Search

Kauai Trip Report - May 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM
jcb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Trip Report - May 2010

This was my forth trip to Kauai since 2002. It consisted of me (age 40), DH (42), DS (5) and DD (3). May is my favorite month to visit – crowds are down and the weather is generally good.

For months, I watched frequent flier miles to Kauai but never actually booked. Finally, I pulled the trigger and booked two FF tickets and purchased two tickets departing 25 days out. I had a 10% coupon for the flights which helped a little.

After doing a little research on rental cars, I decided to try Priceline. I bid $10 a day for a full size car and won on the first try with Alamo. Total price with tax was $122!!! When my husband picked up the car, Alamo told him he could pick any full size car on the lot. He chose a Chevy HHR – not the car I would have chosen, but it actually worked out well for our family.

I knew there were plenty of lodging options for us, so I didn’t worry too much about finding a condo. I called Kauai Vacation Rentals to find a place to stay. (http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/)
I decided on Puu Poa 202 in Princeville for the view even though it didn’t have air conditioning. I have always had and used the a/c on previous trips, so I was a little concerned but booked it anyway since it was early May. The unit was lovely and extremely clean. It was two bedrooms/two baths/two lanais (almost 2000 sq feet (including outside space I assume)) with a lovely view of the ocean and nicely decorated with beautiful island art. It was adequately stocked with kitchen and beach items. There were a few afternoons when the trade winds were down that the living room became warm (not unbearably warm). Luckily there were plenty of curtains to keep the sun out. The lanais were completely in the sun for just a few hours a day. Would I stay in this unit again – YES. Would I stay in this unit in July or August – probably not.

Day 1 – Uneventful flight. Husband picked up the rental car while the kids and I gathered the luggage. Headed over to Walmart to pick up some basic food and drink items. Drove on to the condo and crawled into bed about 3:30 a.m. CST.

Day 2 – Woke up at 4:30 a.m. Hawaiian time. I LOVE getting up early in Kauai since I never do it at home. Fixed me a cup of coffee and sat out on the lanai in the dark listening to the ocean. It was a tad cloudy, but I could still see some stars. It was PERFECT. Several Nenes flew to the lawn to eat. (We had about 6 nenes on the lawn every morning) Waited for other others to rise, fixed some breakfast and then off to the beach around 8:00. We enjoy Hanalei Bay with the wide sand and beautiful backdrop (not to mention life guards and facilities). This day we parked by the volleyball courts. We walked the beach, dug in the sand, played frisbee and got our feet wet for about 3 hours. Afterwards, we had lunch at Federico’s in the Princeville Shopping Center. I was pleasantly surprised – it was delicious!!! Since my son doesn’t eat Mexican food, we picked him up a few slices of cheese pizza at North Shore Grinz at the Texaco – it was tasty as well. Did a little food shopping at Foodland and headed home for a rest, shower and to get out of the sun for a while. After watching Lilo and Stitch for the first of many times, we swam in the small pool at the condo. Then had a little dinner on the lanai. We walked over to the St. Regis lawn to watch the evening sunset – BEAUTIFUL!! We then returned home and sat on the lanai to look at the stars. I tried to remember the last time I saw that many stars – it had been way too long.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
jcb
Original Poster

Day 3 – Woke up again at 4:30 and drank coffee on the lanai. We drove down to the Kukuiolono Park Golf Course for my son and husband to play while DD and I followed in a cart. It was crowded in the morning, so we were paired up with another player and his wife – a very nice couple. Although the price has gone up, it is still a cheap 9 holes to play with a lovely view. Course fee is $9, rental clubs $9, cart $9, etc. We had heard about the employee’s surliness, but this was the first time we experienced it in our 4 trips. As another player said, “don’t mess with big mama”. We did not let her gruff attitude bother us as it was part of the experience. This is the only day we encountered some rain and wind. Luckily, I had a sweatshirt for my son and a towel for my DD and I to share – a good time was still had by all. Afterwards we headed over to the Marriot in Lihue to explore and Duke’s Beach Bar to eat. The food was mediocre at best, but it had a nice view. The cruise ship was docked, so there were a ton of people. All the people confirmed my love of the quiet north shore. We headed back up north to swim and rest. Early to bed again.

Day 4 – Up again early and headed out to Tunnels. We parked in the Haena Beach Park (??) and walked east almost to Tunnels. Another glorious morning at the beach with very few people. Then off to Hanalei for lunch at Hanalei Gourmet and shave ice. Rested for a while at the condo, and then walked down to Hideaways Beach. It was a steep path, so we carried out DD down (she walked up). My cautious son was able to slowly walk down and up with no problems. Definitely do not do this path if it is wet!!! We usually go to the beach in the morning, so we normally encounter just a few people at the beach. Since it was late afternoon, there were approx 25 people there. We had a nice time nonetheless. After resting and cleaning up, we drove to Kilauea Bakery for Pizza and Tropical Dreams for desert. Tropical Dreams is the best ice cream in the world!!! We tried to go another time too, but it was closed.

Day 5 – Today was a restful day. We hung out at Hanalei Bay in the same spot for the morning. On the way back to the condo, we stopped at the farmers market in town and bought the most amazing pineapple and flowers. We swam in the afternoon, grilled some steaks on the lanai and watched the beautiful sunset on the bridge just before the complex.

