Last minute travel plans - Europe destinations in late June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have high hopes for this coming to fruition, but I am thinking of making a last minute travel plans to Europe at the end of June or early July for 7-9 days due to my schedule opening up during this time. I absolutely understand there are many barriers to this including costs, finding hotel availabilities, and other aspects that generally require booking far in advance. I think the cost and flight/hotel issues are somewhat controllable on my end as my budget could be flexible for this. That said, I am brainstorming potential European destinations and would love input. I would be going with 1 or 2 additional people. Goals of the trip are simply cultural experience, sight seeing, food, and shopping. I have visited most major European destinations before (e.g., London, Paris, Amsterdam, Italy, southern Spain, and Bavarian Germany). Given it would be June, I would ideally avoid high tourist areas (although know this may be impossible) and extremely hot weather.

That said, I am contemplating of the following:
  • Stockholm, Sweden and maybe another area in Scandinavia (have already visited Copenhagen)
  • Berlin
  • Austria (Innsbruck and Lake Hallstatt) - I have been to Salzburg before and saving Prague/Vienna for a future Christmas Market trip
  • Contrary to the preferences I mentioned above, could consider Italy again (Milan and Lake Como as never been or focus on Amalfi Coast since it has been almost 2 decades ago). I only mention Italy since I saw some reasonable airplane flights to Italy and see some hotel availabilities that are within price range
Any other thoughts or ideas? Worst case I could stay domestic or within North America.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you thought of Turin? It's a beautiful city, easily reachable from Milan, and won't be as mobbed as other Italian destinations. I did a relatively short (under two weeks) last-minute July trip to Turin-Camogli-Milan, one year pre-Covid. My work schedule opened up suddenly and I went for it. A great trip!

Just tossing it out there as a idea and for encouragement. You can do it, especially if your budget is flexible.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 08:06 PM

My husband and I spent five days in Berlin two years ago and barely scratched the surface of all there was to see. Its museums are amazing and its history is fascinating.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:57 PM
mjs

If shopping is important to you then cities are probably your intended destination. Sightseeing you can do in a lot of places. Any interest in the countryside somewhere and driving?
Berlin is a good choice as there is a fair amount to do there including great museums, history, some interesting food and probably some interesting shopping. You might find the
KaDeWe department store interesting. Berlin is also not that expensive. I would not however spend 7- 9 days in Berlin but you can pair it with another city with an open jaw airfare. Some cities that come to mind include Copenhagen, Lisbon, Dublin, Edinburgh, Oslo....all which have non stop flights in between them.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 10:41 PM

June is not high season in Europe.
Italy is rather cheaper than Scandinavia and full of interesting places like
Turin (see above), Parma, Bergamo, Verona - Lake Garda, Perugia, Aosta and the Alps (Mont Blanc, Gran Paradiso, Matterhorn), Bari with Castellana Caves, Matera, Aberobelllo and Lecce, Siracusa, Palermo........
In France I would check Lyon and Vienne (wtih all kinds of museums and tons of Roman stuff), Dijon and Burgundy, Strasbourg and Alsace, Lille/Arras and he Louvre museum at Lens.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:11 PM

My vote is Stockholm

Stockholm is beautiful in June and you won't get the tourist insanity of a lot of the major capitals of Europe.

You can get yourself a non-stop flight out of several major US cities on SAS to Stockholm. You might even find a promotion if you check the SAS website.

The US dollar is strong against the Swedish crown so Sweden is the cheapest alternative of the Scandinavian countries.

Check Booking.com. There are rooms available in June for a week (five-six nights) for anywhere from $150 ($30 a night) for a bed in a hostel to $1600 for a decent hotel.

Midsummer is June 21st-22nd.

PS. I live in Sweden.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the insightful tips!

I just realized that the 2024 UEFA Euro Football (soccer) games will be taking place in Germany (including Berlin) during the time I'd be visiting - not sure how crowded or busy things would get. Plus, I don't know why but I've always envisioned visiting Berlin in the Fall or Winter with grayer skies for a more industrial/darker feel.

So, I'm currently narrowing it down to two potential options: 1) Milan and Lake Como since it has been a dream bucket list item or 2) Stockholm +/- another city such as Oslo since the weather seems like it'd be nice. Interestingly, airplane prices from my departing city are cheaper for Milan than Stockholm.

