Search

Oahu with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu with Kids

kids are 5yo, 7yo.

1. Iolani Palace. Will it be great / ok / boring for them? which of the tours would you choose - Audio / Docent-led / Chamberlain?

2. Hanauma Bay. Is it worth to go there if we do not plan to do snorkeling (just watch from the beach, get just a bit into the water etc).

3. Diamond Head. We are not super active so definitely cannot reach the top. Is it worth it if we just do a short hike (maybe 45 min slow walk roundtrip, without too much climbing)? Maybe just watch the place from a far?

Thank you!
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 09:15 AM

1. I don't know your kids. I think Bishop Museum has more kid-centric stuff, check the websites. It is a relatively inexpensive Uber ride from Waikiki.

2. No. There is a beach that is nice for kids near the Duke statue, with a seawall to break the waves. It's called "Kuhio Beach" on maps. (All beaches are public).

3. No. If you just want a view there are other options. Having to make reservations makes Diamond Head a hassle. You can get the iconic view of Waikiki with Diamond Head just from the beach, too.

Just wondering why you have listed these three sights. I hope you have researched Waikiki well and understand that it is a busy, expensive urban setting.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we will stay at Aulani for 5 days (with a couple of tours to Kuala ranch and PCC). Was wondering if it is worth it to spend last night at Waikiki so we'll have a feeling we've seen more of Oahu and not just stayed in one place. As a grown up the places I chose would be the ones that excite me (along Waikiki beach) but from your answers seem they are not for (my) kids. Would only come over to Waikiki if there are top attractions for kids there (or in a drive distance). Are there any other attractions you would recommend (in Waikiki or elsewhere) that are worth it? We disqualified waterfalls / temple / botanical gardens since kids are super afraid from mosquitoes. thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I loved Iolani Palace, but your children may still be a bit too young. Our daughter came with me, she was 10. She found the toilet room interesting since the hole the royals would sit on was huge! (Outhouse type)She commented that they must have been big people. I don’t think it would be worth spending one night in Waikiki. If you want to see it, do a day trip. It’s a city, lots of traffic, congested.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:17 PM

As I responded later on TA, I'd look into leaving the kids at Aunty's Beach House for 3 hours and go over to Iolani Palace on your own. (If that is high on your list).

I personally would avoid Waikiki entirely, instead head up to the north shore to Haleiwa, visit one or two of the beaches that way. Still busy but not as bad as Waikiki, and will probably take less time to get there than to Waikiki (traffic is worse than LA, lots of one-way streets).

https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/oah...-shore/Haleiwa
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 04:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you would like to see more than just one location on Oahu, then that last night in Waikiki would be an easy one to plan. Between the two huge parks at either end of Waikiki (Fort deRussy or Kapiolani), the Aquarium, the Zoo, at least four different stages to see free performances of Hawaiian music and dance live on various evenings, there's plenty of things that could be fun for a family and a bit different from staying at a resort property.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think we'll keep Aulani as the base and see what makes sense to add as a day trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 12:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That works Oahu is not that large of an island geographically. As long as you are willing to rent a car and do various drives, easy to see whatever part(s) of the island interests you on day trips.