Search

State Fair USA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
State Fair USA

I live in England and am a regular attendee of the countryside fairs we have over here. Typically, these run over 2 or 3 days with the main activities being the livestock shows. As a part of the fair, there are also agricultural machinery exhibitions, a funfair (carnival), countryside related market stalls, classic car exhibitions, food areas and lots of activities such as clay pigeon shooting, parachute displays, falconry, historical re-enactments etc. etc.
I have always wanted to go to a State Fair in the USA where I would hope to see an event on a much bigger scale than we have here in the UK. For example, I would love to go to a rodeo as well as seeing general cowboy type activity. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to which US State Fairs I should consider, not necessarily the biggest, just ones with a wide range of activities and a good reputation?
I have found myself looking at the Wyoming State Fair, because that seems to be pretty much in the centre of rural America. It would also be convenient because I can fly to Denver direct from London, after which it's a 3 hour drive north to Douglas, where the fair is being held - the event itself might be a bit small though. The Texas State Fair looks huge, but it runs for a month and I am concerned that the excitement and atmosphere might be a bit diluted by continuing over such a long period of time.
Any suggestions and advice for the 2023 fairs would be very welcome.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Look at the Mid State Fair in Paso Robles, CA. Also the California Rodeo in Salinas, CA

https://www.carodeo.com/events/2023/...eo-salinas2023
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 09:44 AM

The Wyoming State Fair in Douglas has a rodeo and the town is only five hours from Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park. The Teton mts. are some of the most awe-inspiring in North America and Yellowstone is a premiere national park.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 10:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
How many days would you be able to set aside for this trip? I do have an idea that might appeal, but it would require at least 10 days to accomplish. Can we also assume that you'd like to mix some sightseeing with the fair? And would it be this year or next (or sometime farther in the future?)

Virtually all the state fairs in the west feature rodeos; the Colorado fair seems to place some emphasis on rodeo activities, but they're also on the menu in New Mexico, Washington State, California, Arizona, and most other fairs.

But here's what I was thinking: The Oregon State Fair, which is held in the state capital of Salem (around an hour south of Portland) takes place over the week before and including Labor Day, this year 25 August - 4 September. (Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a national holiday, generally regarded as the end of summer. Many state fairs take place around the same time.) While the Oregon fair is far from the biggest, it's not a bad one at all; it has the usual state fair bits, not unlike the country fairs in the UK - agricultural exhibits, livestock judging, an amusement park, musical shows, etc.

But here's the idea. The following week, 9-16 September, is when the Pendleton (Oregon) Round-Up takes place. This is one of the preeminent rodeos in North America, up there with the Calgary Stampede in terms of reputation and popularity. It's held in Pendleton, around 3 hours east of Portland, and features a big Native American encampment in addition to the rodeo, parades, etc. PENDLETON ROUND-UP (pendletonroundup.com)

So what if you flew into Portland, visited the fair in Salem, then took a few days to road trip around Oregon (or Washington) before ending in Pendleton for the Round-Up? Now I have no idea whatsoever if this thought appeals, and we don't know the extent (if any) of your prior travels in the US or the west, but just in case, google the places on this map to show some of the possibilities for touring between the events. https://goo.gl/maps/Wztow8ptL5dVKkNH6

This loop would include the Columbia River Gorge with its vista points and waterfalls, iconic Timberline Lodge on the side of Mount Hood (where parts of The Shining were filmed) and then a loop through central and eastern Oregon. This loop would include amazing Smith Rock State Park, the painted hills section of John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, and one of the most scenic (and relatively little-known) parts of the entire American west, the Wallowa Valley and Wallowa mountains in northeastern Oregon.

(Not my pictures)

Anyway, just a thought to throw out there.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Apr 11th, 2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 12:17 PM

As far as California, I would recommend the Mid-State Fair ahead of the California State Fair. The Mid-State Fair and Salinas Rodeo overlap a bit this year. They are only a few hours apart, it could be a handy trip and include some of the best parts of the Central California Coast.

https://www.midstatefair.com/fair/
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 03:32 PM

I am sure these western fairs are fine but to see a "real" state fair you should look to a Central/Midwest location. The Minnesota state Fair runs 12 days and gets over 2 million attendees. There will normally be no rodeo component (which isn't to my thinking a part of a state fair). You could attend without renting a car for the trip. The Minnesota state fair is about a 30 minute city bus ride from MSP airport which has daily nonstops from London.

https://www.mnstatefair.org/

You will find livestock shows and carnival rides and enormous machinery and a tremendous amount of eating. There will be many large people.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 04:23 PM
J62

You could also look at county fairs in places all across the country. They are smaller scale but still have many of the same elements of a larger state fair. Since the crowds are local you won't have the issues with finding logding, parking long distances away, or huge crowds.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by tom_mn
I am sure these western fairs are fine but to see a "real" state fair you should look to a Central/Midwest location. The Minnesota state Fair runs 12 days and gets over 2 million attendees. There will normally be no rodeo component (which isn't to my thinking a part of a state fair). You could attend without renting a car for the trip. The Minnesota state fair is about a 30 minute city bus ride from MSP airport which has daily nonstops from London.

https://www.mnstatefair.org/

You will find livestock shows and carnival rides and enormous machinery and a tremendous amount of eating. There will be many large people.

Our western fairs are “real”. Not all of California is like LA or the Bay Area. Still rural, small town in the rest of the State.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"The Texas State Fair looks huge, but it runs for a month and I am concerned that the excitement and atmosphere might be a bit diluted by continuing over such a long period of time."

Not at all - I've only been once but it was amazing. It runs for 23 or 24 days and is a big BIG deal. Another one I enjoyed is the Iowa State Fair - Texas draws about 2.5 million visitors, Iowa about half that (but over a shorter period so maybe close to the same daily attendance).

I'm from northern California and our state fair is local (about a 15 minute drive from my front door) and I seldom bother attending (It was great decades ago before the fairgrounds was moved and 'modernized' into blah. As MichelleY says, the Mid-State is much more fun as are quite a few of our country fairs - but they are typically smaller and only run for a few days.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

My thanks to everyone for the extremely helpful replies and suggestions - we'll now be mulling over our options and deciding where we are going to go.

On this visit, the two of us (me and my wife Annie) are only going to be in the US for about 5 days so we'll need to plan our days carefully and book our hotel/B&B well beforehand. I'm sure we'll have an enjoyable time, wherever we decide upon.
Thanks again

Simon
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 06:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
With such a short time in the States I'd maybe concentrate on either the Texas or Minnesota State Fairs. The Texas SF is in Dallas and DFW is a major international hub. The Minnesota fair grounds is less than 10 miles from MSP - another major airport. Visiting either fair would make traveling from the UK and making connections to other places very easy/convenient.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 05:36 PM

Welcome Simon and Annie. Here's a link for the Maryland State Fair. There are activities year-round at this facility:
https://www.marylandstatefair.com/fa...ate/2023/04/30

Also in Maryland, Queen Anne County:
https://www.qacfair.com/

There used be a non-stop flight from London to Baltimore's Thurgood Marshall. About an hour to the Baltimore venue and 1.5 to QA in Centreville. With only 5 days, you could see them both. I wish you had longer as the rodeos and parks invite.
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Texas is THE state fair. We have only missed 2 years out of the last 35. (One was the Covid year.)
The last few years they have had a rodeo just about every day. Don't know about this year.
An added bonus is that Fair Park is full of amazing art deco buildings.

My daughter has been to the MN state fair. She said TX is better but enjoyed the myriad international food offerings at the MN state fair. (That one is on my bucket list.)
Old May 30th, 2023, 11:28 AM

Simon, if you decide to go to the State Fair of Texas, let me know and I will provide a detailed itinerary and some food recommendations.
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For an authentic midwestern state fair, head to Minnesota. The fair takes place between Minneapolis and St.Paul in late August, early September. “Everything on a stick” and more, so much fun!