Lake stop in Switzerland

Search

Lake stop in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2021, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake stop in Switzerland

I am planning a trip in Switzerland, going from Zurich to Luzern, then to a lake stop in Interlaken, Thun or Spiez before moving on to Zermatt and finally home from Geneva. My question is where to stay for a couple of days in the Interlaken, Thun, Spiez area before moving on to Zermatt. Trip will be in September. Would appreciate guidance from anyone who has spent some time in the area and can compare the three possibilities. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 06:14 AM

Hi JulieVikmanis,

I adore Thun. It's a lovely town with excellent rail links and a gorgeous situation on the lake.

Here's a photo out if my hotel room in Hilterfingen (good bus links to Thun).

s

Old Jul 1st, 2021, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav. We've been to Thun and really liked it but I didn't want to make the choice without getting opinion from others who might have had opportunity to see all three. I'd trust your opinion any time, and since it matches mine, I'm now much more certain I'll make the right pick. Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 08:18 AM

Hi again,

I also like Spiez but have never overnighted there. The thing that dissuades me is that the town is up the hill, while at the lake there's not a lot (well... the castle and a few restaurants).

Interlaken is fine, but all of the hotels I could find were on the river, not either of the lakes. So if you want stunning lake views backed by mountains, I think Thun or one of the small towns on the north side.

Thanks for the kind words, and have fun!

s