Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best travel locations for first time solo travelor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2023, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone! I am 18, turning 19 this August. I want to start solo traveling as there is a lot I would like to experience. I have experience with traveling to Mexico, but I want to get out of my comfort zone and experience new locations. What travel destinations would you recommend?

Last edited by jessanchez; Apr 13th, 2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 01:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
New locations in Mexico? If so, where have you been? If not Mexico or Central America, maybe "travel tips" would be a better place to ask.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

I have been to Oaxaca. I actually study there during 6th grade and go there often for holidays as a lot of my family lives there. I've also been to Jalisco and Huatulco. Any places you would recommend?
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 07:22 PM

Jess, I mostly know Mexico. What time of year? What are your interests? Colonial cities? Ruins? Nature? Budget? Time frame/length of trip? Adventure? Some or all of that? Are you OK, as a solo traveler, to mix in some group stuff? Which would be a good way to meet other travelers.
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

I plan to travel around months such as June-Octerber. I have a lot of interests such as hiking, swimming, anything envolving the outdoors. When I travel around Mexico, I tend to spend a from 1-3 months. I work throughout the year to send myself money through bancoppel. I am most definitely open to group activities with fellow solo travelers. My main goal is to see new locations and try different cuisine.
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 08:04 PM

Well, for starters, June - October is the rainy season. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on where you end up. I'm going to suggest some rough itineraries that you can research.
San Luis Potosi, the city & the Huasteca Potosina. In the latter, you can join tours from Cd Valles to see waterfalls in the area. Real De Catorce too.
Queretaro, the city & the Sierra Gorda. From Pinal de Amoles, you can get tours to see the sites there.
Hidalgo state. Hot springs of Tolantongo & Chico National Park near Mineral Del Chico.
Veracruz. Easy to see many places of interest. Start in Puebla, then make a loop including Orizaba, Córdoba, Veracruz, Xalapa, Coatepec, Xico, Xalapa & Tlaxcala in Tlaxcala state. Then return to Puebla.

​​​​
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

I research the places you mentioned and they are beautiful. I have actually been to Hidalgo and Veracruz during the christmas holiday with family. As for food, do you have any recommendations for good restraurant?
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 07:48 PM

"As for food, do you have any recommendations for good restraurant?"
Any city in particular?
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 01:14 AM

Hi jessanchez

I'm feeling so happy about your decision to start your first solo travel adventure! There are so many amazing destinations out there to choose from for those who enjoy outdoor activities and adventures.

Japan, New Zealand, Canada, and parts of Europe such as Iceland or Scandinavia are some good solo trip options you can start from, which are relatively safe for solo travelers and easy to navigate. These countries are excellent for the outdoor activities like hiking, skiing, and surfing.

Consider traveling to countries like Southeast Asia, South America, or Africa for a more adventurous experience. These regions are rich with natural beauty, diverse cultures, and also great for outdoor activities like jungle trekking, scuba diving, snorkeling, island hopping, hiking, climbing, rafting, and kayaking that you won't find anywhere else in the world.

Whatever you decide, remember to stay open-minded, be aware of your surroundings, and enjoy every moment of your adventure!

Last edited by IvyOliver; Apr 19th, 2023 at 01:30 AM.