What, exactly, is a bidet for, anyway?

Mar 17th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Mary Anne

What, exactly, is a bidet for, anyway?

Even though I lived in France for several years, I never could find out for sure what a bidet's real purpose is. I've only washed underwear in them on extended biz trips.
I am sincere about this question and don't want to destablize the more sensitive of you, but my assumption has been that its primary purpose is for feminine hygiene and not hygiene for the derriere of both sexes.
Anybody know for sure???

Mar 17th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Rex

I'm not sure what it would mean to discuss the "primary" purpose versus any "secondary" purposes - - and which would qualify as the "real purpose".

It's about hygiene, plain and simple. In connection with menstruation, quick sex, not-so-quick sex - - or any other bodily function that prompts one to pay hygienic attention to the part of the body that fits there.

Mar 17th, 2001, 05:38 PM
xxx

I'm pretty sure you figured out the correct use. A friend of mine is from the Phillipines and brought one over to have installed in her bathroom, since she missed having one.

Mar 17th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Ed

Europeans, as a whole, used to take far fewer baths and showers than Americans do today. That didn't mean they didn't find it desirable to wash, at least in targeted areas.

Mar 17th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Al

On a 3-day pass, we found the bidet in our small hotel made an excellent beer cooler. It held a half-case quite nicely.

Mar 17th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Rex

Ah... the ALTERNATIVE uses - - there have been numerous threads about this!

Mar 18th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Paige

In my backpacking days I washed laundry in them. Last trip (Seychelles) I washed the sand off my feet in it.

Mar 18th, 2001, 04:36 AM
sylvia

Come now, do Americans take a bath or shower each time they use the lavatory?
I have a bidet in my bathroom and use it after I've been to the loo especially when I have been what my old mum calls "on serious business". Many cultures including the "dirty" Europeans consider that lavatory paper isn't very hygienic on its own.

Mar 18th, 2001, 04:36 AM
sylvia

Come now, do Americans take a bath or shower each time they use the lavatory?
I have a bidet in my bathroom and use it after I've been to the loo especially when I have been what my old mum calls "on serious business". Many cultures including the "dirty" Europeans consider that lavatory paper isn't very hygienic on its own.

Mar 18th, 2001, 08:11 AM
JimRose

o O (It's all starting to make sense now.... I never COULD understand why the punch bowl would be in the bathroom anyway... hmmmm....)

Mar 18th, 2001, 09:27 AM
StCirq

After a long day of strolling in Paris, you ask nicely for a bucket of ice at the hotel desk. You fill the bidet with the ice, bring a comfy chair into the bathroom, and soak your feet in ice-cold water to prepare them for tomorrow's travel's. Alternatively, you soak them in hot water if you are a hot-water-foot person.

Mar 18th, 2001, 09:45 AM
stefano

my dear [email protected]...
...i'm sorry to say but you don't even have an idea about that!!! i'm pure italian and i've moved from italy to new york city two years ago for matter of business...
believe me... i've travelled all over the world (no bidet at all, anyway) there are no people, among the civilized cultures, more dirthy than americans!!

Mar 19th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Hank

It is useful for a major male problem-dingleberries due to excessive hair in the vicinity of the male anus.

Mar 19th, 2001, 09:52 AM
clairobscur

The real original use of the bidet was to wash vagina after sex to limit the risk of pregnancy when there was no alternate contraceptive method (and the condom not readily accepted, I suspect). You can find references to females rushing to the bidet just after an (often illegitimate) intercourse in older literature (not really romantic, is it?).

There was a bidet in my family home when I was a child and I had no real clue myself about its purpose . It was there, that's all. My granny added some powder in the water, sat on a chair and took long foot baths in it. I suppose at this time I believed a bidet was designed for the tired foot of old persons.

Mar 19th, 2001, 10:05 AM
clairobscur

I forgot : alternately, it was used also when doctors prescribed(quite commonly 50 or 100 years ago)hip baths with various medications poured in the water for instance for veneral diseases,haemorrhoids, etc...

I suspect washing laundry is now the most common use of this item, when it exists. I also saw it used as beer cooler during parties, like Al.

Mar 19th, 2001, 10:37 AM
brown I's

I've never understood...do you air dry? or use toilet paper? Please respond.

Mar 19th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Ugh

So I'm assuming you'd also use a toilet to wash your clothes and cool your beer?

Mar 19th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Larry

You use a towel, just like washing your face. It's simple really, you don't need to bathe every time you come home from a long walk or a workout. You can still stay clean and fresh. Wash your face and underarms in the sink. Wash your your crotch in the bidet.
Try it; you might like.

Mar 19th, 2001, 11:30 AM
WHATTHE!?

You mean to tell me that some of you actually use the bidet as a cooler? Do you even have a clue as to how many bare asses have hovered above it? YOU'RE NUTS!

Mar 19th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Find this

I agree with "UGH"! I was totally grossed out when someone suggested the bidet to be used as a place to wash clothing! Now, beer?!? Yuk!!!

Search this Thread