Checking in from Puebla

Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking in from Puebla

Took Estrella Roja from CDMX, no traffic. Uber from 4 Poniente station and am now checked into the "Botero Suite" at Hotel Casa de la Palma. Thanks crellston . Lots of character so far so good!
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 09:23 PM

Excellent mlgb! Will be following along. Have a taco and mezcal for me!
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
Excellent mlgb! Will be following along. Have a taco and mezcal for me!
Tacos at Las Ranas accomplished.

Ice cream for dinner.🙂
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 04:34 AM

I liked Las Ranas! There are two, facing each other. One is prettier than the other.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 03:36 PM

Love the energy Puebla, particularly around the Plazuela de Los Sapos. So glad you made it there without a hitch. Enjoy the mole poblano and the chiles en nogada.

Have a great time! Daniel
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Today rode the Turisbus to Cholula, Santa Maria Tonanzintla and San Francisco Acatepec. Ask for senior discount & it worked. Good guide and I felt it was enough time at the two small churches. Unfortunately too hazy to see volcanos.

Ice cream lunch.

El Mural de los Poblanos highly overrated. Dry as dust chicken filling in the enchilada that came with three moles. The dark one was nice but I shouldn't have had to ask for tortillas. Nothing else in the tasting menu was memorable, either. I did like the fresh churros from Puebla La Churreria.

Any better suggestions for mole poblano? I may just try one of the places across from the hotel, Loncheria de Cuchita or Casa del Mondrugo.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

PS did have delicious enchiladas with mole at Restaurant La Ceiba near Palenque.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 07:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We've visited Puebla probably a dozen times or so over the last 15 years. Usually for just 1 or 2 nights on the way to Oaxaca or Veracruz. But we typically go to Mesón Sacrista, except for the last visit when wifey had some dietary restrictions. It was close to our go-to hotel, Hotel Colonial. But their Poblano has never disappointed, nor their sampler plate, which was a bit spicier. But I've also read a couple of TA reviews where they've slipped? I dunno. It's one of those places that we know, and that we know we like, but because of limited time we've not tried other spots. There may very well be better options.
As a PS, a recent article indicated that according to Mexicans, Puebla was considered the most dangerous city in Mexico. I've never felt that way at all. I'll look for the article and post it.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:41 AM

Great mole poblano? I thought the tres moles at la Mexicana, which I just happened upon across the street essentially from the NH Puebla in the Centro, was terrific.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams
Great mole poblano? I thought the tres moles at la Mexicana, which I just happened upon across the street essentially from the NH Puebla in the Centro, was terrific.
Thanks Daniel I have two more nights...
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

This was dinner from Cemitas La Poblanita. They couldn't have been nicer and even take credit cards if you spend 100 MXN. It was enough for three people. And I could tell it was chicken, not beige dust. The roll was super. The regular Cemitas also looked good.

I had to visit La Pasita.

I tried the one at lower right corner. Was warned that it was "a little strong".

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 06:01 AM

Cemitas are huge! Don’t know if they’re exclusively a Puebla thing but I’ve never seen them elsewhere in the country.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 06:51 AM

That is one serous drink! Did you get back to the hotel ok?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
That is one serous drink! Did you get back to the hotel ok?
Much better than after my Pisco Sour experience when I got turned around leaving Plaza Bolivar!

I went to the museum at the ex convent Santa Rosa. Around the corner is El Mesón de Don Pancho. Satisfied with the Mole Poblano and excellent horchata that picks up the spices.

I
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 10:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by baldone
. . . As a PS, a recent article indicated that according to Mexicans, Puebla was considered the most dangerous city in Mexico. I've never felt that way at all. I'll look for the article and post it.
I'd like to know more, baldone. Dangerous how? For locals, certain areas or for everyone everywhere?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Fwiw. And again, I've never considered Puebla unsafe. I also don't give much credence to 'feeling safe/unsafe' as a good barometer of actual safety.
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/73-...ere-they-live/
And this article, in Spanish, gives a graph of where/why Poblanos feel unsafe:
https://www.elsoldepuebla.com.mx/loc...t-4707702.html
Love the pics, mlgb. ˇSe me antoja mole!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
I'd like to know more, baldone. Dangerous how? For locals, certain areas or for everyone everywhere?
I'm curious too. Not anything I had picked up in planning. Or in person.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks, baldone, very interesting. I took note of Merida's standing as it's a place I've often thought about trying on for size. I wonder what the results would be for a similar survey of American cities?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Our guide from Celestun said that Yucatan is considered quite safe (except for the hurricanes). There are some really fancy houses around the north coast.

Today Popo seems to have belched. I briefly felt lightheaded but it could have also been the Tequila ice that the old lady sold me! I wandered up to the Teleferico in time to see the volcano at sunset.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 25th, 2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Wrapping up Puebla, I really enjoyed the time here. I'll remember the amazing colors of the churches and old structures, Museo Amparo prehispanic collection, buildings decorated with talavera and Baroque frosting, the original Talavera tiled kitchen at the ex-convent and the young guide there who did his best to lead me around in English and also suggested Don Pancho (walking part way there), the Saturday artesan market, churros, dulces tipicos, giant Cemitas and finally a good mole poblano (60MXN!).

Now on to Oaxaca tomorrow.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 25th, 2020 at 06:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -