Search

Christmas snow.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas snow.

I would really like to take my wife away over Christmas to a pretty German town with snowy woodland walks.
Now I know you can’t ever guarantee snow but if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.
This has always been a childhood dream for her and I would love to make it come true.
After a very tough few years she really deserves it.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 07:38 AM

Hi rocketrob015,

Your chances would be far better in Switzerland -- to a high-altitude mountain town like Zermatt or Wengen (both car-free, too, by the way, so very charming).

I live in Garmisch, south of Munich, and although it's a mountain town, we've had a snowy Christmas maybe four or five times in the 12 years I've lived here.

Best of luck to your wife -- hope her next few years will be better. And what a great partner you are!!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 08:01 AM

p.s. These towns slipped my mind -- but others in Switzerland you may want to consider are Pontresina & Scuol.

Have fun!

s
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 03:40 PM

If you come before Christmas you might get in some of the Christmas markets, if they take place this year (and I think this is not yet completely decided). You would need to be there before the 23rd to see markets. Snow is unfortunately getting rarer. Perhaps you could look at some of the cities near the Swiss border like Freiburg, or parts of the Black Forest like Gengenbach or Triberg and follow up with some of the Swiss towns Swandav mentions. Or even visit the Allgäu, where there is actually skiing and mountains and real snow, not just a dusting (Oberstdorf).

Lavandula

Last edited by lavandula; Sep 27th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 03:56 PM

I should also mention that even Oberstdorf may not get Christmas snow - this website says 8 out of every 10 years has snow at Christmas but the most by the middle of February:

https://www.verschoenerungsverein-ob...berstdorf.html (use Google Translate function in Chrome to translate).

So if you time your visit with the maximum snow you will miss the markets in Germany. It's quite a gamble.

Lavandula
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 11:18 AM

Snow is rarely seen before Christmas

Hi rocketrob015,

it is very unklikely that there will be snow in any city in Germany before Christmas. It´s possible but it happens only one or two times in 10 years.
The best would be to go to the very south of Germany to the mountainious regions of Bavaria. Garmisch-Partenkirchen may be a good starting point.

I doubt that there will be snow in Garmisch (which is ca. 700m above sea level) but there´s a lot of mountains around where you could do your woodland walks.
These areas are at a higher sea level so there´s a bigger chance that you´ll find a white scenery there. Also the city of Seefeld in Austria (just 30 minutes by car from Garmisch) may be of your interest. It´s about 1200m above seal level so there´s a higher chance for snow there.

Please go to Google and look for pictures by typing "Graswangtal winter". If this is what you´re looking for Garmisch would be a good starting point.

However please note that snow is more likely in late January or in February than before Christmas.

Let me know if you need more details.