Two for Virginia - first week in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2021, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A trip for four to NC has just become eight days for two vaccinated seniors in Virginia. Our plan is to have no plan except to check the forecast a day or two in advance and to head for wherever it's drier and warmer - spend two or three days and repeat somewhere else. I've check different lists of best small towns and they seem to be clustered between Alexandria and Charlottesville and the Orancock area. We are not limiting ourselves to just that area.

We would love to hear about any of your, "you must see (or taste)" towns, restaurants or scenery.

We've never visited Virginia and are looking forward to our roadtrip.

thanks
blej
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 09:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw your change of plans in your other thread. If you want to stay near the ocean, drive down to Cape May NJ and take the ferry to Lewes DE. Take 1 south all the way to Ocean City MD. Take US 50 west to Salisbury MD to get on US 13 south into Virginia.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 12:40 PM

My late husband was from Virginia and we have visited many parts of it over the years in combination with visiting parents. My favorite section is around Charlottesville and you can combine it with a visit to Monticello, Jefferson's home. If you have a few more minutes stop and see the Rotunda building on the grounds of UVA (University of Virginia), also designed by Thomas Jefferson. Then get on I-64 East toward Ocracoke. The drive from Charlottesville to Ocracoke will take over 6 hours so unless you are in a big rush I would build in an overnight stop en route. Maybe you will see some redbud and dogwood in bloom in the Blue Ridge mountains.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 03:06 PM

If you follow TomFuller’s tips, don’t miss Berlin, MD {20 minutes fro Ocean City} Berlin is a cute historic town with good restaurants, shopping including Antiques. [Richard Gere and Julia Roberts filmed Runaway Bride there 20 years ago]
Another vote for Monticello- house and gardens, UVA, downtown Charlottesville and nearby Culpeper with great shopping and restaurants and cute downtown too.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 06:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
In the early spring a few years ago my wife and I spent a marvelous few days along the foothills in eastern Virginia. We stayed for a couple of (pretty weird, to be honest) nights at the Homestead Resort in Warm Springs, drove part of Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park, spent a couple of terrific days touring Charlottesville including Monticello, and just bounced around the region. One unexpected highlight was a visit to Jefferson's "second" home, Poplar Forest, near Lynchburg. We flew in and out of Washington DC.

Here are a few pictures from that trip; hope they help.

University of Virginia campus (designed by Thomas Jefferson) in Charlottesville

Monticello, Jefferson's home in Charlottesville

Along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park

Homestead resort - home course of Sam Snead. Very elegant and awesomely old-fashioned place - quite a throwback experience.

The Jefferson Pools at the Homestead - building over the hot springs, designed by Thomas Jefferson (now being renovated reportedly.)

Poplar Forest, Jefferson's second home, near Lynchburg

Miscellaneous scenes from driving around

Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 08:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Of course I meant to say western Virginia.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 07:02 PM

Great photos Gardyloo, thanks for bringing back wonderful memories! I have not been to Poplar Forest, but definitely will in the next year.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all. Gardyloo super photos. Made lots of notes. Just received second vaccine today. If no side effects we may take off tomorrow, stop in New Castle, Delaware and then to Charlottesville the following day. Any suggestions on where to stay - either in Charlottesville itself or outside the city? Good chance we'll stay a couple of days in the city and 2 or 3 outside in the country. Good size room, nice breakfasts would be perfect. Any special eating places?

Hope to sign back in soon,
blej

Old Mar 29th, 2021, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily split a five day visit to Charlottesville between city & country.

I would, however, do a little advance work on what you want to see and make sure it's all open when you're there. Most every place is welcoming people but historic homes, wineries, breweries, restaurants, parks, museums, etc may have abbreativated hours or days of operation still in place b/c of covid.

It's a beautiful time of year to visit.

Of course I meant to say western Virginia.

Charlottesville and environs is actually central Virginia, or the Piedmont. Matters mostly for those doing future searches. Your photos are lovely.