North Chile Or Bolivia Or Peru - JULY

Old May 7th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Chile Or Bolivia Or Peru - JULY

Hi everybody!

My husband and I are trying to plan our honeymoon and we're having such a hard time to decide where to go.
We really love to hike and discover new places, deserts, nature, landscape.

That's why we are considering South America.
We have 3 weeks in July and would like to have a part of the trip devoted to hike and discover (let's say 2 weeks) and the last week to relax and if possible enjoy warm weather/beach.

SO the idea is to choose between one of those countries: CHILE (north)- BOLIVIA - PERU , and then make an itinerary with hikes and visits. I know it will be winter time out there, but I read on many blogs that's still a good season to go (especially in Bolivia) because the weather is dry (and cold of course). Any advice on the best country at this time of the year?

Another major concern I have is the mountain/altitude sickness. How was it for those who went in any of the 3 countries?

Finally, for the last week we would ideally go visit Galapagos. Any insights? to do? don't?

I really need your help to finally make a decision having the most informations so, in advance, THANKS A LOT!!!
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:08 AM

"We really love to hike and discover new places, deserts, nature, landscape." All three countries have that in abundance! What they lack are decent beaches so I would probably forget about beaches, especially at that time of year when the Humboldt Current causes much of the Pacific coast to be swathed in mist for half the year.

If I had to chose one country then I would probably go for either Peru or Bolivia and, with three weeks and no beach, you could possibly combine the two. Peru has amore developed infrastructure, better hotels etc, but Bolivia is arguably more unspoilt by mass tourism (not that it is a big issue in Peru either) . Harder to get around in Bolivia but it’s worth it.

We have blogged a lot about our time in those two countries @ https://accidentalnomads.com for some reason I have not got around to Chile yet!

Many people will focus upon southern Peru around Cusco and the Sacred Valley, Arequipa etc. and all of those are great but some of the best hiking is to be had in the Cordillera Blanca around Huaraz. From there it is an easy trip to Trujillo where there are some passable beaches, although the better ones are even further north around Mancora.

Altitude affects people in different ways, but as long as you follow the guidelines for acclimatisation, then you should be fine. I certainly wouldn’t let that aspect dictate your trip.

Can’t really comment on teh Galapagos because although we have spent a lot of time in Ecuador, couldn’t rally bearing ourselves to pay the extortionate prices required when there is so much else to see.

Not wishing to muddy the waters, but if it were my honeymoon and, given the same interests, I would take a look at Colombia. It has all that you are seeking in bucketloads! In fact just posting this is making me review our travel plans...
Old May 11th, 2018, 06:30 PM

Another vote for Colombia!
Old May 12th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Bolivia and Peru!

Hey, have to say you are really considering the right places! My wife and I just went on a honeymoon this march, and after looking reading about Argentina, Chile, Peru and Bolivia, we ended up choosing Bolivia and Peru, and had an amazing time! Both still maintain the pre-colonial cultural, and had a lot to offer. We exactly did something really similar to the plan here
https://ollami.com/tour/3438/peru-ma...olivia-15-days
but with some changes the local guy helped us pick. If you want to end the trip at the beach, consider going the other way around and maybe stay somewhere nice on the coast of Peru....