English Frommage

Search

English Frommage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English Frommage

Our trip to London opened our eyes to a lot of greatness in the UK...

One of the delights we sampled was Stilton cheese for the very first time at dinner at the Grenadier. Since returning home to Michigan, we've been unable to find this treasure on store dairy shelves here. Any Fodorites know of a website that sells Stilton to consumers in the USA?
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Jimmy, I don't know where in Michigan you live, but I live in the metro-Detroit area and Stilton, as well as other English cheeses, are available at some of the international markets (like Nino Salvaggio, Papa Joes, etc...) You can even occassionally find it in the imported cheese section at larger grocery stores like Meijer.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jimmy, there are many places to buy it on line. Right now I'm looking at my William Sonoma catalog, and as usual, they have it.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
SRS

I don't know if they carry Stilton, but I think they might. Check out www.fromages.com

Sally
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I am only aware of English Frottage.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? They have it...almost forgot..also Wild Oats...don't know if these store are west coast only. Good luck with your search.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:16 AM

It's also available online at sites like igourmet.com - but it's not cheap!

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Zingermans (www.zingermans.com) has it, along with many other cheeses.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, better grocery stores, Beverages & More (which has a small but surprisingly good cheese dept), import shops, lots of places carry stiltons. I'm not in Michigan so can't give you specific grocery store names - but a couple of other posters have given you some.

On-line sources (igourmet and others) are good but tend to be more expensive because you have to pay postage.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Jimmy,

As you mentioned you live in Michigan, I would hope that you might be close enough for a drive into the City (Detroit). We live about 50 miles north of the City, and purchase our cheeses (and Lord knows we buy a lot of cheese) at R. Hirt Jr. Company in the Eastern Market. They have the largest collection of cheeses that I have been able to find in our state.

I have purchased Stilton there, as well as a number of other fine European blues. I have found their prices as good or even better than what I could buy the cheese for in Europe (one of my favs is aged gouda - don't think I have paid more than $12 a pound for the really good stuff yet!).

If you go there you need to know how the place operates. This is a store, and so there are many goods available for purchase, oils, vinegars, crackers, breads, etc. etc... They have wicker things and other "collectables" on the upper floors. The cheese is found in the coolers on your right as you walk into the store. There is a counter in front of the coolers where you take all of your selections to be priced/listed on your checkout bill. At the counter you make your selections of cheese and have them added to your bill. Word to the wise, have an idea of what you want before you step up to the counter - ask for the cheese listing so you can make your selections before stepping up to the counter. The listing, which is broken down by country of production, lists the type of cheese and pricing. If you aren't sure of what you want you could ask for a taste before you buy - they are great about offering up a slice. They do note a one pound minimum purchase, but I have seen some people ask for less (might depend on the person who cuts your cheese if they will go for less). Once in a while all they have left of a block of cheese might be a half to three quarters of a pound - so you can just take that "chub" if you want. Once your purchases have been totaled you step to the cashier's window and pay for your goods.

I normally shop on Saturdays, and take time to get my veggies and fruits in the Eastern Market. R. Hirt is open until 5:00 pm, but they stop cutting cheese at 4:00 pm. I have been there during the week too, but normally it was around lunch, so I could not say how late they close the counter M-F.

Hope this helps! Even if you live a distance from the city you should consider making a trip in for these goodies!

Cheers,

Ken

Their address and phone is:

R. Hirt Jr. Company.
Address: 2468 Market St
Detroit, MI 48207-4597
Phone: (313) 567-1173
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Great info, Ken! I might just have to drive down there and check it out sometime!

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Kay,

A trip to the market will be well worth your time! I have been able to pick up a number of good things at Nino's, but I do find them to be a little more limited, and a bit pricier than the Hirt Company. But Nino's will surely do in a "pinch" - got to mention that last week I picked up a pound of Amish gorgonzola at Nino's on Hall Road it was so good it was gone in 24 hours!

Now if you like olives, Nino's has some pretty good ones too BUT in the Eastern Market area, on the same side of the street at the Hirt Company there is a small place just to the north of Hirt Co. (can't think of the name right now) that has vats of olives - some of the best I have ever had. Their garlic stuffed olive is fantastic (little more expensive than Nino's but worth it!)

Question back to you Kay - where is Papa Joes? Not familiar with that location - could you give me a direction?

Thanks!

Ken
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Ken, there is a Papa Joes in Rochester - Rochester Road and Hamlin Road (about 2.5 miles north of M-59.) There is also another Nino's at Rochester Road and South Blvd (just south of M-59.)