2 week trip to argentina - need help finalizing itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling with my husband and another couple the beginning of March 2012 to Argentina, arriving in Buenos Aires. We plan to be there for 3 days, then go to Montevideo for 2 days and on to Punta del Este for an overnight. Returning to Montevideo we can either fly to Iguazu for 2 days and then fly south to El Calafante to do the glaciers for 4 days or fly to El Calafante first and then to Iguazu. In either case, we need to return to BA and the end of the trip for our return to the USA. My question is which scenario is better? We've selected the hotels where we'd like to stay, but wonder if we should book ourselves or use a local agency there. My husband and I are bilingual so language is no problem. Thank you for your expertise and advice.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think u can book your hotels on your own...really no need to use a TA. In terms of the order, i would go with the one that has the best airline times and connections. can u fly directly to IF? Or Calafate?
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:15 AM

I agree with yes travel that it is easy to book hotels on your own (especially if you speak Spanish). My concern woul be the numerous flights involved and the notorious inefficiency of aerolineas argentinas plus, you will will almost certainly have to transit through BA on the Iguazu/El Calafate route.
There are buses direct from Montevideo to Iguazu via Colonia and crossing the border at Salto/Concordia. from memory it took us the best part of a day in the opposite direct but when you factor in delays. airport check in times, transfers, overnight travel there is probably not a lot in it (plus, 1st class travel on teh buses is superb.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 02:15 AM

www.spg.com Sheraton Falls View room at Iguazu

lots warmer more spectacular deals for SPG members

Amex card holders for me free perks upgrades even rooms

when there last...

So I would head there...
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM

In March I would go to El Calafate first then end up in Iguazu. The later you go South, the colder it will be. Sounds like a great trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If the air connections are equal, I think I agree with owlwoman, not so much for the el calafate portion, but for the IF part. Later in March may make it a touch cooler. We were in IF in December and it was steaming. We were in el calafate in mid March and the glaciers were actually comfortable (properly attired, of course).