5 nights in Dordogne...our plan.

Old May 23rd, 2023, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 nights in Dordogne...our plan.

Hi !
we (2 adults and 2 11 -15 years old kids) will be in Dordogne from july 26 to 31. We will have an Airbnb just outside Sarlat.
We have put on paper an itinerary that can be change after we have read your ideas :
July 26) leave from Puy du Fou, stop in Oradour sur Glane, get our Airbnb and have a dinner in Sarlat.

July 27) see some châteaux (Domme, Betancourt and Castelnaud) . Still have to decide which ones and if we do à canoë ride

July 28) Rocamadour and Gouffre Padirac

July 29) les Eyzies and maybe Pech Merle if we can get tickets

July 30) Pech Merle and Saint cirq Lapopie

July 31) leave !

We have a pool in our Airbnb that we would like to use too !

Thanks !
Old May 23rd, 2023, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry there's some errors in my post:
1) In Les Eyzies it's Font de Gaume not Perch Merle
2) The Castle is Beynac not Betancourt (damn autocorrect!)
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:59 PM

You may not be interested but I recommend visiting the prehistoric cave paintings at Lascaux. There are other, similar attractions too. Also, La Roque St. Christophe, again if you're interested.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:19 PM

My husband and daughter loved floating the Dordogne a few hours by rental canoe, starting somewhere around Beynac-et-Cazenac.

Lascaux II recommended too, of course.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:36 PM

We loved Gouffre Padirac! So much fun and so impressive. I am sure you and your family will love it. Peche Merle is fascinating!

If you have the time, you might like Grotte de Rouffignac where you take a train through the cave and can see original cave drawings, domes on the ceilings and hundreds of bear nests. Or La Rogue-St.Christophe or Marqueyssac Gardens.

We did a Dordogne River cruise on a river barge with Gabarres Norbert. Spectacular scenery with cliffs and castles.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichGuy
You may not be interested but I recommend visiting the prehistoric cave paintings at Lascaux. There are other, similar attractions too. Also, La Roque St. Christophe, again if you're interested.
We have put two caves (Pech Merle and Font de Gaume) in our plan because those things are of interest to us. Lascaux is less of interest because it's a replica.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
We loved Gouffre Padirac! So much fun and so impressive. I am sure you and your family will love it. Peche Merle is fascinating!

If you have the time, you might like Grotte de Rouffignac where you take a train through the cave and can see original cave drawings, domes on the ceilings and hundreds of bear nests. Or La Rogue-St.Christophe or Marqueyssac Gardens.

We did a Dordogne River cruise on a river barge with Gabarres Norbert. Spectacular scenery with cliffs and castles.
We have read that Rouffignac paintings are not very impressive, but we will think about it. Thanks for the answer !
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:29 AM

tostaky, We fell in love with Font de Gaume and were very moved by it. And the fact that it’s in its original state is incredible. Still, we were surprisingly moved by Lascaux (before the newest incarnation) despite it being a copy. It’s well done and worth the visit.
Old May 26th, 2023, 02:29 PM

I am following this & hoping you will post a trip report. A group of 8 friends and I are planning a France trip in late May of next year. We especially want to see the Lascaux cave so our only "outside Paris" overnight expedition will be to this area. We are working with a travel agent who has recommended spending 2-3 nights in Bordeaux (we'll travel from Paris to Bordeaux via train and then travel agent will arrange for a private tour guide to take us to Sarlat for a stop at Rouffignac and then to Montignac for viewing the reproduction of the Lascaux Cave.

Old May 26th, 2023, 03:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Dordogne was one of our favorite vacations in France.
Stayed in an apt. In Sarlat.
So many great restaurants in Sarlat. Our favorite was Chez Gaulois. Had to go back for a second night.

We we’re not impressed with Gouffre de Padriac at all, way too crowded, too many people stuffed in a shallow boat. Even though the cave itself was impressive, we couldn’t wait to get out of there.

OTOH, Font de Gaume was fantastic. My husband called it a life changing experience. When we were there they only let in groups of 10 for 1/2 hr. each and only 10 of those groups a day
(100 people a day total).

Marqueyssac Gardens was also a big hit. Gigantic place to climb through the gorgeous greenery and take in views of the
river.

Enjoy every minute of that wonderful part of France.
Please write a trip report when you return.
Old May 26th, 2023, 03:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
After we visited Font de Gaume (don't write on the bison), we had a lovely picnic at Saint-Léon-sur-Vézère along the river, and then visited La Roque St. Christophe, which we also enjoyed. Pretty part of the world. Here is our day there back when my hair wasn't gray.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...on-that-bison/
Old May 26th, 2023, 06:09 PM

Hi tostaky
This leg of your 37 night trip to France is similar to one of my trips to France where I took my son, his wife,
and their two kids ages 8 and 13.
We also had a gite just outside Sarlat with a pool.
https://www.vrbo.com/74875ha?preferl...true&vgdc=HAUS

Our itinerary was one night in Rocamador and 7 nights at the gite near Sarlat.
Your itinerary 5 nights (4 days) with no Dordogne activity on July 26 or July 31.

