Reload this Page >

Driving thru Dolomites to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 06:10 PM
Kathy

We will be spending the first week of our trip in Tuscany and then driving north through the Dolomites and finishing in Venice. We have 1 week for this second week (1st week of Oct). Any recommendations of routes, places to stay and see would be greatly appreciated. We will likely be staying in Venice for 2 days and don't want to spend more than 175 USD a night in Venice. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Kathy

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:14 AM
Peter

Kathy, <BR> Firstly the Dolomites are north of Venice, so you would be driving past Venice and then back down again. Is this what you intend? <BR>Secondly, where in Tuscany will you be starting out from. If you are down south I suggest you travel east to take in Assisi. It is the most beautiful, virgin white place I have seen. It seems so serene. <BR> Then north to San Marino for some very inexpensive souvenirs (remember it is a country in itself and has very little taxes). From there, if you only have a week, straight to Venice. <BR> If you are starting from the north of Tuscany head straight to San Marino then to Venice. Alternatively, if you are at all Ferrari mad travel north from Tuscany on the SS12 to Maranello and see the home of Ferrari. The route is very picturesque if slower than the Autostrada. <BR> Remember the more scenic the drive the longer it will take and you will have to travel at least 2 to 3 hundred kilometres (120 to 180 miles) as the crow flies to get from Tuscany to Venice. <BR> <BR>Ciao and have fun

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:28 AM
Mel Roberts

The Dolomites are extremely beautiful, and I have travelled by bus to Venice from Austria via the Dolomites. We stopped in the winter sports resort of Cortina D'AMpezzo, a pretty town in a very scenic setting. Make sure you see the ski jump if you go there, it's quite breathtaking to just look up and try to figure out WHY anyone would want to hurl themselves off such a thing! There was also a very pretty mountain pass we passed through to get to Cortina. I think it was called Tre Croci, although that might have been the name of a mountain (or three?). All I remember is that there is a lake at the top of the pass and tourist shops/cafés etc. and tradesmen selling cheap leather jackets... and the road. Don't be surprised if you'll see big holes in the road where parts of it have gone hurtling down the side of a mountain! Wherever you go, be you're bound to have a good time. Also, if you'll be travelling through the same area twice, you might notice the colours of the mountains change, depending on the direction of the Sun! I assume this is because they contain minerals such as quartz which bend light.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 08:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kathy, I know this area well and you will love it. <BR>I was there last Oct. for the 3rd time, and I would <BR>suggest this itinerary. Drive past Verona and exit <BR>near Roverto over to Riva del Garda for 2 nites. Then north past Bolzano and exit on S-242 into the <BR>Val Gardena---stay at the cute village of Ortisei. <BR>Take your pick of places---this is off season. <BR>I like the Angelo-Engel hotel, but lots of options. <BR>Then, drive east thru the Sella pass for fabulous <BR>scenery enroute to Cortina for a nite. From there, <BR>you can see the road south past Treviso to Venice. <BR>I would spend 4 days at Garda and the Dolomites and <BR>the balance in Venice. More people should take this <BR>route---one of the best in Italy---enjoy.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 08:44 AM
mark

I had the pleasure of skiing Val Gardena (Ortisei, Selva & St. Christina) this past Jan. Absolutely, the most beautiful place I've ever been and the food is fantastic. Ortisei is very nice but so is Corvara, Selva, Arraba and every other village. Cortina is beautiful but a bit more touristy. <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 10:57 AM
Sal

<BR>A great place to stay in Venice is the Hotel Montecarlo. It is only 75 yards from the Basilica Di San Marco and the Piazza San Marco. Also just a short walk from where the Vaporetto stops at San Marco. An added feature is it is a 5 min. walk to the Rialto Bridge from the hotel. The price for a double with air & private bath is around $110.00.It is an excellent hotel with a fantistic location and very good services. A steal for the price! You can book it through Best Western. Two excellent places to eat in Venice are L'Incontro and Taverna San Trovaso. Both are in the Dorsoduro district.About a 15 min. walk from the Piazza. They are not tourist traps and the food is typical of Venice.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 07:11 PM
Dayle

I also had the experience of skiing the Cortina area and agree that the Dolomites are stunningly beautiful. The small towns and villas are charming and the early evening "mink coat" parade down the main street of Cortina is something to see. Every local female resident wears a full length, brown mink, obviously, nothing else is acceptable. I would think that many of the trams are open for summer riding and hiking - definitely recommend it! <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 11:47 AM
Kathy

Thanks everyone for your responses. Bob, the Navigator, I think you were reading my mind. What you have suggested is what we had in mind but weren't sure exactly where to go. I know we will need to book Venice soon, but do you think we could get away with just calling ahead to find places to stay along the route you have suggested? Thanks again for your recommendations. <BR> <BR>Kathy