Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Extended Family Vacation for next Christmas -- Where would you go that is WARM and BEACHFRONT?

Search

Extended Family Vacation for next Christmas -- Where would you go that is WARM and BEACHFRONT?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need some advice!! My extended family is planning a Christmas vacation for 2009. We consist of active grandparents from the West Coast, son (with two kids ages 2&4), from West Coast, daughter (with two kids ages 7&5) from Montana, and daughter from London.

We were originally thinking Maui, but are now considering other options mostly because of the cost and minimum stay requirements of condos in Maui and the flight time from London. The condos we are looking at are $700/night and have a 10 night minimum, so I guess my dream budget is less than that!!

My other ideas for locations are Playa del Carmen/Tulum, Pacific Coast of Mexico and Florida (Sanibel Island or Keys were my ideas).

We are looking for a beachfront location (close enough for the kiddos to walk to), two separate condos/houses near each other (again walkable distance) so we can spread out, small town/area to walk to that would offer touristy window shopping and a place to get a treat. Other than that, we don't require much. We are looking to hang out at the beach and explore the natural surroundings (maybe hike/kayak, etc.). We have no need for an active nightlife or glorious restaurants. It would be great if the beach was kid-friendly and protected by a reef.

So, where would you go? Please send me your favorites!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Hello julieh, here is one thought for you and your family which is in PV, Mexico.

http://sheratonvallarta-px.trvlclick.com/index.php
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:03 AM

The challenge with Florida in the winter is that you could have cool weather. The further south you get, the better chance of great weather. But Key West (the furthest south you can get) is not really a beach place.
I would look at Sanibel and Captiva on the Florida west coast. Lots of great beach and shelling. You should be able to find houses/condos (look on vrbo.com)
Day trip to the Everglades would be a good idea.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Have you considered Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands?
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM

If you want to find a house/villa in Playa del Carmen/Tulum area check out the web site

www.locogringo.com

Click on villas & houses. This will give you a huge list. You can also check out condos.

good luck, we love this part of Mexico. If you get a chance go to Grand Cenote for fresh water snorkeling.