My must sees for Caves for art are Grotte de Font-de-Gaume, Grotte de Pech-Merle, and Lascaux IV
Even though your itinerary is less than ours I suggest adding Lascaux IV
While it doesn't offer the excitement of the real thing, the reprodution is still breathtaking.
Lascaux IV is the result of several years painstaking work by many artists and sculptors using the
same methods and materials as the original Cro-Magnon artists 17,000 years ago.You see what these prehistoric people saw 17,000 years ago.

Gouffre de Padirac is a must see for kids. Buy your tickets on line.

Another must see is La Roque-St-Christophe.

Three castles I recommend are:

Chateau de Castelnaud for it's museum of medieval warfare( Go early in the morning as it gets very crowded).

Chateau des Milandes for it's tribute to a great lady-Josephine Baker, Birds of prey display show at 11:15AM, 2:30PM, 4PM, and 5:30 PM
(Highlite of the bird show for us that our 8 year old was selected to have the hawk land on his arm.) good spot for lunch

Chateau deBeynac for restoration, history, and views that steal the show, from the top of the keep,
where you get a stupendous sweep over the surrounding chateaux:Marqueyssac, Fayac and Castelnaud
Note that its a steep 15 min climb from the village. You are better off driving to the top parking lot.
Have dinner in Beynac (Cafe des Remparts or Le Petite Tonnelle).

You need to take some time to explore towns and villages, some of which you mentioned in your proposed plan.
A walking tour of Sarlat is a must.Saturday Sarlat market may interest you.

Domme can be visited in the early evening and for dinner. Domme is a 20 min drive from Sarlat.
Great views from the Esplanade du Belvedere at the towns northern edge, you look out over a wide area of river country
encompassing everything from Beynac to Cingle Monfort. Have dinner ar the cliffs edge aat either the up scale Hotel Esplanade or the out door pizza place next door.

La Roque-Gageac, 5km from Beynac, listed as one of les plus beaux villages de France,
the place where everyone congregates after visiting the castles or paddling a canoe on the Dordogne.
Here you can take a 1 hour cruise in a gaparre past the castles on this stretch of the Dordogne-La Roques natural castle ,Beynac, Castelnaud,Milandes and Marqueyssace

Les Eyzies-de-Tayac -No need to visit unless you want to go to the National Museum of Prehistory.
Although we did walk 10 min to the edge of town to have lunch after our visit to Font-de-Gaume.

Carennac, one of the most beautiful villages, may be visited after going to Gouffre de Padirac.We had lunch there.

St-Leon-Sur-Vezere, another most attractive village, can be visited when you are in the Vezere valley visiting Lascaux(14 min) or La Roque St Christophe(4 min)
We had a picnic lunch by the river. There is a food stand by the river.

Comments on your plan:
On arrival day, July 26, I would drop stopping at Oradour sur Glane and put that half day to destinations within Sarlat and surrounds.
I am defining Sarlat and surrounds as any destination within one hours drive from Sarlat.
For your list I would put Rocamador, Gouffre de Padirac, Grotte de-Pech Merle, St-Circ Lapopie outside of Sarlat and surroundings
For July 27, 28, and 29 I would do destinations in Sarlat and surrounds.
July 30 you can do Grotte de-Pech Merle, St-Circ Lapopie.
July 31, which you call leave day you can make stops at Rocamadour and Gouffre de Padirac on your way to Murat.
This new plan has 3-1/2 days for Sarlat and around destinations. Your plan only has 2 days for Sarlat and around destinatins.

https://en.sarlat-tourisme.com/i-pre...oad-brochures/

https://www.sarlat-tourisme.com/app/...oir-2023-1.pdf

https://www.lascaux.fr/fr
Old May 27th, 2023, 12:31 AM

Hi tostaky,

I was in Sarlat just in April, and Lasceaux IV blew me away. I had no idea it would. The colors are so vivid -- you're seeing it just as the artists and folks at that time would have seen it.

And after the cave presentation, the interactive displays were amazing. You can focus on one single set of paintings at a time, and it will show the stages of development/painting in motion. Soooo thrilling.

Going back to Lasceaux IV is one big reason why I want to return.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Old May 27th, 2023, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dugi_otok cited the big hits from our two or 3 visits to the Sarlat area
One visit we stayed at a B&B on a goose farm (with nice dining area) where we watched the feeding, as a prep to fois gras
Old May 27th, 2023, 06:50 AM

There's more in the area than you have time to do, so do not worry about finding activities!

