Driving from Monterey to southern Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are planning a drive to southern oregon in july. We need to find a place to stay in the Santa Rose area going up and coming back. We plan to stay in the ferndale area the next night and in gold beach for 2 nights at Tutu un Lodge. Suggestions for a stay in the santa rosa area and around Ferndale would be appreciated. Also restaurants in Ferndale, Gold Beach and Brookings.

thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Look at Windsor or Healdsburg, just a little bit up the road. We have stayed at the Best Western Dry Creek Inn $$ and Hotel Healdsburg $$$$, right on the square.

https://www.sonomacounty.com/sonoma-listings/windsor-hotels-lodging.

Last edited by MichelleY; Apr 11th, 2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 03:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In Ferndale highly recommended: https://gingerbread-mansion.com

Or if that doesn't work -- you could maybe stay in Garberville instead -- here https://benbowinn.com

I love both properties.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 08:27 PM

Hopefully you’re planning to eat at TuTuTun as it has one of the best restaurants in town and reservations are often limited to those staying there. Spinners is very good as is the Port Hole which is casual. Sunset Pizza is pretty good, too.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 06:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you ever wanted to see Crater Lake NP, July would be a good time to do it. Drive north on I-5 and stay in Ashland or Medford and then go to see the lake. Exit through the north entrance and head west on OR 138 to Roseburg then west again on 138 to 38 to the coast and US101 at Reedsport. East of Reedsport you have a good chance of seeing some Roosevelt elk at Dean's Creek viewing area.
I always prefer to drive US101 southbound.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 08:19 AM

Driving through San Francisco:

Whether using CA 1 up the coast or going inland on I280 toward SF, you will have to cross the city using local streets. The easiest way is to stay on the left lane on 280 until you are parallel to the streetcar tracks. At that point stay in the center lane through the city, Golden Gate Park and the Presidio, and it will take you to the Golden Gate Bridge. I suggest the center lane because the left lane is a left turn only in Golden Gate Park, which would take you to a neighborhood area rather than to the Golden Gate Bridge.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 04:38 PM

Casita de Oro in Gold Beach is the real deal for Mexican food.

Cielito Lindo has great tacos out of an old gas station if you are driving through Brookings.