Search

Guanajuato or Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2022, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guanajuato or Mexico City

My husband and I only have 7 days in Feb. I have not been to either of these destinations. We are looking at two itineraries: Mexico City with a side trip to Puebla or Guanajuato with a side trip to SMA. Where would you choose for culture, food, art, and a most importantly a new worldly experience. (I've only been to Zihuatanejo and Tulum) I've visited Spain's big cities and wonder if Mexico city will feel similar.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
With seven days I'd go with Mexico City and Puebla. Guanajuato is the most beautiful Mexican city I've seen but it is small and does not have the cultural riches of MC. I've not been to San Miguel. Puebla on the other hand would offer a respite from the pace of MC, while still offering excellent food and nearby cultural attractions. Mexico City is a vibrant urban center which attracts people from all over Latin America and beyond. I think it's what you are looking for.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 07:04 AM

For me it would be Mexico City, without any hesitation (but then we are city persons and also "culture vultures"). It is among my favourite cities in the world, rich culture (fantastic museums, history, music, theatre, ...) with amazing food. Does not feel at all like Madrid, you definitely know you are in Latin America and not Europe.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both of you for your responses. You had me at "cultural riches" and "culture vulture". Mexico City it is! I'd welcome any recommendations for an overnight stays in Puebla?
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Mesones Sacristia, Barrio Los Sapos. https://mesones-sacristia.com. This was a quirkily decorated small hotel (as you will see from their website) with an excellent restaurant. The manager was helpful arranging a driver to take us to the churches of Santa María Tonantzintla and San Francisco Acatepec, which feature indigenous art interpreting Catholic beliefs. However, our stay was quite a while back -- check more contemporary reviews.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I would have voted "Guanajuato with a side trip to SMA" but it sounds like you have already decided on DF?
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puebla hotel: we stayed at Casona de la China Poblana,
https://casonadelachinapoblana.mx/

This was in 2015, so several years ago, but it was a very nice hotel.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 01:21 PM

Been to all of those places and Mexico City plus Puebla wins hands down. Loved Guanajuato but totally unimpressed by San Miguel de Allende. Some photos and detail of our time in Guanajuato @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/mexico/ third post. I suppose where Guanajuato score highly is in its scenic appeal and the strolling folk musicians which create a party atmosphere every night!

In Mexico City we stayed at the Stanza hotel a mid range hotel, nothing special but it suited our purpose and the location was excellent for what we wanted to see and do.

In Puebla, like #5 above we stayed at Mesones Sacristia and also at Hotel Boutique Casa de La Palma (mesones didn’t have all of the days we needed), both were excellent.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We've stayed at the Colonial in Puebla as well as Royalty. And another place whose name escapes. But it had a kitchen. Likewise as posted have dined at Mesones Sacristía. Second that. I don't think it would be a great place to stay given the proximity of the rooms to the restaurant area.
Suze said: 'Well I would have voted "Guanajuato with a side trip to SMA" but it sounds like you've already decided on DF?'
Suze also said: 'You feel you do not need to have visited a place know all about it. so feel confident sharing real life experience and observation'
I did not realize you'd been to this part of Mexico. Well done. Must've flown under my radar. I'm curious to hear of your experience and observations of san miguel & Guanajuato. And other areas around here. PS. 'DF' while still on occasion acknowledged as a reference to Mexico City and surrounds, it has officially been known for some years now as CDMX.
PS. I live near San Miguel. I as well would choose CDMX.
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 12:01 PM

I loved both Mexico City and Puebla. I think that is a great choice. I would happily go back to both places, barely scratched the surface.

On crellston's advice I stayed at Boutique Casa de la Palma (for the same reason, availability). The location in the historic center would be great for a first-time visit. Note they do not have an elevator if that matters. Callejon de los Sapos is a charming street. I would look closely at the discussed hotel there, but have no experience with their restaurant nor the hotel.

Nothing in Mexico City reminded me of Madrid that I recall. In CDMX be sure to include a visit to Coyoacan and the Blue House (Frida Kahlo museum) which needs to be ticketed in advance.

Trip reports with a few photos from the month before the world shut down:

Checking in from Puebla

Loving Mexico City

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 17th, 2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 07:11 PM

In Mexico City, I cannot recommend staying at the Red Tree House highly enough. Beautiful rooms, charming area, outstanding staff and the breakfasts were fantastic. A different hot dish every day along with the standards.

An absolute must is the Anthropology Museum. I have been there twice and look forward to going back for a 3rd visit at some point in the near future, Walking around the Centro and visiting the churches is a must. Hopefully the Palacio Nacional on the Zocalo has re-opened to tourists. If so, you must stop in to see the incredible Diego Rivera murals. They are stunning. And free! Finally, the Templo Museo, just off the Zocalo, is also well worth a visit. And if you are a foodie, I highly recommend dining at Pujol. Make your reservations as soon as you can-you can check the website but I’m guessing it opens 3 months in advance. I recommend reserving for the taco omakasse. I’ve dined their twice and loved it both times.

It’s funny you asked about Madrid because Puebla reminded me a bit of Madrid with its stately architecture and all of the wrought iron balconies. I loved it a lot. A must visit is the Uriarte talavera pottery shop. I picked up a beautiful bowl for holding fruit, tomatoes, avocados, etc, They did an excellent job packing it and I hand carried it on the plane home.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 04:48 PM

In Puebla we stayed at the Hotel Santiago, just off the Zocalo; nothing fancy, but centrally located:

https://flic.kr/p/7oHrZp https://flic.kr/p/7oHwN4