Bar Harbor to Quebec

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bar Harbor to Quebec

Is driving from Bar Harbor to Quebec in June manageable in one day ? How long to clear customs with an Australian passport do you think ? Thank you all.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
BAK

Yeah but...

Yes, you could do this in one day.

I've criven from Moncton, NB, to Quebec City, leaving Moncton about 10 a.m and arriving in Quebec City in time for an early evening dinner. Driving fast, and not stopping.

You could get to Houlton Maine / Woodstock NB in about the same time it took me to get to Wookstock from Moncton.

But if you did this, you'd be concentrating your time in just aboutthe most boring part of New England USA and The Maritimes, Canada.

Those parts of Maine, New Brunswick and Quebec are great logging areas, where you'll see miles after miles of pine trees, or places where pine trees used to be.

Adding a second day and going up the Maine coast to Campebello Island, then to St. Andrews, NB, and maybe even over to Fundy National Park, and then heading north up the St. John River valley would make your visit a lot more interesting.

BAK
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Time is an issue but I'll consult the map again ! Thanks from Australia
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:21 PM

Hi, I live in Bar Harbor and drive to Quebec City a couple of times a year. It takes 6 hours or a little less, depending on how much you stop. We always leave early in the morning to arrive in QC in time for lunch---as there's not much cuisine worth stopping for en route and QC has wonderful restaurants. We drive via Bangor & Skowhegan, to the Jackman/Armstrong border crossing....watch for moose. As long as your papers are in order, I doubt you will have any trouble at the border, especially crossing into Canada. We always get more of a grilling coming back into the USA. Have fun in my town AND QC.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM

We did the crossing from Canada to the US last August (first week of the month), at the Jackman/Armstrong crossing. The actual crossing took maybe 5 minutes, if that. There was nobody in line ahead of us. I think the actual driving time was around 6 hours, but we stopped several times along the way from Quebec City to Bar Harbor. There was very little traffic in either direction for most of the route.

I thought there was plenty of nice scenery along the way, although the quickest route in Canada is not the most scenic (not bad, just boring in parts). There is a series of hills between it and a beautiful river valley that you could see better if you were on the slower road.

You will have to take the slower road part of the way north from the Canadian border. Be sure not to speed, as there are numerous signs warning that the area is under video surveillance and you can get a ticket sent to you (or to the rental car company in your case, who will make you pay!).