Naples; Amalfi Coast; Positano; Rome Proposed Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a rough itinerary for our upcoming trip to Italy. We went to Naples and Rome over twenty years ago and are looking forward to returning to these beautiful cities. This will be our first time to Pompeii, Herculum, Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano etc.

Any suggestions for additions/subtractions to this itinerary or other suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you.

NAPLES
  • Saturday; Stoll around Naples; have pizza dinner and wine
  • Sunday; Pompeii.
  • Monday; The Excavations of Herculaneum (Scavi di Ercolano)
  • Tuesday; drink coffee at famous coffee house. walk in the historical centre to admire Piazza del Plebiscito
NAPLES TO SORRENTO
  • Wednesday; wonder around Naples then off to Sorrento
  • Wednesday, Atrani, best seafood in Amalfi Coast, The seafood at the renowned Le Palme
  • Thursday; Capri; Blue Grotto; Take bus straight up to Anacapri for chair lift, take the phoenician steps back down to the marina
  • Friday, Positano, Path of the gods HIKE, 3 miles
  • Saturday, Ravello and Amalfi ? Fiordo di Furore – the only fjord in Italy!
  • Sunday; Maiori and Minori; Vespa through the towns ?
SORRENTO TO ROME
  • Monday; Relax in Sorrento and travel to Rome
  • Tuesday,; Rock Concert
  • Wednesday - Borghese Gallery (Rodin Sculptures here!); wine/cheese/dinner on spanish steps
  • Thursday - Jewish Ghetto walking tour
  • Friday - National Museum/Nightwalk
  • Saturday - Take metro to Cornelia St; Eat/Walk/Gelatto; Ostia Antigua/Nightwalk
  • Sunday - Home

Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 05:50 PM
J62

Other than the fact that you can’t sit and eat on the Spanish Steps it looks like a highly structured and planned trip.

I myself get weary of too much of a good thing so you may find that after a while the ancient ruins all become a blur. It’s ok to skip some and just enjoy the sweet life.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you will explore the Archeological Museum in Naples, as that has the important art and objects from Pompeii and Herculaneum. We actually toured Pompeii and Herculaneum on the same day: A long morning in Pompeii, a quick lunch just outside Pompeii, a short train ride and a walk to Herculaneum, which can easily be toured in 2 hours. Have some room for revision of your itinerary, as Capri and especially the Blue Grotto may be unreachable if the weather/wind/waves do not cooperate with you. Some people advise an overnight on Capri.

When are you planning to go?
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 09:11 PM

Depending on when you go, attending part of Ravello Concert Series would be a lovely capstone to a day in Ravello (see Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo, where the music is in the summer (it moves to a nearby 16th century church in Autumn).
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

We will be there in October.

it is an interesting idea to see both Pompeii and Herculaneum on the same day.

We did not consider the archeological museum in Naples.

Capri should be okay when we are there, however, we will remain flexible.

We will watch sunset on the Spanish Steps, then continue to dinner from there.

Thank you,

Last edited by donnae_b; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 10:33 PM

It sounds great but with your plans for the Amalfi coast and area, I think you should consider staying in Amalfi or Atrani rather than Sorrento. It's a fair journey from Sorrento to Amalfi, which you plan to do several times.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 03:52 AM

I agree with some of the comments:
1) the Naples Archeological museum is a must! Make sure to see the Secret Room!

2) the trip from Sorrento to Atrani is way too long.

3) Personally, I wouldn’t have the stamina to do both Pompeii and Herculaneum in the same day, though it’s doable. But on the same day that we visited Herculaneum, we also visited Villa Poppaea/Oplontis, in Torre Annunziata, a home thought to belong to Nero’s second wife. We loved them all.

In fact, your current itinerary has you using Sorrento as a base but you’re not spending any time there. On Wednesday, you go from Naples to Atrani and back to Sorrento. This really doesn’t make much sense, travel-wise.

So, instead of staying in Sorrento, why don’t you take the ferry from Naples to Capri, and stay in the island 1-2 nights? It is SO much nicer when the day trippers are gone (and I’m assuming there will still be enough travelers).

From there, take the ferry to Amalfi, and stay there or in Atrani for a few days. We stayed in Atrani and fell in love with it. Of course, Amalfi is a larger town and a good base. Either way, the walk from Amalfi to Atrani is all of 5 minutes, once you know the way.

To get to Rome from this end of the Amalfi coast, you can take the ferry to Salerno and then get the train back to Rome. Easy!

We stayed in the most charming guesthouse in Atrani and will, hopefully, be there this October, too! I’ll be happy to share the link to La Scogliera, if interested.

Last edited by progol; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 04:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<1) the Naples Archeological museum is a must! Make sure to see the Secret Room!>>

Progol, having seen the Secret Room in company with a group of teenage french students who had snuck in despite the efforts of the staff and their teachers to keep them out, I'm not sure that I would bother again, but I agree that the MAN is essential, even though it appears that certain parts of it are closed at the moment, including the Secret Room.

https://www.museoarcheologiconapoli....rs-and-prices/

I also agree that your itinerary - Naples - Capri - Amalfi/Atrani - Salerno - Rome is much more efficient, and includes an overnight in Capri when as you say the crowds should have gone.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 06:56 AM

<<Progol, having seen the Secret Room in company with a group of teenage french students who had snuck in despite the efforts of the staff and their teachers to keep them out, I'm not sure that I would bother again, but I agree that the MAN is essential, even though it appears that certain parts of it are closed at the moment, including the Secret Room. >>

annhig, great story about the group of teenaged students! It’s too bad that the Secret Room is closed, but the museum is very much a standout. Don’t miss it!
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beware of depending on ferries for time critical travel, as weather can interfere. Also, October is not high season, so some routes may be unavailable.

