2 week Chile Itinerary in December

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 week Chile Itinerary in December

I am planning a 2 week trip to Chile for the last 2 weeks in December. Planning on flying into Santiago and being there for a day or two, and wanted to rent a car and drive to the wineries for a few days, but other than that, have no other plans. Definitely don't plan on venturing south to Patagonia region, as I was just down there recently. We are both adventurous, but also wanted to spend a few days on the beach at a resort.

Any suggestions for hotels in the lake regions, and any beach resort recommendations, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Drive north to Valparaiso and Zapallar..Go(fly,drive) south to Puerto Varas on the lake.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM

A car is definitely worth having if you are going to the Colchagua valley as the vineyards are spread over a very large area. You can get a map and suggestions (and bookings) from the Ruta del Vino office in Santa Cruz. It is worth spending 2-3 days there if you have the time.

You could drive south to the lakes but you are on a modern toll highway and don't really see much until after Chillan. It would also be cheaper to return the car to Santiago and take a very comfortable overnight bus or fly to a point in the lakes. You can then rent a car in the area for mobility.

As for hotels, there is everything from hostels to luxury. What sort of hotel are you comfortable with? How many amenities do you want? Would you prefer a cabin and a chance to self-cater a bit? Prices do go up in December and the exchange isn't very favourable to the dollar at the moment. Some places will give you an exemption from the 19% sales tax if you are a foreign visitor. It is more common in larger or more expensive lodging as not everywhere wants to do the paperwork involved.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM

We are going to San Alfonso del Mar, which is a resort with the largest swimming pool (salt water) in the world, and it's right on the beach in Algorrobo. The town itself isn't very resort-y, but it has some nice local food, and some nice beaches. It's where we go to the beach from Santiago (where we live). Zapallar is also very nice, though we haven't stayed there, we have friends who go there frequently and love it.

I would recommend going to the Pablo Neruda (poet laurate of Chile) houses in Valparaiso, Santiago, and Isla Negra. They are very interesting culturally, and all are in interesting, but very different, areas. The one in Isla Negra is on/near a nice stretch of beach, the one in Santiago is in the shady, bohemian area of Santiago (Bellavista) and the one in Valparaiso is on one of the quieter hills (though the asensor that takes you up the hill no longer works, but it is a doable walk-our 2.5 year old did it).

Enjoy the southern summer!
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great and quick responses. As for the style of resort, we definitely don't need incredible luxury, but definitely wanted to stay at places that were nice, with private bathrooms and good amenities (beach towels provided, nice bar, etc.).

We are planning on flying in on a Tuesday and leaving the following Saturday, so we'll have about 11 days in Chile. We were planning on doing 2 days and 1 nights in Santiago, 2-3 days wineries, 2-3 days in lake region, 2-3 days at beach. Does this itinerary make sense? Are there things we'd be missing out on (given we're not going down to Patagonia region)?

Thanks again for all of the great responses - much appreciated?
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM

There aren't really beach resorts as such in Chile. There are a couple of places in the south but their price would take your breath away. The sea is always cold off the coast unless you are very far north. I wonder if you would like the Isla Seca hotel in Zapallar. It is the only hotel there, in a lovely setting with great views. There is an extensive walkway along the coast in Zapallar which is lovely in the early morning and at sunset.
http://www.hotelislaseca.com/
The hotel does good food or you could walk down to the beach and lunch at the Chiringuito. You probably have to book it in December. The hotel would know.
Sorry about this video. It is a marketing thing for a promotion for subscribers to a local newspaper but it does give you an idea of the hotel and amenities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLhhz99b9XE
Another option is the small Hotel Medio Mundo in Algarrobo. Algarrobo is on the coast and there is a turn to it off route 68 which runs between Valparaíso/Viña del Mar and Santiago.It takes about 20=30 minutes from the turnoff. It is a more middle class resort. The Medio Mundo is right on the beach on the main road going through Algarrobo, so it is not as isolated as Isla Seca. Its restaurant draws people from Santiago for lunch on the weekends, it is that good.
http://www.mediomundo.cl/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQaYChOvkY
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Amy

Just to throw another thought out there, have you been to the Atacama? I found it to be both relaxing and adventurous, (strange combination, I know!) and had a great stay at Atacamadventure Wellness and Ecolodge. Here's my trip report; San Pedro de Atacama was my last stop: http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...rip-report.cfm
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM

I love Pichilemu (not sure about spelling) for a beach town. Lots going on and prices are really affordable. You can rent cabins for a very reasonable price. Lots of great restaurants.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Chile is an amazing country. You can find some amazing hotel and tour options (in particular the wine tour review) at http://www.luxurylatinamerica.com/chile.html

Cheers and safe travels!
Lazarin