Search

Tours from Belize City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2023, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tours from Belize City

I'm traveling solo in Belize after a group trip in May and want to see the ruins at Xunantunich. I found tours from Belize City and from San Ignacio. Unfortunately, I don't have many days in the country because I have to get back to work. Are the tours from Belize City too quick, as in "here it is, get out of the bus, be back in 30 minutes." What about the ones that visit a site called the Inland Blue Hole in addition to Xunantunich all in one day? Too much?
If it helps your resonse, I'll be flying into Belize City and then flying to Placentia for my group trip, which starts and ends in Placentia. I'll be traveling solo after I return to Placentia.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 05:30 PM

It's a good 2 to 2.5 hours one way from Belize City to Xunantunich. Whatever the total length of the tour, you'll spend 4 to 5 hours in the tour van.

Pssst. It's "Placencia," no T.

Old Mar 8th, 2023, 10:11 AM

Hi Islandgirl2,

I don‘t know about the trip to Xunantunich but I did a tour out of Belize City from the Radisson to Altun Ha and the Baboon Sanctuary. These are much closer to Belize City, so I didn’t feel rushed or exhausted at the end of the day. Maybe worth considering if you want something more manageable and less harried. While Altun Ha (of Belikin beer label fame) might not be as architecturally imposing as a Palenque or an artistic capital of the Classical Mayan world like Copán, it was nonetheless a fascinating glimpse into a forgotten world—truly an eye-opening visit with some gorgeous jade artefacts and remarkable pyramidal structures. The Baboon Sanctuary is different and I stumbled on it because it was coupled with the Altun Ha visit; loved the howler monkeys (locally referred to as baboons) and the tour was exceptional, with insightful knowledge on the flora and fauna of the area. Between the two sites, we had lunch at a roadside restaurant that looked unremarkable but was absolute heaven in terms of the meal I had—so flavourful!

Best wishes. Daniel
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Lots to consider. Thanks, too, for the spelling nudge. I definitely want to head to Placencia and not Placentia!
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Great adive, Daniel. I like your idea of not being locked into just one adventure. I'll look into these options.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by island_girl2
Thanks! Lots to consider. Thanks, too, for the spelling nudge. I definitely want to head to Placencia and not Placentia!
I thought you'd want to know. On one visit there, I was talking to some people I'd met at breakfast. They kept telling me "We really like it here in Placenta."

I think you'll enjoy Placencia too. It's a cool little place.