaciers - maybe next time
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Skiergirl obviously prefers the snow. But just a fact of preferences, but to say it is boring...?
Frotunatelly in Argentina we also have snow, desert, pampas, whatever you want.
Anyway, maybe you did it wrong. We have a lot of fun maybe you could not find... bungy jumping, (it is not my idea of fun...), rafting, boating, skidiving, hikking, peñas show. We have alot more to offer, really...
Flintstones
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Syl

We went in Oct.2007 & thought the NW was gorgeous. If you love Sedona, Arizona, & Utah, Purmamarca & its surroundings are comparable,but with painters' pallette mountain scenery at every turn in the NW. The winding drive up to high altitude with the condors to the most unusual Salt Flats was spectacular, unlike anything I've ever seen in my travels around the world.Each small town has its charming main square, the aboriginals & the wonderful food. Don't miss the museum in Salta's main square that has a recently discovered 500 yr old mummy on display.This teenage mother & her 2 babies were sacrificed to the gods alive,placed in an induced sleep by coca leaves & buried on top of the Andes.Fascinating! The only route I wouldn't recommend is Rte 40 that takes you on a dusty, bumpy ride to Cachi.Instead go to Cafayate, the wine town with the soaring Andes in the background. Five days in the NW is needed.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone - we have decided on sticking with the 5 nights in Buenos Aires and 5 nights in Mendoza. We love wine and food and feel like since this is our honeymoon, we would prefer not to be packing and unpacking as frequently as we might be willing to do on other trips.

For BA our MUST DO list includes:
*Dinner at La Cabrera
*Lunch at Café Tortoni
*Private bike tour
*Tango lesson and/or show
*Shopping in Palermo Soho (any fav specific stores??)

For Mendoza, our MUST DO list includes:
*dinner at Azafran
*winery tours -- thinking about Ruca Malen, Achaval-Ferrer, Finca Adalgisa
*cooking lessons at Cavas. (any other suggestions as that is far from our hotel)

Please let me know your thoughts on my above selections -- does anything stand out as a really poor choice?

I have looked up tons of stuff and have received some personal recommendations.

As always, thank you in advance for all of your opinions. PLease keep in mind we will be in each of these places in November. If anyone can comment on the weather or the way people dress for lunch/dinner in each place that would be very helpful and appreciated!
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM

I would have a coffee and pastry at Cafe Tortoni and save lunch for one of the many really good restaurants in town .. or ... go to Cafe Tortoni one night to watch their Tango show.

Palermo Soho has new shops opening every day, things are constantly changing .. just take a map and start walking.. stopping for refreshment along the way .. which is so easy, cafes every few steps !

I would spend a day in Recoleta, see Recoleta Cemetery, walk around the neighborhoods, Alvear and the parks, one day doing maybe the open bus tour and seeing Casa Rosada and .. is the bike tour in Palermo or Recoleta? I see them all the time, here in Recoleta .. flying along Libertador on their orange bikes ! :- )

November is just beautiful here.. Spring time .. cool nights, sunny days and blue blue skies .. Bring layers, cottons and comfortable walking shoes, maybe something with heels for nighttime .. dress is more European here, lunches are casual although business people eat out and ladies so you see the whole range of styles.. like NY or Paris .. don't know where you live .. use Weather Underground to check the weather here when it gets closer to time to arrive ..
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Syl, I agree with yuo, route 40 is too not as nice as the one to Cafayate.
NW is one of those places you will never forget.
Thank you for your review.
Flintstones---

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -