Search

St. Croix

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Croix

25 year old male considering relocating for work at the refinery on St. Croix. I have just stared looking for info but thought I'd ask here.

What is the nightlife like? It there a good scene and lots of things going on?

is there hostility towards caucasions by the locals? Or is it pretty friendly overall?

is housing cost expensive for a single male? (apartment) what is it compared to other cities?

What are some recreational activities?

What are some good recommondations for other sites?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:19 AM

I'm in St. Thomas, a neighbor. Some locals don't like Statesiders moving down but a lot depends on how you treat people yourself. Just expect the occasional jerk. I think there's a fair amount of nightlife.

Lots of sailing, scuba, etc. which will help you get to know people. If you like animals, join the Humane Society & you'll meet more folks & they can always use the help & have lots of activities. Get involved in the community & you'll be part of it in no time. At your age, what have you got to lose? Go for it & good luck.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:46 AM

I think Carrybean is right - get involved and be friendly and you will receive the same in return. Since you specifically ask about other boards, I'd suggest http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/list.php?4 . That board deals with relocation questions. BE SURE to do a thorough search through the archives though - many of your questions will probably have been answered in previous posts. Good luck!!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM

1) There is no nightlife on St Croix. Even if there was you do not want to be out after dark, too dangerous. Most locals we talked to there don't go out after 10 p.m.

2) I would say race relations are pretty marginal on this island unfortunately. We were only there for a week but in that short time you can tell a lot.

Be sure to check the relocation board mentioned above at vinow.com. It will answer most of your questions.

STX is a beautiful island with a lot of great people and great things to do but unfortunately it has a lot of problems. Don't want to scare you away but do as much research as you can before moving, please.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:41 AM

I moved to St. Croix in 1990 from the States. I worked for a CPA firm on the island, right out of college. I was 23 years old. I didn't make much money, but my time there remains one of my fondest memories and a big reason why I try to get to the Caribbean annually.

I experienced zero hostility from the locals. I would say, generally speaking, it is a friendly island.

Nightlife was great and I partied pretty hard on the weekends. Hey, I was 23! Drinks are pretty cheap with the liqour prices cheaper than the mixers! A bottle of rum was $3.

Housing was expensive at first for me. I had no island contacts and rented a small 1 BR apartment, center island, for $750/month. This was post Hugo and island rentals were at a premium. I had no car, initially, and was reliant on the public transportation and my feet. I lived in a couple of other places with my favorite located in Estate St. John with a nice northern view of the sea. I think I paid $600/month for that place. Remember that these are early '90 rents....do a search online and you should find some current information.

I think it is an experience worth more than any money you can make there. I say "go for it!". I realize that I lived there 15 years ago, but things probably haven't changed a whole lot. Good luck in your decision and let me know if you have any other questions as they pertain to STX.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 08:07 AM

As Joanne2 says check out the moving forum at www.vimovingcenter.com.

Do a thourough search of that web-site. There tons of information there about relocating to the USVI's. You'll find answers to just about all your questions. Also, get a copy of "The Settler's Handbook" (you can use the link on that website to purchase it on line). That book is a must read for anyone who is contemplating a move to the VI's (or any other Caribbean island for that matter).

One recurring piece of advice you'll get from others who "have been there, done that" is the importance of making a "pre-move visit" to check out the island before you make any decision to relocate. This visit should be sufficiently long enough for you to get a real feel for what island living is like. You should stay in a housekeeping unit not a resort, do everyday chores like food shopping, laundry, checking out commuting (yes the island does have a "rush hour&quot, look at housing costs and neighborhoods, find out what it takes to register your car, pay your electric bill, etc. Remember life on an island is far different from visiting there on vacation - it's not all palm trees and pina coladas. You still have to get up each day and go to work to earn a living, you have to pay your bills, cook you meals, buy gas for your car and the hundreds of other things that make up daily life. Island life is not better or worse than where you now live its just different.

Good luck in your quest. If you do your research you'll be able to determine if island life is right for you.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Of course, all the resources Traveller mentions is good information. However, I did not have the luxury of the internet when I made my decision. Had I had that resource, it may have swayed me NOT to go. Sometimes you just need to go on your gut instinct, live and learn from your decisions. Remember, life is an adventure....and definitely more so when living on an island.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:13 AM

I didn't have the internet either & moved here after one day after flying up from Anguilla where I was vacationing for a job interview. Moved here within a week. That was 1989. Not sorry yet.