Day 6 – Drove to the end of the road on the north shore. Arrived around 8:45 and snagged one of the last three parking spots in the main parking area. All four of us “hike” about 10 minutes up the Kalalau Trail. Then spent a few hours on Kee Beach and enjoyed the beauty of the area. Since it was vacation, we stopped in Hanalei for our shave ice before lunch. Lunch was Thai food in the Princeville Center at Tamararin . Very good and fresh ingredients. Sunset was enjoyed on the lawn at Puu Poa.

Day 7 – Rented bikes at Coconut Coasters (http://www.coconutcoasters.com/)
to explore the pedestrian/bike path in Kaapa. This was a fantastic day!!! Guy at Coconut Coaster was really nice and got us all set up. I rented a beach cruiser bike, and he attached a toddler trailer to the back for my DD. The kid’s bikes were a little too tall for my DS, so we attached a trailer bike to my husbands. DS could peddle when he wanted or just rest if needed – he enjoyed the ride. We headed north on the path 4 miles to the end. Along the way, we saw a young monk seal sleeping on the rocks, many surfers, an ancient Hawaiian Burial Ground, beautiful Kealia Beach and miles of gorgeous shoreline. There was a bathroom, water fountain and map on the trail in addition to several gazebos to rest in and enjoy the view. We headed back and biked a mile past our starting point which was in town. Our plans were to eat at Scottie’s BBQ, but it was closed for a private event. We ended up eating at the Coconut Cup as it was recommended by Coconut Coasters. I had a ham and avocado sandwich which was EXCELLENT!!!! They serve sandwiches, organic smoothies and shave ice. After our morning exercise, we drove to Moloaa Bay as we had never been before. Unfortunately, the parking spots were all taken. Since it was a neighborhood, I felt kind of strange waiting around for a spot to open up, so we left. Perhaps we can try to visit another time. We did a quick stop at the Kilauea overlook to take a few pictures of the lighthouse. We have been to the lighthouse before and we were tired, so we headed back to the condo to rest. At 5:00 we headed out to Black Pot at Hanalei Bay for some beach time and sunset viewing. The wave action was very gentle, so my son played on his boogie board in the ocean. DD loves to dig in the sand, so she was happy as a clam. Another beautiful end to the day.

Day 8 – Up early and got my coffee to go to walk on the Princeville walking path. I always enjoy doing this, but for some reason I had not done it earlier in the week – too busy on the lanai, I guess. Off to Black Pot again to boogie board. This morning there was a group of fisherman in the water by the pier with a big net (20 foot diameter) full of fish (thin, silver fish). I’m talking 1000s of fish. Person after person would bring ice chest and they would fill them up and take them to their trucks. Most of the ice chest had the same initials on them, so I bet this was a business. I have no idea how they actually caught the fish, but it was interesting none the less. I assume there is a name for this type of fishing, but I don’t have any of my guidebooks handy. Then we had lunch, showered, swam, showered again, packed and headed off to the airport for our overnight flight.

Our trip was wonderful, and I can’t wait to visit again!! Seven nights is not nearly enough to spend on Kauai!! Thanks for reading. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM

I want to come with you on your next trip! Great report!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Just seeing your report - very nice! Gadl you enjoyed it - made me want to be in Kauai right now.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
jcb
Original Poster

Thanks for reading MomDDTravel and sf7307. I want to go back NOW!!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM

You had me at Tunnels Beach...we have only been to Kauai once but it was fabulous.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks for sharing a great report and a relaxing trip. Moloa'a Bay would be worth a visit next time. Over to the far right of the bay is a lovely beach cove area with some rocks that one can snorkel around if the wave action isn't too much. We spent all day there and found it to be wonderful. If you get there in the morning, parking isn't as bad, but it doesn't take more than a half dozen cars or so and you're out of luck...which for those on the beach is a good thing.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM

My niece and nephew picked up and moved to Kauai the end of last year. I am going as soon as they find a house to buy. They love, love, love it there. I can't wait to go and this made me want to go even sooner.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Love your report! Glad you had a great time.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Sounds relaxing..next time we go, will do less sightseeing and more chillin'.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Great report! We were in Kauai May 19th through the 27th. We had a great time, but I think you hit on the best week of weather in May. We didn't see the sun much our entire trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Loved your trip report..felt I was on your lanai having a cup of coffee with you in the earling morning hearing the waves and the birds..
Going back to Kauai next year and can't wait!
aloha
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM

I really enjoyed your trip report. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Kauai is one of my favorite places in the world.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us. Going back to Maui shorty and now I just can't wait. You brought tears to my eyes reading your account of your trip. I love the Islands so much. We were on Kauai once and stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort, so I know the fabulous view you spoke of. Just gorgeous.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:54 AM

We are thinking of doing a week in Kauai and another 5 days in Maui.. After reading your report we're wondering if we should go to Maui. This is our first trip ever to hawaii!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM

>

What in jcb's report would make you change your mind to focus on just Maui? Just curious. I would think her/his report might convince one to bag Maui and focus solely on Kauai. Just sayin...
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM

iamq, actually, what you said is how I read simbamom's post -- that maybe she's decided to ditch Maui and just go to Kauai (could be read to say "wondering if we should JUST go to Maui" or "wondering if we should go to Maui AT ALL").

Simbasmom, do both -- they're very different and you have plenty of time for two islands.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM

Oh, I see how I misinterpreted what simbamom said.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM

Maybe, maybe not