Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How many of you get shots before a trip to SEA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a trip to Vietnam next year and my husband is adamant that he needs shots 2 months prior to going. Just curious if anyone else does this?

TIA...
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM

I guess it would depend on what type of “shots” you mean…..IMO <i>everyone</i>, no matter where they live and what their age is should have Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, Tetanus and updates for the regular childhood diseases (TB, diphtheria, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella). That is just common sense no matter where you are. Flu shot if you are so inclined and more so if you are older. (But a different strain may be present in SE Asia anyway.) Rabies perhaps, but generally not unless you will be working or living in areas where you may encounter animals.

Hep B shots are a series of 3 shots, the first usually given about 4-6 months before the last. The others are a one-time jab and can be done anytime. There is no immunization shot for Malaria, but there is a prophylactic which you need to start taking about 4 weeks before you leave.

Other than that, you can read the cdc.org or http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/ (which is quite good for tropical areas) for information on what you may want to consider for Vietnam. Other than Malaria meds, as long as you have the above, I don’t think much else would be necessary.

I <i>live</i> in SE Asia, have most of the above (no flu or Malaria). I would not travel <u>to the US</u> without most of the above. I am going to Papua New Guinea next year and will be getting a Rabies jab and using Malaria meds as I will be working in a jungle area.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Totally concur with Cicerone. I live in NYC but travel frequently to different parts of the world. Wouldn't dream of not having all my shots except flu. Bring Malaria tablets when going to areas where they may be needed, have never had a rabies vaccination.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM

Yes, I make sure I'm up to date on all recommended immunizations. The new web address for the cdc is
wwwn.cdc.gov/travel

They have excellent info on recommended immunizations and other health precautions for travelers.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:25 AM

I usually have several shots of tequila in the lounge before getting on the plane.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:04 AM

rizzuto... lol...
Those who know me (and also all my family members who travel to BKK) know that we have never had any shots before heading there. But we don't go into jungle settings. We visit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and the islands... usually Phuket or Samui.
Carol
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:31 AM

we visit the travel clinic prior to all trips to unusual destinations where there might be problems....we do not consider thailand to be one of those destinations. we have had all the normal shots suggested above and also updates on polio.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 08:12 AM

i take all the required shots, including the tequila ones, before ANY trips anywhere.

I've seen too many disfigured and lame people in other parts of the world to want to risk not having a couple of jabs on one's arm. The inconvenience is minimal for the safety.

Believe tetanus shots are also a multi-course, multi-month affair.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:27 PM

Idiot Dogster, of course, takes nothing. Somehow I've survived. That's me - not you.

But there is SOME method in the madness. There are several rationales behind my idiocy. Like Carol I'm not trekking in the jungle or visiting tribes etc. Like Carol I don't see great risk in 5 star hotels, city stops etc. Haven't seen too many rabid dogs at the Oberoi lately. And I'm careful about food. Occasionally I get the squits. Well - that's travel.

Don't abuse me - I like Carol, come in here merely to give some balance. Just do what you feel comfortable with.

I reckon you're at greatest risk on the long plane journeys - flu shots are a good idea. I always get a lurgie after I travel because of the loon sitting next to me who sneezes on me. I don't like that.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM

dog--unlike carol you have been seen in some unsavory places...just looking i suspect
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:54 PM

Certainly unsavoury - but not necessarily unhealthy.

Now, if they just had a jab to prevent public stupidity and drunkenness...
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM

in that case you would be in a long line
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM

I'm with Dog, had some shots when i first went to SE Asia 6 years ago and haven't really thought about it since!!!! not big or clever i know but i don't ever seem to stress about these things - (I haven't been to the doctors for 6 years) AND i have been to farley tame places in SE Asia
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 06:00 AM

although i did meet up with Bob and Andy in Bangkok a couple of years ago... should i have taken more precautions then?
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM

I do actually have some reasoning behind my steering clear of the shots. It's got nothing to do with fear of needles or doctors. I have some strange allergies. I do NOT take any meds of any kind because of a fear of having another bout of antiphylactic shock, which nearly killed me, while in Paris in about 1985. Although it was not a med that caused it, I am very concerned when they talk of the side effects of so many of the meds today. I also got sicker than a dog and had to be hospitalized the ONLY time I ever took a flu shot about, 43 years ago. Haven't had one since!

dog... you lead a much more exciting life than I do... interesting that you and I agree that we don't &quot;need&quot; meds because of the places we visit.

Carol

Old Nov 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insight to the shots. I'm vietnamese, and have been back to my homeland before. DH has not which is probably why he's paranoid about the shot issue. We would only visit Saigon (HCMC) possibly Hanoi and Cantho and would stay in the city areas. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry though.

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM

Regardless of what shots you do or don't get, you still need to be vigilant with what you eat and drink, and take precautions to reduce/prevent mosquito bites.