We visited the Dordogne several times, and Font de Gaume several times, before deciding to visit the Lascaux reproduction. I agree that it was amazing, even though a reproduction. I am grateful that they are preserving the real thing by not allowing us random tourists in..

La Roque Saint Christophe doesn't get as much press, but we and our kids found it very interesting and educational. Also the Chateau de Commarque, which is a more recent structure built over an older settlement. And the Chateau de Puymartin, which is more fixed up and has a legendary ghost.

Beynac is fun, because of the displays. Gouffre Padirac, it was fun, and our kid loved it, and in fact was the person who chose to go there. Rocamadour is an impressive site to see from a distance, but the town itself we did not find interesting and it tends to be full of tourists (I think it's a popular tour bus stop). If you are a devout Catholic, you may feel otherwise.

We didn't do any of the boat rides or canoeing because we can do those things at home (there are no castles, caves or prehistoric sites near our home); obviously a personal choice!
Old May 27th, 2023, 07:03 AM

Sorry, Dugi, but I must disagree with your suggestion that the OP skip Oradour on the way to to the Dordogne. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Dordogne and the neighboring Lot, and I loved every second, but for me, Oradour was the life-changing place. Visiting it and walking its streets, past the burned houses and shops and seeing the debris of people's lives, is a profound experience, and I dare anyone to come away without a pain in the heart and searing memories. Yes, it takes time away from Sarlat, but it is unforgettable and unique. I can still see the faces of the teenagers we passed, stunned and horrified by the sight of something they had not until that moment truly understood. Unless you have a personal connection to the war that has brought you to a deep personal understanding of what happened, you are unlikely to have truly felt in a visceral way the horror that Oradour reveals. The war in Ukraine has awakened once again our awareness of the barbarity of which people are capable; Oradour reinforces that point.
Old May 27th, 2023, 11:33 AM

Hi frenchaucoeur
I accept how you describe Oradour. I am essentially asking tostaky to consider trading Oradour a place that you describe as bringing stunned and horrified looking faces to teenagers, unforgettable, leaving a pain in your heart, for Lascaux IV a place that some describe as amazing, blew me away,soooo thrilling. What pre-teen kid needs Oradour?
That plus I doubt that the tostaky family has the time required to visit Oradour and soak it all in and still get to their airbnb to check-in.
Old May 28th, 2023, 04:54 AM

Perhaps you are rigiht, Dugi. My daughter was 15 when she went with us to Oradour, and she has always been glad (does that sound perverse?) that she saw it. I think kids take in these things at the level they can understand it and that it's important that we bear witness and understand what people are capable of. It doesn't mean you dwell on it every day and ruminate or are scarred permanently by it, but I do think it's important to understand what Oradour teaches us, esp as WW II recedes in our collecdtive memories. I love the Dordogne and the phenomenal sights it offers, but that's a different experience.
Old May 28th, 2023, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone and many thanks for all your answers ! Special thanks to dugi_otok for those many tips and avices !

I will make some comments and maybe add questions !

1) About Oradour. Of course it`s not for everyone but since I do teach history for living I cant pass beside it. We wont be there for long (I guess) but we have to make a stop there. My wife and I have been to Auschwitz, Berlin, Nuremberg and we will see some WW2 sight in Normandy this summer so many chances Oradour will stay on our list.

2) Of course travelling is always of making some choices. The ide of stopping in Padirac and see Rocamadour from a distance while we are going to Murat is not a bad idea, but we also have to make a top at Puy Mary and Salers was on our list. I guess that Sarlat-Rocamadour (drom distance)- Padirac-Salers-Puy Mary-Murat would be too much in one day. Murat is only a stop for the night not a must see on our list.

3) We Still have to chose which cave. For now there's still spot at Pech Merle, Font de Gaume is not open for july yet and still not convince about Lascaux.

4) I'm not much into garden but Marqueyssac garden seems to be a must for many so I guess we will add it to our list.

5) Since we will be very near Sarlat we dont think we will go there fore a full day. Maybe we could be there for a dinner and have a nice evenig stroll after a good dinner (day of arrival maybe ?)

6) How must see are now: La Rocque St-Cristophe, Gouffre du Padirac, La Roque Gageac, Gouffre du Padirac, Maqueyssac Garden and Sarlat

7) Still have to decide wat to do about: Caves (Peche merle, Font de gaume or Lascaux), Castle (Beynac or Castelnaud), Rocamadour (see it or not). Domme (Some says it's not worth it) and which small villages we would chose.
Old May 28th, 2023, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FOWBT (that's crypto for, from one who's been there):

Domme was nice; went one time, saw nothing of interest; went another time, stayed overnight at a very nice B&B. but nothing in town resonated; drove thru it a 3rd time. Have NO memories of it

In my mind Peche Merle is a close second to Lascaux. Other caves, though I've not seen them in France, would be "meh"

My memory of Rocamadour is only of the vision of the cliff the town is on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -