Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dar: Airport to Ferry: How long? And Ferry Schedule?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! We're planning to fly in into Dar at 1pm on Saturday, January 7. I've been told the last Ferry to Zanzibar departs at 4pm. Anyone know if this is correct?

How long should it take by taxi from the airport to the ferry terminal? Will we have enough time arriving on a 1pm flight to catch the 4pm ferry?

How long does the ferry take from Dar to Stone Town and vice versa?

And finally, we'll be departing Wednesday, January 11 from Stone Town back to Dar. Anyone know the ferry schedule? We'll have a 6:15pm flight out of Dar, so what time should we catch the ferry?

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM

You sure you want to take the ferry? Last night, a ferry out of Dar to Pemba was overloaded, capsized, and killed many passengers. This has happened before, so I'd question the safety of using the ferries. It's a quick 20-minute flight between ZNZ and DAR.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

yikes! any idea on flight costs? and what carrier/how to book?
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Coastal Air and Precision Air both fly from DAR to Zanzibar. Checking their websites, it seems to be around $70-90 one way.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM

While the ferry accident mentioned above is sad, unfortunate and similar incidents happen worldwide, this wasn't one of the ferries that travel between DAR/Stone Town. Doesn't mean these are much safer, so I'd always go for the flight.

By the time you ferry (2+/hrs), taxi between ferry dock and airport... you can fly direct into the DAR airport from Stone Town/ZNZ.

Precision and Coastal with varying prices depending on day of week, time, etc., but can be about $100 and worth it.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much! looking at their websites, coastal is 308 total, and precision is 278 total (for 2 persons). maybe b/c we're flying on a saturday? i'll have to discuss w/my husband. the ferry would be about 160 total.

so, the ferry takes 2 hrs? IF we do decide to brave it, does anyone know if the last one is at 4, and how much time it should take to get to the ferry from the airport? should we be ok to catch a 4pm ferry, if we're arriving on a 1pm flight? thanks guys!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Not to put my hand into your pocket, but for about $60-75/person additional flying vs ferry... go for the flight!

Ferry is on open water and if choppy, it's not unusual for many to be tossing their cookies overboard... not my idea of a good means of travel.

Personally, I'd never budget so tight just in case something necessitates additional funds along the way.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM

I remember an episode of "Amazing Race" where the contestants were riding the ferry to Zanzibar. As Sandi says, they were all seasick. Yes, this wasn't the Stone Town ferry that capsized, but if authorities allow overloading, it could happen on any of them.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Sharon -

I too always think about that episode, but they weren't on the ferry. They had to cross on a dhow (not in my life would I ever... but for an emergency and the "last boat out") and believe me I just knew there'd be cookie-chucking and there was. Believe it was the two sisters, the little person up-chucking out there on the open Indian Ocean?

No folks, it's not funny, but some things stay with you and you have to laugh!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

lol! ok, i think you all have managed to convince me. now, the flights to zanz DO go out of the same airport that we'd be flying into in dar, right? there's just the one airport?

i assume it's easy enough to grab a taxi at the zanz airport into stone town? how much time should it take to get there, and what should the approximate cost be? thanks again!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM

From DAR to ZNZ, they each only have 1/airport. It's only a 10/min flight... up, fly a few minutes and then down.

Stone Town is barely 10/min from the ZNZ airport. Haven't any idea cost of taxi, but negotiate with a local as you depart airport. Shouldn't be but a few Shillings (maybe equal to USD$5, or less). Current exchange rate USD/TSH is $1/1450-1600... varies.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM

There's just the one airport, but there are two terminals. Someone onsite should be able to direct you to the proper location for your flight.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

great! thanks so much! seems easy enough. you've definitely convinced us on the flights.