Potcake Place: Oh this is so great!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are big animal lovers, and wish we could adopt one! Maybe someone out there can!!
http://www.potcakeplace.com

What is a Potcake?
'Potcake' is the name given to the dogs of The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands. It came about because the locals fed the caked remains of the cooking pot to the dogs. As generations have passed, Potcakes have evolved into a breed which is extremely smart, loyal and loving. They grow up to between 40 lb and 70 lb, with 50 pounds being the average.

Potcakes are rescued from around the islands of the Turks and Caicos. The feral dog population of the islands is growing, and more and more litters of puppies are being found as well as individual pups at a loss without their littermates. They may be found by tourists whilst they are out exploring, or locals in their back yard, whilst they are working on construction sites, or driving around the island.

Adopt a Potcake. You will not be disappointed. You can save a life and make a difference in the future of one dog, of your own family, and of the Turks and Caicos Islands. Potcakes need your help.

Couriers needed
Are you travelling from Provo to an airport in the States or Canada- perhaps after a vacation here, or to get of-island for a time. Please volunteer to carry a pup with you to their new home. Just let us know the date and destination- the more options we have for the new owners, the more likely they will adopt.

Provo to ALL AIRPORTS IN THE US and CANADA- Homes waiting in Connecticut, Boston, New York, Miami, Toronto, Philadelphia.....

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:54 AM

Please, no offense meant but un fortunately we have many dogs in need of a home right here in the US. See your local animal shelter for more details.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:19 AM

They're called Coconut Retrievers here & I heard that some puppies were being sent to certain parts of the States who had a shortage of puppies in their shelters due to the success of spay/neuter programs. That's a very good thing!

Oh, and if anyone is on St. Thomas or St. John October 15, be sure to come to Barktoberfest at Bolongo Beach Resort. It's a dog show with lots of contests like "Best dressed dog" (I'm entering mine in that one), "Best Tail-wagger" and lots of other contests. It's a benefit for the Humane Society of St. Thomas. It's a whole lot of fun & last year some tourists fell in love with one of the adult Shelter dogs & adopted her & she's now happily living in the States.

<i>This has been a Public Service announcement. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled program.</i>
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:44 AM

Speaking of adopting animals, ever heard of the Donkey Sanctuary on Bonaire? http://www.bonairenature.com/donkey/
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:08 AM

I've been to the donkey sanctuary on Bonaire..
very neat place.
As far as adopting dogs, there is a need all over..in the States ..and certainly in all the islands.
Many tourists do adopt dogs here on St. Maarten too ( we call them cocunut retrievers too) and it is such a rewarding thing to do.
I encourage more animal adoptions everywhere.
Saving an aniaml will earn you a special place in this world.
This is the web page for our aniaml welfare organization. click on the adoption page to see the cutest pictures.
http://www.animal-welfare-sxm.com/
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM

There's at least one frequent poster here who has a SATO dog adopted from PR. Can't remember his/her name, though.

Adopting a dog from PR and bringing it to the US is fairly easy, as I recall from doing my research. We were going to get a SATO dog, too, before we ended up adopting a dog locally.

But what are the procedures for bringing a dog into the US from foreign soil? Is there a quarantine? Or will veterinarian papers and proof of vaccines suffice? Or does it vary from country to country?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM

it's easy to bring a dog in. you just need proof of shots and vet papers. no quarantine necessary.. at least not from here in st. maarten to the USA.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:52 AM

Barbara, that's very good to know, so thank you for posting. My husband vacationed regularly on St. Barths a couple of decades ago and fell in love with one of the strays who befriended him, but he was given to understand that bringing him home to the US would involve a quarantine, fees, and who knows what else.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:13 PM

We befriended a little dog who passed by our house a couple of times a day. She always held her head low, her fur was all matted, but always came for a little pet to her head!
We resisted feeding her, then one day gave her a piece of cheese and that was it. She never left!!
We checked with the neighbors, and she had a history of being left behind.
I took her to the groomer on the island and to get all her shots (she had been spayed).
We had the papers from the vet and that is all we needed to bring her home. And I am not even sure they asked for her health certificate...
She is now the most proud little dog you have ever seen.
Thank you for sharing the potcake story and website!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM

Barbara, do you happen to know Rush Little? He was very active with your Sint Maarten animal organization. (He's now living in France.)
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:19 PM

I forgot to mention that this took place on Vieques and that we brought her home to Maine! Sorry...
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:06 PM

carrybean
I did know Rush Little although not very well.
He used to have Mary's Fancy Hotel, right??
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM

I'm famous for adopting animals. My four cats were kittens that someone literally threw away.
How could I pass up those cute little faces?
Just last week a stray wandered into our yard and...you guessed it. She looks like she had been hit by a car, was so skinny and so friendly! How could I resist?
She is now number four in my dog family...her new name is Bones.

Already she's the boss!
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Barbara, it was Mary's Boon. Before he owned that, he managed Passangrahan for years. I worked with him at Mary's Boon. BIG animal lover.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Jagirl, I can't pass up a needy animal either. I had 2 from Sint Maarten &amp; every dog I've owned here has had a &quot;past&quot; &amp; all have been wonderful animals.

My latest had been run over by a car &amp; was brought to my vet to be put to sleep because the bones in her back legs were sticking out. He stuck the needle in her leg &amp; she wagged her tail so he pulled the needle out &amp; operated on her. She walks with a little wiggle but she's the love of my life.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Carrybean, You used to work at Mary's Boon? We've styed there before and loved it. Are the owners ex-pats from Kansas City?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Carrybean, that story about your injured dog brought tears to my eyes. She's lucky to have you and a vet willing to work on her like that!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:07 PM

mahobaygirl
What a wonderful story - you are both so lucky to have found each other.

JAGIRL
all of the cats we have ever owned (6 so far) have been 'throw aways' and all have been wonderful although we do have one who is very skittish around the other 3 and the dogs but she sleeps on my pillow and purrs me to sleep

Carrybean
That sounds like my kind of vet!

PandyB - thanks for posting.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Pappy, I think the present owners of Mary's Boon are from TX or KS. I don't know them. They came after I left. Quite a lot of changes since I was there.

It's so great SXM got an animal welfare organization going there. It sure was needed. We had a whole pack of rescued dogs &amp; cats at MB when I was there - all great dogs.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Aw I remember hearing of potcakes when I was in T&amp;C. I remember too where I went horseback riding, they had a few dogs, and there was a Great Dane that I loved and took a picture of.

If I didn't already have two dogs, I would love to adopt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -