Search

lodging in Osa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lodging in Osa

I am planning a trip to CR in Aug. and will spend 4 days on the Osa. I need help in sorting what is good reasonable lodging. I am thinking that for room and meals up to $900 (for my maximum) for three nights would be doable. I am a single and I have found in my research that some lodges don't accept singles. I will not have a car,like clean with decent meals but do not need luxurious. The names I have come up with as possiblities are Casa Corcovado; Punta Marenco; Los Caletas Lodge; Aquila De Osa; Corcovado Jungle Eco lodge; Bahia Paraiso rainforest Lodge; Delfin Amor Eco Lodge; and Cara Blanca. I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much. Barbara
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM

We spent 3 nights at Casa Corcovado a few years ago and really loved it. Don't know about their prices now but usually it's a whole package - air from San Jose to Palmar Sur, to boat trip down Sierpe River to beach landing near the lodge (an adventure in itself). The lodge is set back a dirt road from the beach. Beautifully landscaped. Nice cabanas, though not fancy. Certainly comfortable, loved their showers. Nestled in the rainforest. First thing I saw when I stepped out the door was a blue morpho butterfly.
Staff was very nice. Food average. Nice outdoor bar area and screened in restaurant. Property has a path right into Corcovado Park. Beach was pretty and isolated, though current was rough when we were there. Nice shaded area with chairs. We did the usual activities associated with these stays:
a snorkel trip to Canos Island and a hike into the park with guide. Saw dolphins on the way to the island, lots of lizards on the island. Nice swimming beach at the island. Snorkeling was nice - just don't expect the clarity of Caribbean say . . .Saw lots on the hike and on the Casa property: anteater, howler and spider monkeys, crocodile, coatis, scarlet macaws, bats sleeping in a tree during day, boa constrictor, hummingbird nest, etc etc. Highly recommend!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. I have lengthened my stay in Osa to at least five days now as it seems like everyone has raved about it.
Babette
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I've been ruined by going to the Osa....but in a good way
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:53 PM

Last year, I went to Casa Corcovado as a single. I found the prices to be reasonable. There is a small single supplement, around $100 I think. When you book, you choose a package based on the number of days you want to stay. The package includes tours for most or all of the days you will be there. For these tours, you go with a group along with a guide. Dinner is at a set time, and you sit at large tables with the other guests. Lunch is picnic style on your tours. Breakfast is during set hours during the morning. I didn't feel out of place going there as a single.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. Brian I really appreciate how you fared as a single. In an area that is rural I wondered how that would be. This is my first solo expedition and while excited, I am also a little anxious. This board has been tremendous help!
Barbara
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:58 AM

Barbara, I travel alone quite a bit after my husband leaves every year and have not had any problems.

Brian, I am glad to know that they take singles at CC. I wanted to go there but their web site didn't sound like they even accepted singles. I just looked at their new site and it does say sgl. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

When I researched Casa Corcovado I was surprised to learn that for their Ultimate Jungle Safari package (7 days/6 nights), the cost for a single was only $100 more than the per-person cost for double. Many places like to gouge the single traveler.

I just returned from Bosque del Cabo, again as a single. Going there alone was not a problem, but I think I felt a little more comfortable at CC, mainly because of the organized tours which are part of your package. I still wouldn't hesitate to return to Bosque as a single.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Barbaract, I spent wonderful 8 days with my 13 year old son at Marenco Ecolodge http://www.marencolodge.com/ in November 2004 and recommend that place to any ecotourist visiting Osa Peninsula. I spent a day snorkeling close to Bahía Paraíso http://www.bahiaparaiso.com/ close to Corcovado National Forest and it was a very nice spot, too, though more expensive than Marenco.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the help. This board has been tremendous!!
Barbara
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Hi We stayed at La Paloma lodge in Drake Bay. It was absolutely incredible. We went hiking in the rain forest 2 days with fantastic guides and snorkling at Cano Island 1 day. Can't wait to go back.