Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

To the Kind Soul Who Stole My Passport(s)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Ian
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I just wanted to post this in the hopes that it might wend its way through cyberspace & find you. Yeah YOU. The wonderful piece of humanity that did the cool smash & grab on the Hertz rental Yukon that was parked outside of L’Epice restaurant in Old Montreal Wednesday night two weeks ago about 9PM.

You remember . . . it was getting really cold & windy that night. It’s a shame that you must work nights but I am sure that your family misses you & is constantly proud of the booty that you bring home. You broke the rear driver window & grabbed my briefcase from the back. It was a shame that you skipped the BMW behind me & the Lexus SUV in front because that would have exponentially increased your haul.

I am sorry that my briefcase didn’t contain a laptop which was probably your main hope. I feel ashamed that all you got for your efforts were two passports, my Florida Sunpass, an old scratched pair of prescription sunglasses & miscellaneous pens & hotel loyalty cards. Oh & the mount & cable for my new TomTom. I must apologize that the TomTom was in my coat pocket & therefore not available for your future use. Maybe next time.

You will be happy to know about the work that you have thrown my way. So far, this has involved a US Embassy visit, a Canadian Passport office visit – including that cool side trip to the lawyer’s office for that nifty notarized document. Of course, I also had to go for new mug shots for the above & that’s always fun too. Not to forget the phone calls. To Hertz. To VISA insurance. To Sunpass. And the list goes on . . .

Anyways, a big thank you once again. I hope that you can fence the passports. I am sure that it is rare to find two matching ones in one grab. I hope that you have the underworld contacts to sell them because they do have value even though I did unfortunately have to report them stolen. Although I will admit that the Montreal police were less than helpful in this matter. The telephone theft report – the next morning - was fun but they wanted to see me in person for the documents but I was already in a different city so I had to pass on this wonderful opportunity.

Oh . . . I especially want to thank you because now I get to have one of the new super-duper US passports with all of the pretty pictures & inspiring quotations & the embedded chip. It really looks much better than the old boring one. Maybe you have stolen one already? I sure hope my new Canadian passport looks as cool.

Ian
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, at least he did not "ask" for it while making sure you had a clear view of the gun being directed to your son's head like I experienced in Russia!

Sorry for your experience but in the end, it's only paper. And unecessary waste of time, of course.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Sad to hear. On a brighter note, Ian, sarcasm becomes you
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Argh, Ian, I'm sorry. This makes the recent theft of my skirt by a hotel chambermaid blatantly insignificant by comparison.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Ian, sorry for your emotional discomfort. Everything else, but our nerves, is replaceable.