Tropical Storm Watch San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2023, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the first time ever, a Tropical Storm watch has been issued for San Diego and Orange counties, and Catalina Island, in Southern California. This is due to Hurricane Hilary, currently a Cat 4 storm, in the Eastern Pacific off the coast of Mexico. A flood watch was also issued for Sunday and Monday. Between 2 and 4 inches of rain is forecast for coastal areas and more in the mountains and deserts.

The Padres v Diamondbacks baseball game on Sunday will be affected by this. Probably also the Padres v Marlins game on Monday night. The teams are discussing alternatives now.

Do not ignore signs on roads saying the road is closed. Do not, ever, drive into water covering a road, especially if it's moving fast. You don't know how deep it is and it doesn't have to be very deep, or moving very fast, to sweep you and your vehicle away. Stay safe, don't become a statistic.
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 11:26 AM
P_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoCal friends, listen to Barbara!! I helped with evacuation and relief efforts during and just after Hurricane Ike. If you're told to evacuate then DO IT!! So many people refused, then they called for help in the middle of the storm. Sadly there's very little anyone can do to help you in the midst of a hurricane. Listen to warnings and don't presume you'll be OK if you refuse to follow instructions.

Wishing you all the best.
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

The Padres, Angels and Dodgers have rescheduled their Sunday afternoon games to Saturday afternoon because of the expected rain from Hurricane Hilary. They'll be playing doubleheaders now on Saturday.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Upgraded to TS Warning last night. Huge amounts of rain are being forecast for the entire Southern California area..

Death Valley NP is closed. Mojave Desert National Preserve is closed.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 11:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a friend who splits time between her house just south of Ensenada and another in Murietta -- she's going to be hit twice and the beach house is particularly vulnerable being right on the sea wall. Last true hurricane to hit SoCal was 84 years ago (long before warning systems or storm names) so we really never even think of such a possibility.

Stay safe everyone
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

It is bizarre to read that Hurricane Hilary is 535 miles SSE of San Diego, CA.

Rain will begin in a few hours. Catastrophic flooding is in our future. I hope everyone is prepared. Luckily, we're mostly prepared because of the possibility of earthquakes, but this is different. The track has shifted very slightly to the west.

Stay safe everyone.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 09:45 AM

Looks like San Diego and Las Vegas will get heavy rains and high winds Could cause flooding. Maybe some mudslides in the mts. Beaches are closed. Where I am there is a Super Heat Wave--it was 110 F and humid yesterday.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 01:45 PM

really did not need that earthquake three minutes ago.
am already on edge, waiting for the power to go out any minute
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tropical storm and earthquake in Los Angeles, all in one day. My dogs are not happy.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 03:10 PM

Earthquake was a 5.1 centered in Ojai. Our neighbors in Santa Barbara (we’re up in the Bay Area having a bright sunny day) said they ran out of their house. Crazy day.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

The earthquake and many aftershocks are in Ojai, north of LA. Didn't feel it at all down here!

There was a tornado warning for near Alpine in San Diego County.

Flooding in mane desert communities. I-10 in Palm Springs has some flooding. Do not drive through flooded areas.

The storm is still 100 miles south of San Diego.

CBS8 in San Diego has ongoing coverage. You can get it on Roku at CBS8+
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

All City of San Diego attractions are closed today and tomorrow. Beaches, libraries, parks. The Zoo and the Safari Park are closed. Sea World is closed. Many restaurants are closed, especially near the beaches.

SDSU will have remote classes tomorrow, the first day of their semester.

San Diego Unified School District will not have classes tomorrow, their first day back to school. Teachers and staff will be checking classrooms to make sure they are safe.

Poway Unified will have classes.

I posted some other info which is in limbo.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 07:14 PM

Pretty much of a non event here in Long Beach. I guess the bigger impact will be in the deserts where there will be flash flooding and some road closures.

We went out this morning for a few hours and it was nice, went back home when it looked like the urban street flooding was about to start. A lot of serious birders staked out the inland lakes and some of the piers for hurricane assisted rarities. The best sightings were at Otay Lake, Lake Henshaw and around Yuma. We didn't see anything too special in Long Beach but a lot

Elegant Terns were sheltering up inside Long Beach Harbor.

RAIN BIRDING
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 05:54 AM

spectacular picture!!!! Looks like a painting!
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 08:41 AM

In Manhattan Beach, it rained all day. Not heavy, thankfully no flooding, so nothing worse than our rain last winter. Desert communities were clobbered.

My bird watching was limited to the hummingbirds outside my kitchen window. Three sat on branches near the feeders and fluffed their feathers in the rain.