For Milan and Lake Como, is there anything that would require reservations or getting tickets sooner than later? Outside of hotel and flights, I can only think of maybe restaurant reservations. Any area or hotel recommendations to stay at Lake Como? Thinking of Varenna given the location and access to trains to Milan. I think the weather will be warm in late June (high 80s Fahrenheit); hopefully rain wouldn't be an issue for Lake Como.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 09:32 AM

If you want to see the Last Supper of Leonardo da Vinci, you will hve to book ahead.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:54 AM

Sweden in June! Do Stockholm and the Archipelago. Go berry picking on an island, celebrate midsummer
Old May 24th, 2024, 12:36 AM

Stockholm vs Milan

Originally Posted by wanderingnomad123
Interestingly, airplane prices from my departing city are cheaper for Milan than Stockholm.
You might want to take a hard look at prices of accommodations in both cities. You can get fairly inexpensive beds at hostels in Stockholm, if you want to save money, so what you may save on a plane ticket might cost you in accommodations.
Anyway, please keep us updated after your trip with a report.
Old May 24th, 2024, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
My husband and I spent five days in Berlin two years ago and barely scratched the surface of all there was to see. Its museums are amazing and its history is fascinating.
I visited Berlin 5/6 times in the past, always in July .
Thinking about another visit in early July. ( before the soccer tournament.) From Berlin it was easy for me to connect ( train or cheap flights) to Dresden, Prague, Hamburg, Munich, Brussels, Amsterdam…
A great city and big enough that tourist season didn’t matter.Also, hotel rates have always been more reasonable than London, Paris, Amsterdam…

Last edited by danon; May 24th, 2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old May 24th, 2024, 12:22 PM

I'd look at the Basque region of northern Spain...
Some of the best food in Europe.
Fantastic shopping (although I have no idea what you would like to buy??)

You've got more than a month....I don't think this is so difficult....

Amalfi Coast..would not be my choice. Just too jam packed during that time of year.....I am probably jaded, however.

Turin..great idea....maybe Turin and Milano?

Bologna has great food and shopping.

You have about a hundred great options.....

Old May 24th, 2024, 12:29 PM

Not long ago we took a trip for our anniversary and loved it so much we came back a few years later with the kids.

How about several days in Oslo and then some time in the Norwegian fjords? Bergen is popular, but we preferred to take a train north to Andalsnes, rent a car and then drive around the Geiranger area...a lot less crowded. Weather should be great in late June and the mountain passes will be open (see Trollstigen and hwy 63 south of Geiranger).
Old May 24th, 2024, 01:21 PM

I think Milan/Lake Como or Stockholm(+?) would both be great trips, it depends what you want.
Milan/Lake Como will be getting crowded and hot. But Milan is historically interesting and Lake Como is stunningly beautiful and relaxing. I do recommend Varenna. The ferries are a great way to get around and are also a fun way to see this beautiful area. It is a wonderful place to rejuvenate, enjoy good food and tour the villas and gardens there. There are a lot of water sport opportunities.It is exactly what you have dreamed of. But, there isn't that much to do there, and if you do get rainy weather, I don't know how you would fill your time.

I haven't been to Stockholm, but in this time frame, it would appeal to me more. It would be cooler, and the vivid blue skies and water would be so refreshing. It visually beautiful with a lot more museums and cultural activities available. It strikes me as a more active trip, it is definitely on our list.

So, it depends what you need from a trip right now. I wouldn't get to hung up on just the airfare cost. Hotels, food and airport transfers all play into the bottom line. And sometimes easier flight schedules, connections and nonstops are worth a few extra dollars. What a wonderful dilemma to have. Enjoy!
Old May 25th, 2024, 07:37 AM

Austria! Innsbruck and Lake Wolfgang (Wolfgangsee) vs. Lake Hallstatt which is overflowing with tour groups that time of year. In Lake Wolfgang stay at the Romantik Hotel Im Weissen Rössl (White Horse Inn) or The Peter. White Horse is amazing!!!!! In Innsbruck take the Norkette up to the top of the mountain. You will feel like you're in the Sound of Music and break out in "The Hills Are Alive!"