Feedback requested on Peloponnese itinerary Sept 2024

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I’m seeking feedback on my itinerary for a ~3 week September 2024 trip to the Peloponnese. I have visited Greece twice before, including the Peloponnese once (Nafplio, Monemvasia, Diakopto-Kalavryta). My wife and I enjoy ruins/history, hiking, scenic drives, a little beach time, a little museum time, and exploring villages. We will have a car for our travels. The beginning of the trip will be with a couple friends, so that cannot be changed much.

Proposed itinerary so far:
Sept 3 (1 night in Athens): arrive ATH 16:00. Stay in Athens (near Monastiraki Square).
Sept 4 (1 night in Loutraki): Explore Athens during the day. Take bus to airport to pick up rental car and friends at airport in evening. Drive to Loutraki for overnight.
Sept 5-10 (5 nights in Nafplio): Explore Heraion of Perachora ruins, a beach, maybe Lake Vouliagmeni before departing for Nafplio. Has anyone visited Lake Vouliagmeni? Worth stopping here? Stay in Nafplio. May include Epidavros, kayaking, beach near Ancient Asine. We have seen Nemea, Mycenae, Palamidi Fortress already. Any other must see ideas in or near Nafplio welcome.
Sept 10-13 (3 nights in Dimitsana): Part ways with friends and stay in Dimitsana. Explore Dimitsana, Stemnitsa, Ancient Gortys, hiking in/around the area including Lousios Gorge.
Sept 13-15 (2 nights in Gythio): Explore Mystras for the day on the way to Gythio. Explore around Gythio and perhaps Limeni, Areopoli, Oitylo. In general, we’re excited to spend time exploring the Mani peninsula.
Sept 15-17 (2 nights in Kokkala): Explore deep Mani including Vathia, Porto Kagio, Gerolimenas, Caves of Diros (could do this based from Gythio, Kokkala, or Kardamyli), hike out to the lighthouse at the southernmost tip of the Mani peninsula.
Sept 17-19 (2 nights in Kardamyli): Explore the area include Old Kardamyli, hiking the Viros Gorge. Any feedback on hikes/routes welcome.
Sept 19-23 (4 nights in Pylos or nearby): Stop at Ancient Messene on the drive from Kardamyli to Pylos. Explore Pylos, Methoni, Koroni, Voidokilia Beach, Navarino Bay, hike to Polymnio waterfalls. Any recommendations for specific things to do around this area welcome/or things we don’t need to see.
Sept 23-25 (2 nights in Delphi): The drive from Pylos to Delphi is 5 hours. We don’t mind this and I was trying to avoid stopping halfway and spending just 1 night somewhere. I don’t have a strong desire to see Olympia. We really enjoyed Nemea and will have seen lots of ruins on this trip. While in Delphi, we plan to see the ruins (this will be our 2nd time) and visit Arachova.
Sept 25-26 (1 night near ATH airport): Spend the night close to airport (Artemida - can walk to the beach and tavernas) and drop off car at airport for our early morning flight out.

I appreciate feedback on our itinerary and suggestions on things we should do/see as well. Thank you!!
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 04:11 PM

Got room in the car for one more?

Fabulous plan.

I swam at Vouliagmeni beach (the Med, not the Lake) approximately a century ago. It was so clear. Then.

Not going to dip down to the Temple of Poseidon?

Epidauros and the temple of Asklepion made for an absorbing visit. If I get to return to Greece, I plan to stay a while in Ancient Epidauros on the coast and snorkel the sunken city.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 07:29 AM

You know exactly what you want and don't need any help, IMO.
Just a few remarks:
From Monastiraki, I would reach te aiprort by metro (direct line).
Akrokorinthos is not the most important fortress, but it's along your itinerary.
The cruisader castle of Monemvasia wouldn't be far away from your itinerary. but it's up to you.
If you like sandy beaches, the dune beaches of Elafonissos Island (car ferry from Neapolis) are among the best in the Mediterranean.
I would have a look at Olympia nevertheless. Every place is different.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 08:28 AM

HAve you been to TIRYNS?? It's right there on the highway, between Argos & Nafplio.... what a great stop! Huge boulders (bigger ones than Mycenae), not restored, but wow! No Crowds ever... just wander to top all alone & catch the view. ASINE is also an overlooked gem for me... I found it by hopping off a bus (flag stop). AND its tiny beach (also called Kastraki, looks right across at crowdy, touristy Tolo, but very serene... has a small sandy cove and a stony part, and above the latter. a wpmderful family-run taverna... You can change in their little restroom, have a refreshing dip great for a sunset early dinner. Another place tor a quick morning drive, around to West sid of Nafpllio's bay, is LERNA ... its Tile-roofed Ruin is on site of Earliest Bronze Age settlement on Pelops... I think 5000 BC
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 11:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely include a visit to Epidavros.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

FTOttawa - Good point; we probably will stop to see Temple of Poseidon on our last night before we leave Athens. Thanks for reminding me of that site. Epidavros and temple of asklepion is definitely on our list! I did a kayak trip that included snorkeling over the sunken ruins last trip and it was amazing! So amazing we plan on doing it again. The kayak trip took all day so all we had time for at the Epidavros ruins was to run in and see the theater. I'm looking forward to actually getting more time to explore the entire site.

neckervd - Thank you! I'll take the metro as it seems the fastest option as well. I'm still trying to decide on whether we'll stop at akrocorinth. I think I'll leave this as a "maybe" on our itinerary depending on time. I'll be passing it twice so perhaps I'll actually stop there this time. I stayed in Monemvasia last trip otherwise that would have been on my itinerary this trip. I absolutely loved it! Thanks for the suggestion on Elafonissos island. I just looked up some info and it seems like it would be an easy car trip from Gythio then ferry from near Neapolis. Do you think this would be worth a half day visit?

travelerjan - I haven't been to Tiryns. It is so close to Nafplio, I'll definitely have to stop by and see some big cyclopean walls! We stopped at Asine and spent half a day at that beach on my last trip (probably had it on my list from seeing a similar recommendation from you!) and we absolutely loved it. We will be returning and sharing it with our friends this time, and I can't wait! Thanks for the suggestion on Lerna. That wasn't on my radar, so I'll add it to my list.

HappyTrvlr - Epidavros is definitely on my "must see" list!
Old May 25th, 2024, 03:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Tiryns is so easy to add to your itinerary and takes little time.We enjoyed seeing it.
Old May 26th, 2024, 01:21 AM

Simos B each (Elafonissos) is one of he best dune beaches of the Mediterranean. But nothing else. It's really up to you whether you swant to visit it.