Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London- question re:contactless payment for public transit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to London at the end of this month for six days. We plan use public transportation while in London. I have been trying to learn about public transportation in London by using the TFL website.

I am finding the TFL website somewhat difficult to use. It appears to me that I can use a contactless credit card for “pay as you go” when traveling on any public transportation while in London. For example, for an excursion that we will be taking, we will first be on a bus, then on DLR. Am I correct that all I need to do is tap my credit card in and out when on each of the legs of the trip, and I will automatically be charged the correct fare? Later that same day we will have an excursion using the tube (subway). Same thing? Contactless payment?

Also, it seems (from the website) that if I use my contactless credit card, I don’t need an Oyster card, is that correct? I believe we will only need to take public transportation twice while in London, so if I can use my contactless credit card without having to get an Oyster card, I would be very happy. Can anybody give me some insight? Thank you!!
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:36 PM

Yes, it's as simple as that. Your contactless card acts in the same way as Oyster.

You don't tap out for buses, only tap in.

Increasing use of contactless cards
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58197631

Last edited by sofarsogood; Sep 18th, 2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 10:54 PM

Yes you can use a contactless card to tap on/out of the tube stations.

Use the same card to tap in/out.

Some cards issued overseas might not be accepted and/or there might be fees.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-...On-this-page-0

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 11:14 PM

Be aware that most DLR stations don't have barriers - you have to remember to tap in and out (but the reader machines are usually fairly obviously placed).
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 04:12 AM

None of my US cards are contactless, although I understand several US banks are now offering the facility. Fortunately I also have a British card which I use on TfL. The main thing to remember is, except for buses, to tap the card on the way out. I have been at tube stations where the barriers weren’t working, and it would be easy to forget and end up paying the maximum fare for the route.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for the information and insight! I have used my bank card in the US by tapping, so I am hopeful that it will work on the TfL readers. If not, I'll have to deal with it when I get to London.

Don't know why I find the TfL website so confusing! Seems like finding a fare and how to pay should be straightforward, but it's not!