Search

Getting to St. Croix

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to St. Croix

I am planning a trip to St. Croix after reading many positive comments by you all.
Do planes from Charlotte or other hubs fly directly to St. Croix? I have had so many bad experiences with AA out of JFK lately that I will probably leave from Long Island's Islip airport. I'd love some advice on getting there and a place to stay that has a good beach with walkable, bikeable stores and restaurants. Looking to settle somewhere with less travel hassles. Thanks. Nicholas T.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:32 AM

According to Expedia, you can get flights from Islip on United or USA air to St Croix, via Philadelphia, Atlanta or Boston. Some of these are code shares with American and Cape Air. Expedia is not the cheapest, but was showing some good prices like $550 (requires two changes). To the best of my knowledge, there are no non-stop flights to St Croix from any Long Island airport or from Newark.

You also might want to consider a non-stop flight to St. Thomas or St Croix from Newark or JFK, and then a connecting flight to St Croix. This may be cheaper and/or faster than going from Islip. Continental has non-stop service to St Thomas and San Juan from Newark, and American may as well. Once you get to St Thomas or St Croix, you will need to change planes to get to St Croix. American Eagle has service to St Croix, they operate as a code share with American Airlines, go to the AA website for flight info. Cape Air has service to St Croix. Website is www.flycapeair.com Another option is to take a seaplane, which is a very fun way to get to from either San Juan or St Thomas to St Croix. In San Juan, they depart from the pier area in Old San Juan. On St Thomas, they depart from the port area about a ten minute cab ride from the airport. Seaborne airlines has service, take a look at http://www.seaborneairlines.com/.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM

From EWR you have to connect to get to STX.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:42 AM

Sorry, I meant a non-stop flight to St Thomas or San Juan, not St Croix as there are no non-stop flights to St Croix...
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:34 AM
cdt

This may have changed, but the last I knew, USAir had a flight which landed in St. Thomas and continued on to St. Croix, so you stayed on the plane. I think it originated in Philadelphia.

There are numerous non-stops from JFK and Newark to San Juan, and some to St. Thomas, but I don't know about Islip.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:34 AM

Nicholas: I am also planning a trip to St Croix and could leave from ISP or JFK-am interested in how you made out and what is the cheapest way to get to St Croix from eith PR or St T.
thanks for any help. Rose NY