Search

Transportation: Venice - Dolomites - Venice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2024, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation: Venice - Dolomites - Venice

Hi all,

I searched for tips on transportation between Venice and the Dolomites because I understand it is a popular trip. My question is about reaching a specific town, San Vigilio Marebbe. Lots of train, bus and rental car options!

Is renting a car in Venice the easiest way to get there and back? Google Maps says 3 hours and 5 minutes from VCE via Strada Statale 51 de Alemagna and A27. The drive sounds lovely, although I remember reading that it is quite winding with hairpin turns in the mountains.

Or would you recommend the direct bus between Venice and Cortina d'Ampezzo (or other city in the area that has a direct bus?) and then a private taxi or driver to San Vigilio?

A train from Venezia San Lucia to San Lorenzo *the closest train station) is 4 1/2 hours and 3 changes. A train from Venezia San Lucia to Bolzano is 3 hours and 1 change. We could get a taxi service or driver from there.

I know there are lots of opinions and this is probably a personal preference choice. But I'd love to hear if I am missing anything and your opinions of your favorite way to get to these tiny out of the way towns.

Thank you!
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 10:53 AM
J62

I think this is a case of "you can't get there from here".

If San Viglio is a must, then I would rent a car from Pzle Rome, if you are starting from Venice., or take a train to Bolzano/Bozen and rent there.
If your destination in the Dolomites is flexible, then perhaps pick somewhere with a direct connection like Cortina.

Last edited by J62; Apr 10th, 2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks J62. Yes, it's definitely a hassle! I think we should have flown into Innsbruck for a shorter, more direct transfer. I just read on here constantly that people go from the Veneto to the Dolomites. I guess we should toss a coin!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 11:49 AM

We were in the Dolomites last fall, Ortisei and Cortina. It's a wonderful area. You've picked a tough destination to get to.

We rented a car in Innsbruck and drove in (dropped the car later in Vienna). I recommend renting a car for the trip. You can rent one at Venice by the train station or at VCE. The drive north is very pleasant, good highway much of the way then twisty mountain roads when you get into the mountains.

I understand that you can take a train as far as Bolzano (which is worth a stay too). But, while the mountain towns are well served by bus routes, changes and waits will drag the trip out. But if your budget is an issue and time is not, this is viable.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:13 AM

During the season, yoju can go by bus (Brusutti) from Venice to Canazei and change there to a Alta Badia bound bus.
Brusutti | Company
Otherwise train via Verona - Fortezza to San Loenzo plus local bus (every 2 hrs) to San Vigilio
or Bus Venice - Cortina d'Ampezzo plus bus Cortina - Toblach plus train or bus to Brunico and bus via San Lorenzo to San Vigilio
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 12:52 AM

I asked this question earlier and the cargo gondolas advised me) Just kidding
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Thinking that a car service might be best. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 04:15 AM
J62

How about renting a late 60’s Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce? You could take all back roads to maximize the fahrvergnügen.