Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Can a U.S permanent resident driving feom Cancun to Belize City, Belize?
Notices

Can a U.S permanent resident driving feom Cancun to Belize City, Belize?

Jul 16th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Can a U.S permanent resident driving feom Cancun to Belize City, Belize?

My husband is a U.S permanent resident (Green Card holder) of a Kazakhstan citizen. We plan to fly to Cancun, Mexico, rent a car and drive down to Belize City (spending only a day or two in Belize) then back to Mexico and move on... so i've gathered conflicting stories. Some say, he needs his passport (valid over 6 months) and and his green card, while some say he needs a completed visa application. I'm confused. Could some of you please shed some lights on this?
Thanks in advance
Note: We're renting from America Rental Car and I know they do allow border crossing.

Sami.
Jul 16th, 2017, 07:06 PM

See: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...anent-resident

And: https://www.path2usa.com/countries-t...n-card-holders

In general his green card only allows him to live in and return to the US, and other countries are only interested in his status as a Kazakhstan citizen. However, there seems to be an exception for Mexico and Belize. He should carry his passport as well as his green card, he will need it to reenter the US.

What does "move on" mean?
Jul 17th, 2017, 05:36 AM

Contact the Mexican authorities at the consulate nearest your residence. They replied very promptly by email to my query about my husband's (also from a third country) travel status.

Search this Thread