You may want to read my trip report, although it is from 2012: The Peabody Papers: A Mostly True Tale of AJ and Mrs. P's Visit to Italy
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 08:15 AM

Consider seeing the underground excavations in Naples. I found them very interesting. One of the archeologists wrote a book about them several years ago and PBS did a documentary.

Do not miss seeing The Veiled Christ in Cappella Sansevero in Naples. It is absolutely unforgettable!!!

Seeing Herculaneum from Naples is easy.

Do not know where you are going to stay, but if you are going to Sorrento, I would stash luggage at the luggage storage at the entrance to Pompeii and visit Pompeii on the way to Sorrento rather than returning to Naples and going to Sorrento a different day. It just makes sense logistically.
You can also catch a ferry to Capri from Sorrento.

Because we have usually been doing a lot of sightseeing and transportation is easy from Sorrento, we have stayed there, but you want to do some hiking, so another place might be better.

Consider seeing Paestum.

I love the Borghese, but the real jewels there are the Bernini sculptures. Don’t miss them. A hint. Since it is a timed visit and terribly crowded at the beginning, see if you can walk straight through and work your way back. It will be less crowded and by time you are back in the first rooms, they will be empty.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 08:41 AM. Reason: More info
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by donnae_b
This is a rough itinerary for our upcoming trip to Italy. We went to Naples and Rome over twenty years ago and are looking forward to returning to these beautiful cities. This will be our first time to Pompeii, Herculum, Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano etc.

Any suggestions for additions/subtractions to this itinerary or other suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you.

NAPLES
  • Saturday; Stoll around Naples; have pizza dinner and wine
  • Sunday; Pompeii.
  • Monday; The Excavations of Herculaneum (Scavi di Ercolano)
  • Tuesday; drink coffee at famous coffee house. walk in the historical centre to admire Piazza del Plebiscito
NAPLES TO SORRENTO
  • Wednesday; wonder around Naples then off to Sorrento
  • Wednesday, Atrani, best seafood in Amalfi Coast, The seafood at the renowned Le Palme
  • Thursday; Capri; Blue Grotto; Take bus straight up to Anacapri for chair lift, take the phoenician steps back down to the marina
  • Friday, Positano, Path of the gods HIKE, 3 miles
  • Saturday, Ravello and Amalfi ? Fiordo di Furore – the only fjord in Italy!
  • Sunday; Maiori and Minori; Vespa through the towns ?
SORRENTO TO ROME
  • Monday; Relax in Sorrento and travel to Rome
  • Tuesday,; Rock Concert
  • Wednesday - Borghese Gallery (Rodin Sculptures here!); wine/cheese/dinner on spanish steps
  • Thursday - Jewish Ghetto walking tour
  • Friday - National Museum/Nightwalk
  • Saturday - Take metro to Cornelia St; Eat/Walk/Gelatto; Ostia Antigua/Nightwalk
  • Sunday - Home
A good list. Did you mention what time of year? I love being based in Sorrento, but if during peak season, you'll come to dread the commute to/from the AC towns.
  • IMO, visiting the Archeological Museum in Naples after visiting Pompeii is preferred. You'll be able to place what you see in the museum with its corresponding spot in Pompeii
  • With Herculaneum, Pompeii, I don't know if the trip to Ostia Antica is justified.
  • Herculaneum & Pompeii: both easy 30-35 min trip via Circumvesuviana. Like mentioned, the luggage storage @ Pompeii station is easy to use.
  • The downhill hike from Ravello to Amalfi is another good trek.
  • For Rome, my hidden gems are always the Capuchin Crypts & the Basilica di San Clemente (4 different eras under one roof!)
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<< For Rome, my hidden gems are always the Capuchin Crypts & the Basilica di San Clemente(4 different eras under one roof!) >>

2idocs, to those I would add the Galleria Doria Pamphilji, the Church of St Cecilia in Trastevere and the chapel in its crypt, and the mosaics in
  • Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica. The central nave of Santa Maria Maggiore basilica. ...
  • Santa Prassede Basilica. Mosaics-decorated apsis and central nave of Santa Prassede basilica. ...
  • Santa Pudenziana Basilica. ...
  • Santi Cosma and Damiano Basilica. ...
  • Caracalla Baths.
Being Rome, there will be thousands more but you'd need several life times to see them.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 03:31 PM

The Sentiero degli Dei (path of the Gods) is more than 3miles from Bomerano to Nocelle and a little further (but easy) to walk to Montepertuso and a much steeper walk down to Positano. There is a bus from Nocelle to Positano if you prefer to not walk down (pretty sure you may need to buy a ticket before boarding, as is normal in Italy). It's not a difficult hike but it would be a shame to rush it. I would do this first thing in the morning (catch the bus from Amalfi to Bomerano), ending in Positano. There are bars in Bomerano for your morning caffeine hit. I recommend taking some fruit or other picnic snacks, just because it's so pleasant to stop on the way.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 03:36 PM

I looked it up and positano.com says 7.8km from Bomerano to Nocelle. That website suggests 3hrs but of course that will vary depending on the walker (and the weather).
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 08:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You mentioned a seafood dinner. One of the best we have ever had was on Capri, Bagni Delfino down in the Marina Grande.
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Blue Grotto Disappointing

I adore Italy albeit, for the time and money spent on Blue Grotto, it was disappointing.
Lots of hands out for tips and in the cave for 5 min.