Texas Eclipse long weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2023, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the April 8 Texas eclipse and some "clean up" bucket list items for Texas.

Is this reasonable:

Friday. Fly into DFW, spend night.
Saturday: See something in DFW, book depository museum or stockyards, drive to Alpine, TX, spend night (no Big Bend Lodging available)
Sunday. Drive to Big Bend NP, do a couple hikes, spend night in park
Monday: Leave Big Bend (Chisos Mtn Lodge) for Bracketville TX for eclipse @ 1:30 pm, drive to Austin to spend night. Chisos Mtn Lodge to Bracketville is 300 miles, mostly on US 90
Tuesday: Fly home
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 06:45 AM

If you are going to do this make any reservations now, especially for the Park if that is possible. My experience with the last eclipse is that traffic will be bad in the areas that are ideal.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 07:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I looked at the map for totality. Any chance you could make it to Kerrville or Fredericksburg by eclipse time? Fredericksburg has the museum of the Pacific War and Chester Nimitz's boyhood home.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Not really interested in adding things to a whirlwind weekend with 2 long driving segments. I’d decided after my second visit to Texas that it is pretty ordinary America (with more guns) and not worth the expense of a third trip for me since it’s pretty far. But with regret that I had never visited Big Bend and the Book Depository Museum.

Also trying to stay on the unpopulated side of the path to minimize pre-eclipse traffic. I learned from last time (in Nebraska) that afterwards it’s a traffic mess even in the middle of nowhere.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A few weeks ago I booked Big Bend for after the eclipse. If they are still available could you change the order if your trip, go to Big Bend after the eclipse?

Also, how about open jaw flight arrive DFW depart Midland, if possible? Maybe worth it to trade a long drive back east for more time in Big Bend, Terlingua, or Marfa?
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

If they are still available could you change the order if your trip, go to Big Bend after the eclipse
Not really, spouse is a teacher and this is too late for spring break.

I'm trying to use Avios and VA points, and I think I need nonstop flights for that. I'll check. I am saving my AA miles for a Peru trip.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 04:04 AM

Excerpt from big article in WaPo today
Peak viewing in Dallas, Cleveland and BuffaloPlaces in the path of totality, where the shadow of the moon covers the sun completely, are already gearing up, launching tourist-focused websites with countdown clocks, planning events, ordering supplies and selling their hotel rooms far in advance. NASA has already identified Kerrville in Texas Hill Country, Indianapolis and Cleveland as partner locations where the agency will have live broadcasts and experts in place.

Just made my reservations in my hometown in Ohio--near Dayton. Prices are up!! I used Booking.com and can pay at the property and cancel up to just days before.

Last edited by Gretchen; Apr 29th, 2023 at 04:49 AM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Surprising that I was able to book this without any trouble, into Dallas nonstop using avios and home from San Antonio on Delta nonstop with our last Virgin Atlantic points. For some reason one way rental Dallas to San Antonio is pretty cheap, just over $300, for the 4-day eclipse weekend. Even seat upgrades are cheaper than I've ever seen. Kind of a surprise. Only hitch is I'm not finding hotel points redemptions in Dallas or San Antonio, but the cash prices are reasonable.