Another great CR trip!! report to follow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi This is our third trip to CR and this time we went to Montezuma and brought two CR virgin couples with us.
We flew into SJO on American airlines no problems and went out to the the taxi stand on the left when you leave the airport and got a taxi to adventure inn

I chose adventure in for our first night in CR they reimburse the taxi ride from the airport and the rooms were clean and comfortable. they provide computers for internet use and a pool hot tub and a free full breakfast I would definitley use them again.
We ate dinner there the food was great

We flew nature air to tambor airport shop early and try and snag a loco fare much cheaper but not offered often.

In tambor to got a driver to Montezuma shop around I found a wide range of taxi fares for our group of 6

We stopped in cobano to get groceries prices are cheaper there than in Montezumas so make the stop if you can.

We got to Montezuma and rent montezuma's beach house villa. I found the villa to be very nice close to town and a great beach location with a pool. The house has 3 bedrooms/baths and was perfect for the 3 couples.

I found montezuma to be fun hippy town with many places to eat and lots to do.
I think the hippies got a little older after the a week but it was still fun.

Montezuma's beaches are rocky so I would bring some type of water shoes when you explore.

more to come......
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

We ate the first night at l' angelo allegro spelling?? very good pasta and nice enviroment.

We did the horseback ride with el pinto expedition horseback. Marvin is the guide and does a wonderful job. The ride takes you to cocolitto waterfall provides water and pinapple and a ride back along the beach and trails. Warning the falls is a steep climb I was not expecting. There is an open area you can run the horses. Dorothy from El pinto did an wonderful job setting up the tours and other tours for me she was a wealth of information.

We ate breakfast at the bakery very nice try the banana bread yum. We hiked to playa grande which is an 20 to 30 minute north hike along a trail and beach. The beach is beautiful large sandy area. Take drinks or pack a lunch there are no facilities there.

The next day we hiked to montezuma waterfalls south of town very nice hike and many areas to get into the water. We ate at the bar on the corner of the beach by chicos great mojitos and ceviche.

We then did tortuga island tour through zuma tours. I was unsure about booking this tour but ended up loving it. We saw humpback whales along the way to the island. The snorkeling was so-so,but knew that going into it. The island was a laid back lazy island beautiful. There was a lunch served by zuma very good. There is a small gift shop and no bars or restaurants. They charge $7 a person for a chair and umbrella, the trail on the island is $5 to go on and there is also horseback. We did not do any of the extra activities.

We also rented ATV's from Zuma we took them down to cubuya. We walked to cemetary island. This can only be reached during low tide nice little side trip. We then drove the ATV to Mal Pais and Santa teresa beautiful beach many restaurants and shops. We continued on to manzanillo we turned around and drove back to playa el carmen and ate at a great pizza and pasta place right on the beach.

The next day we rented a taxi in town and paid $20 a person to drive to curu wildlife refuge. We chose this over cabo blanco because it had many trails and facilities. You can order lunch if you order ahead of time. The are restrooms and a snack shop. There is a beach but I was not too impressed. We saw howlers and white faced monkeys and other birds and animals. The trails we pretty and we enjoyed the day.

We ate at the famous playa del los artistas. It is a very nice setting on the beach with candle lights. The food was very good. While I enjoyed it, I think it was a little pricey for what it was.

Montezuma has a nice market on saturday mornings and it was nice to buy the local fruits and vegtables and see the people out and about stop by if you are there on Saturday.

Sano Banano has a movie every evening you can watch if you eat there. We never did make it there but it looked like fun.

Ylang ylang was just down the beach from the house we rented. We seriously considered staying there. It looked lovely and had a nice pool. The food was the best dinner we had during our stay. I still am glad we chose the beach house instead for the price.

more later....
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

The last day we flew nature air back to san jose. We had Wilson Rojas contact [email protected] wilson was wonderful I highly recommend him, he pick us up at the airport. He drove us to see poas volcano and we got to see it. The area and drive to the volcano is beautiful. I debated about going to the volcano since we could not get there until around 10 so glad we did very nice. We then ate lunch at chubuscus spelling?? A great little place to eat. We then headed to Doka coffee tour. I liked the tour ,but I think the $20 entrance fee was steep. We then left for the airport.

Do not forget about the $26 dollar departure tax. You can pay this at the airport in Pavas to save time.

I love Costa Rica and once again had a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Thanks for posting, c - sounds like a great trip!
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks I want to thank you volacono girl for all your advice. I've used it on several of my trips and am thinking about belize and like your advice there too.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Glad I could help. I always get a lot of good advice here too!
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM

<i>Do not forget about the $26 dollar departure tax.</i>

Good to know! Cash, I assume?