Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family trip to Virginia / Williamsburg / Virginia beach

May 14th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

OK, we are a family of five - two adults, kids who are 15, 13, and 6. We have 4-5 days in the Williamsburg area. Plan on a day a Colonial W-burg, and would like to get a day or two at a beach somewhere within a few hours. First, what beyond Colonial W-burg should we do and secondly, can someone recommend a beach area for our age group?
May 14th, 2003, 08:39 PM

You could consider getting a combo pass to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Water Country USA - Anheuser Busch owns both, they have lots of fun attractions at Water Country with wave pool, etc. BGW has lots of rides, there may be a few the 6yo is too short to ride but many things you can do together. I guarantee the teens will LOVE Water Country and BGW, we have season passes this year. Virginia Beach is about 90 minutes away, instead you may want to drive down the Colonial Parkway 15 minutes to Yorktown and go to the beach on the York River there, or cross the Coleman Bridge over the York to Gloucester and use the public Gloucester Point beach. Spend a half day at Jamestown Settlement and half day at Yorktown Victory Center.
May 15th, 2003, 05:47 AM

With kids the ages of yours, Joy's suggestion about BuschGardens / WaterCountry is good. It's been years, but I didn't like the beaches at Yorktown and Gloucester Point all that much. I'd be inclined to go to Va Beach or Cape Hatteras. Or even Oceanview (Norfolk) area or First Landing (formerly Sea Shore?) park.

You will find 1 day in Colonial Williamsburg either too long, or way too short. There are also a number of things to see and do in nearby Newport News and Hampton. Harbor Cruises and the Air Museum (forget the full name) in Hampton, and your 6yo would enjoy the old carousel next door. Have fun!
May 15th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I live in the Virginia Beach area and there are more things to do here than you'll have time for!

I agree that Busch Gardens and Water Country are a must. There's a section of WC that has rides for the little ones, so your 6 year old won't feel left out.

Do take the time to visit Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center. Joy is right, half a day is plenty to do those. The drive along Colonial Parkway is very pretty.

I'm partial I guess - I think Virginia Beach is fine for spending a day or two in the sun. The boardwalk is fun to walk up and down, there are bikes to rent, food stands on the beach, a small Coast Guard/lighthouse museum between 21st and 22nd streets, and of course all of the cheesey and fun touristy shops one block over! Interstate 264 east takes you right to the beach. There are always plenty of families there who pack lunches and spend the day.

Virginia Beach also has an aquarium and also a water park, Glouster(?) Street in Williamsburg near the Trellis restaurant has lots of quaint shops and one with just candies, wine and beer, Hampton has the Air and Space Museum, Williamsburg has several factory/shopping outlets.....as you can see, the possibilities are endless.

Enjoy your trip!
May 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM

If you like quieter beaches than the boardwalk variety, look at the Sandbridge area of VA Beach south of the boardwalk. Take a map so that if the signs say the Hampton Roads tunnel is backed up you can find the alternate over the Monitor-Merrimac.
On the day you go to Jamestown pick up a Cheese Shop picnic and stop at one of the river beaches on the Parkway.
If you like the outdoors there are some great easy hikes at York River State Park a couple of exits north of Wmsbg off 64. They also have ranger-led canoe tours of the marshlands. Or rent paddle boats at Waller Mill Park off Airport Rd.
Play mini golf at Pirates Cove on Bypass or (more low-key and prettier) the mini golf on Richmond Rd. near Wendy's. Then go for Sno Cones at Sno-to-Go on Richmond Rd. A MUST,TRUST ME!
Check the CW newsletter for kid-oriented activities there. Your 6 yo might enjoy renting a colonial costume for the day.
Other activities you may enjoy depending on interests are: the VA Living Museum, a nature museum in Newport News, the Mariners Museum, great if you have any interest in boats, also in NN, the Air and Space Museum in Hampton, Nauticus, a Science and Naval museum in Norfolk, and boat tours past the Naval base in Norfolk. Your 6 yo would love the VA Children's Museum in Portsmouth. Someone could take the others over to the MacArthur Center Mall 10 min. away in Norfolk.
Some of our fav. family restaurants are: Casa Maya mexican on Bypass, Sals by Victor italian on Richmond, Paul's Deli across from W&M stadium. Have fun!