3 Week Itinerary and Budget Help

Jan 7th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

3 Week Itinerary and Budget Help

Hey guys. I know you must get this all the time but I'm making a trip itinerary thread. I'm usually in the Europe boards but i just started thinking about a South America trip.
I'm looking to do three weeks maybe 25 days tops seeing a nice variety of places without being rushed. A sample layout of what I've started to think about is as follows:
Peru 1 week
Chile 1 week
Argentina 1 week - 10 days

For Peru I must see Machu Pichu and hopefully Cusco. Would like to do Atacama in Chile but definites are Santiago and Valparaiso for a day. Argentina would consist of Buenos Aires and Patagonia.
I am a 24 year old outdoorsy type who loves history, food, art, architecture, meeting people and nightlife. I want to have a mix of outdoor activities and indoor stuff (museums etc). Will be traveling solo and at a relative low budget. I'd rather spend more time away frugally than coming back soon. I have a decent command of the Spanish language (ie I got by in Valencia easily without English). I am looking for recommendations and a ballpark estimate for budgeting since I am inexperienced at budgeting for South America.
Thanks and sorry if this post is like a million other similar ones.
Jan 7th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Oh I forgot to mention I'm a sommelier so Id like to hit at least one wine region for a couple of days. Thanks
Jan 8th, 2015, 12:49 AM

When are you planning on going? This could radically IME
Hence teh advice you seek.
Jan 8th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Mid Feb to Mid March is the projected time. What do you think about this time for weather/tourism business/etc
Jan 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM

For Patagonia that will be good for hiking. It's rainy in the Cusco/Machu Picchu area, but you can still go to Machu Picchu by train when the Inca Trail is closed during February.

If you are on a bit of a budget, look carefully at your travel costs, trying to do so much over three weeks you may need to fly rather than take long distance buses between countries. That can be expensive.

Look at Bolivian Salar vs the Atacama desert, and Chilean vs Argentina side of Patagonia.

As you start to get into it you may want to consider a second trip, perhaps Peru as a trip of its own.
Jan 8th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the insight. What about doing 4 weeks total? Would that be enough of a time to get a brief yet satisfying look into all three countries? I might be able to swing another 4-6 days. I need to start seeing what a budget may come around since that may or may not afford me that extra time

Search this Thread