Search

Cambria

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambria

Top restaurants in Cambria? We are there for 4 nights....

then on to Paso Robles...12 nights there

Any not miss attractions?

Thank you
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 06:29 AM

Well, there is Hearst Castle which has some fabulous artwork and views of the Pacific just 15 minutes north. 35 minutes south is San Luis Obispo has been dubbed the happiest place in America", and has a lively downtown, old mission and great farmers market (esp. Thursday evenings).
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 07:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
SLO is a shorter drive (not by that much though) from Paso than from Cambria. Since they have twelve (twelve?? ) nights there and only three nights in Cambria, it would make more sense to visit SLO from Paso Robles and concentrate on San Simeon and/or Morro Bay. from Cambria.

. . . I am a bit curious that you are staying a total of 15 days in two towns so near each other - they are barely 30 miles apart.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 08:32 AM

I live here and cannot fathom anyone spending 16 nights in the area unless it's maybe for work?? OP, please come back and be a little more specific about your plans.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

We are a retired couple who are on the road for 2 months with our dog. We are love good food and wine. We do not need lots of action, relaxation, hiking and enjoying the weather....we live in MN!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

We like sleepy little towns and are familiar with SLO, my niece went to college there. We will spend time there, picking someone up and dropping them off at the airport
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 09:42 AM

Robin's is a fan favorite in Cambria. Other good restaurants that I have tried are Brydge, Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill. Everyone seems to love Linn's so might want to check that out. A good late lunch outing is driving up to Ragged Point and having lunch there. Same with Treebones Resort, about 20 minutes further on Highway 1.

Make sure you check out Hearst Ranch Winery. You can get deli sandwiches, salads and sides at Seaside Foods located inside (and just reopened!) the Sebastian General Store next door. Of course, there's Hearst Castle to explore as well as nearby Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery.

Great scenic hiking at Fiscallini Ranch. Have picnic at Leffingwell Landing on Moonstone Beach. Hike the nearby Harmony Headlands and then explore cute little (population 18) Harmony. There's a winery there as well but I haven't been in quite a long time so cannot attest to the wines. There are several tasting rooms in Cambria and a winery just outside of town called Stolo. Stolo is located on Santa Rosa Creek Road, a fun drive that connects Cambria to Hwy 46 West near Paso Robles.

Nearby tiny Cayucos is a great little beach town. Good restaurants including Hidden Kitchen, Schooner's, Luanda Garden Bistro, and Cafe Della Via. Be sure and drive Old Creek Road from Cayucos to Hwy 46 West near Paso Robles. Beautiful drive and you'll see Whale Rock Reservoir. Of course, not to be missed is driving Hwy 46 West from Hwy 1 to Hwy 101. Stop at the very top for great views all the way to Morro Rock. If you're here now or a few months from now it'll all be green as Ireland. Hwy 46 is aka Green Valley Road.

There are tons (like over 300) wineries in Paso Robles so you'll have time to experience many of them. There are also really great restaurants in Paso so you'll have plenty to eat! Sensorio is pretty cool so be sure and check that out. Some of the wineries I like in Paso are Niner (great food too), Halter Ranch, Tablas Creek, Calcareous, Opolo, Venteux, Caliza, Oso Libre, Paix Sur Terre, Vina Robles, Eberly, Cass, Sculpterra (more for the sculpture garden than the food), Pear Valley, Cass and Villas San Juliette (gorgeous...good food at VSJ and Cass). So many more including lots of smaller, independent wineries. A good place to check some of the smaller guys out is Tin City. A great place to eat there is Lubber's Pizza (check hours) and Etto (yummy!!). I could go on about the wineries all day since we live here and have been to many.

Also check out the wineries in Edna Valley in San Luis Obispo. Completely different weather so different varietals (a lot of Chards and Pinots). The landscape down there is stunning, with the ancient volcanic peaks. Great hiking in SLO as well. Check out Bishop's Peak, Cerro San Luis (known as Madonna Mountain here), and Reservoir Canyon. There's a fairly new hiking trail in nearby Pismo Beach too called Pismo Preserve. I'm not a huge fan of Pismo itself but the nearby Village of Arroyo Grande is fun with shops and restaurants. Look for the roosters roaming town!

Avila Beach is fun too and has several tasting rooms. The Bob Jones trail is popular with walkers and bike riders. I like stopping at Woodstone Marketplace for lunch right along the trail. The pier at Port San Luis in Avila has a small but tasting restaurant called Mersea. If you want to tour a lighthouse, be sure and book a tour at the Port San Luis Lighthouse. You have to book a tour because it is on PG&E property and heavily guarded due to the nuclear power plant. It cannot be seen from land without a tour.

Another good lighthouse tour is Piedras Blancas near the elephant seals.

I'll stop now but could go on forever. Please feel free to ask specific questions. And thank you for clarifying your stay. You picked a great place to spend an extended stay. We thought so as well which is why we've been here for 10 years now!

Not a lot of hiking in Paso but plenty nearby. In Atascadero I would check out Three Bridges Trail. In Morro Bay, check out Black Hill and all the hikes at Montana de Oro State Park (in nearby Los Osos), especially the Bluff Trail and the Point Buchon Trail.. Buchon is not open every day so be sure and check on that. In late Spring it is alive with California Poppies. It is on PG&E property, not the State Park, so entry is limited and you have to sign in before you hike. A great trail!! Also in Los Osos is the Elfin Forest, an easy nature hike along the estuary. Another easy estuary walk is located across from Morro Bay State Park near Bayside Cafe (eat there!).

Last edited by AustinTraveler; Jan 22nd, 2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 12:13 PM

Austin Traveler has given an excellent summary, I second the recommendations for Bayside Cafe, Montana de Oro, Morro Bay and the boardwalk nearby. Also Elfin Forest!

I spend more time along the coast south of Cambria, especially Morro Bay. Friends were just up there, the elephant seals have babies right now.
Include a visit to Pismo Beach Monarch Grove, it's a good butterfly year (assuming you will not have seen them elsewhere).
https://www.experiencepismobeach.com...ch-butterflies

I prefer the SLO wines to Paso, but it's personal taste.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 22nd, 2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

WOW Thank you. So helpful!
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ch4books
WOW Thank you. So helpful!
You’ve gotten a lot of great suggestions! One more, a shout out for the Central Coast’s reputation for olive oil.
On a trip in 2010 my husband and I stayed once again in Paso Robles, this time including a visit to Fandango olive oil farm.
https://www.fandangooliveoil.com. I’d learned about Fandango googling around for award-winning olive oils. Jerry and Carolyn, a delightful couple, welcomed us into their home. We had tastings in their kitchen and Jerry took us into the grove on a little tractor to see how the trees were cultivated. Fast forward to a second trip a few years later. Their farm had prospered and there was now a proper tasting room. I’ve continued to order their olives oils for myself and others.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 02:56 PM

Great suggestion bon-voyage. There are so many olive oil producers in the area now, including many of the wineries.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

great suggestion we will definitely take a trip there.