Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where in Italy have you proposed to someone or where has someone proposed to you?

Search

where in Italy have you proposed to someone or where has someone proposed to you?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just getting some ideas for the future
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM

My husband proposed to me during a gondola ride in Venice on New Year's Eve. After the gondola ride, we trained to Florence and watched the fireworks while sitting on the Ponte Vecchio. I had no idea he was going to propose. We had dated for 8 years and he always told me he didn't want to get married.

On our second night in Venice (the start of our 2 1/2 week trip) I told my boyfrind, "I looked at the bank account and I know you're not going to ask me to marry you because you haven't bought a ring, but I just want to say I think it would be really romantic if you proposed in Italy."

He told me I was right...he wasn't going to propose. However, two days later (our last day in Venice) we took the gondola ride and he surprised me with the proposal. Turns out he bought the ring on the store's credit so I wouldn't find out.

So, even though it seems cliched to propose in a gondola, it is one of those things that make a really great engagement story...and your fiancee will tell the story of your proposal over and over again. Like a proposal at the top of the Eiffel Tower, some things are just quintessentially romantic.

When you propose, I'd encourage you to do it at the beginning of your trip so you can celebrate your engagement in Italy longer...just wait to propose until the jet lag has worn off. Congratulations!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
ira

When I was younger, several women proposed to me in Venice.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Alas,actually it is for my daughter.
Her boyfriend is going to propose to her in Italy and has asked me for suggestions...

I personally cant think of a more romantic place than Venice. But I told him I would pose the question here for other ideas.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:58 PM

Venice would be a fabulous place to propose.

If they're going elsewhere, Amalfi Coast would be nice too....or Lake Como maybe? Although I've never been there, I've always wanted to go (and be on the lookout for Clooney and his villa - Teehee)
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM

My husband proposed to me on New Year's Eve in Lucca...it was wonderful. Probably not because it was Lucca but because the love of my life was proposing to me! I probably would have been just as happy if it happened in Detroit.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:49 PM

Ira: "When I was younger, several women proposed to me in Venice."

If not for the presence of your much respected and obviously well beloved LW, there would be hordes of Fodorite females clamoring for your...hand...in posts every day.

Are you unaware, sir, that you have legions of fans?

Perhaps you aren't. That is part of your charm, unlike that devil Degas who is probably at this moment consuming a heap of consolatory chittlins as he morosely contemplates his credit card statements, pondering the benefits of a return to his unimaginably lucrative gigolo life.

You see, there's a fascinating spectrum of the male species on this board: SatanInDior to maitaitom, Robespierre to famousuncleart, Rex and the Budman, Indytravel and (maybe) M_Kingdom2, lots of personalities and personas who contribute their valuable individual perspectives.

Some are grouchy one day, gracious the next. There are those who border on brillance and others who seem more approachable. Some of them have wit like a laser and ohers play the buffoon. They all, in one way or another, amuse and educate us.

But when we're out there, wandering around the world with passports in hand, it's good to know that you, Ira, always leave a light(bulb) on at home.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM

Speaking of which, Ira, what happened to the lightbulb on your above post??

Or are admissions about your Venetian past best disclosed under cover of darkness?

Pray, elaborate...I'm curious and degas, God knows, needs guidance.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM

I too was proposed marriage in Venice. It was after a wonderful dinner at Alle Testiere (sp?). My DF (are still not married) dragged me into a doorway and surprised me.

After, he told me that he was carrying the ring around for two days waiting for the right time. We had the rest of our vacation to celebrate.

I offer a suggestion... do not buy a ring without your fiancee. Let her pick it out. You will have a happier bride. Give her a cheap ring so she something to wear and show.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM

Yes - my ex proposed to me (the third time I think) in Sorrento - about midnight - on the private terrace of our room overlooking the Bay Of Naples. The setting was incredibly romantic as was the potential groom.

Unfortunately as I later came to realize he wasn't really husband material (WAY too attached to his parents - and not nearly as smart and ambitious as he thought he was). But when you're 25 and being swept off your feet sometimes your brain doesn;t exactly operate at full capacity.

I had enough sense to temporize then - but eventually gave in - to my long regret.

(To all the young girls out there - divorce can be extremely messy - don;t get married until you are 1) absolutely positive and 2)have fully protected your own financial interests.)
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Pardon me Madame,
But isnt Degas guiding us?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM

Ah NYTraveler, I certainly agree 100% with your thinking!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM

Sigh...I will say this only once in my lifetime...when it comes to degas, 'tis all in jest.

You have only to read his post "Lantern Floating Stirs Emotions" to understand why, despite his self-described hulking, hairy corpulence (the depths of whose horridness I shudder to envision) degas is the poster whose complexities most intrigue me.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

madame,
I too jest.
I hang on degas' every word.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM

Is nice to see that so many ladies were proposed in sunny Italy.
Life is sure strange indeed, I am A Roman but I was proposed by my American future Husband in Frankfurt, however, I was married in my native city, so I dont feel bad..
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:50 PM

My husband proposed underwater while scuba diving in Cozumel. Tied the ring to his wetsuit with multiple devices and proposed by writing the question on a dive slate. It was a wonderful experience - the divemaster was almost more excited than we were!

I know this isn't a totally relevant answer (ie: it didn't take place in Italy) - however, if Italian scuba diving is on the agenda, it's an idea!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi CM,

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:09 AM

Ira, did the women "propose" or "proposition" you??
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
On our last trip, I proposed to the lovely woman at our Siena hotel. However, before she could answer me, Tracy walked in, surmised what was going on and hit me in the head with a hard roll. When I woke up, Tracy and our friends already had me in the car on the road out of town. I guess I'll never know the answer.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
ira

Hi speckles
>Ira, did the women "propose" or "proposition" you??

Hmmmm, now that you mention it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -